exclusive images of the ICS AK74-M and AK74-S

FarEast

FarEast pretty much hits it on the nose.

Anyway...

ICS just doesn't understand the basic principals of building a gearbox. Hence my statment about yanking out the gearbox and hop and replacing with CA ones.

I was under the impression that pretty much everything inside the 2006-2007 ICS (ie the newest versions) gearboxes was TM compatible. The hop-up, again, from what I've read is superior to the CA one. The gearbox is certainly superior to the CA in its split design, although it supposedly cannot stand up to heavier springs.

I've owned 2 ICS M4s and CA G36K, so I can't really comment on CA's M4 line. The first ICS M4 I bought was utter ######. Evike.com sold me an older than 2006 version (even though their website claimed that they sold the newest version). The gun promptly died on me, had to be RMAed twice.

I bought an up-to-date version (the 2006 version) and it has performed fabulously, although at my last skirmish the hop-up did die. I'd say for a year's use in fairly regular play having to replace the hop-up unit is a small price to pay. Other than that I've had stellar performance out of it, even running with a higher than forum limits FPS.

Just my experience.

As far as I know they still have the same odd cut gears, the new motor still whines and they still dont' know how to shim a freaking gearbox.

Fareast, I understand having to have those be different, but the least they could do is at least make it so you can use TM based parts with them. If you use a TM based nozzle on an ICS hop you get an air leak and loose power. I don't have an issue with the way it works with ICS parts, I just hate having to source ICS nozzles! It's exceptionaly limiting when it comes to upgrades. If you want to get the best preformance out of your upgrades you HAVE to use ICS upgrades or swap the whole dang thing out.

For example, my roomie has an 2006 ICS M4. It screeches MORE than my JG M16. I hinged it open and pulled the motor and the gears have about .3-.6mm of play. That is unacceptable! The gun LOOKs fantastic, so we are going to replace the barrel with a CA (so I can use another hop up, plus it's just a better barrel), the HOP with a Gaurder, Gears with some spare CA I have, Motor with a spare CA, TM Piston, Piston head, cylinder and a gaurder airseal nozzle, gaurder bushings and reshim.

After I do that he'll have an AMAZING gun running basicly stock.

Sounds pretty much like what I do to my Tokyo Marui's..... in fact its got to the point now where I buy the gear box and then build the gun from scratch!

I just leave my TM's stock and let them run forever. If I want a high power gun I get a CA. For example, my roomies TM G3SG1 is about 4 years old and has never been opened up and will run just as well as anything else on the field.

Archived