BIOVAL BBB DIMPLEX

SlickAxe

They do exist! For those who are already several years into airsoft, they might remember several newspost back in April 2007. Then the BBBDIMPLEX were already 5 years in development and announced to the public, however no release date was set unfortunately. These BBBDIMPLEX are based on the principle of a golf ball, the BBB's are still biodegradable and nature friendly. The pattern of the golf ball will improve accuracy and distance with and without hop-up. Check out the first details available on the prototype...

http://www.nlairsoft.com/archive.php?action=show&id=1318

interesting idea, but will it make a significant difference in practice. also i reckon they'll be hellishly expensive, especially if they're made to a good enough standard to work reliably with tight barrels with that odd shape.

could take off though, they should definitely do some heavier ones (0.36+) as i can see these being quite popular with snipers... that is if they actually make a noticeable difference.

I like how they say the dimple BBs have "considerably better performance" but don't post any of the actual data to back it up.

Sorry, but I'm not going to just take their word for it. Until actual test data is available (preferably from an outside source) I will remain skeptical.

Accuracy at 10M? 33 (ish) feet? Here is something I fail to understand about "accuracy tests." A BB in flight does not necessarily follow a standardized path that can be figured out from grouping sizes at 10M. If you have a 100ft range why not set it up at 30m to 40m where the strange effects of a BB can be fully seen or you know, where a lot of engagements may happen? Especially if you have a 100m range.... honestly.

Without hop up it may not matter much but aerodynamics and dimples on BB's they could destabillize on their own and provide much more erratic shot groups. With Hop up this is a test that needs to be redone simply because you dont know what a BB is going to do at the end of a flight produced with hop up. I've seen BB's come out of a 550fps rifle go laser level flat and in the same spot untill it reaches it's max range (about 230ft) then fly off in every which direction because the BB's hop up finally destabilized the BB enough that it couldnt stay in the air.

I personally dont think anyone really cares what a BB is going to do within 10M, because getting sub inch groupings doesnt really matter when your target is basically unmissable. The real test will be how these perform at a distance. We also dont know how these will be effected by wind either but I'm not expecting a manufacturer to test that.

I await the review personally.

Could be a nice way for snipers to get great quality BB's at the right weights... Since Digicon Straight stopped making the .43's and .36's.

I e-mailed Bioval about it, and this was the response;

"Hi Ben,

Thanks for your interest and thinking. We will certainly consider this.

Currently we have 0.30 BBB’s and 0.27 BBBMAX. Especially the BBBMAX can also be ideal for snipers!

We will keep the community informed.

Kind Regards,

Herman Boer

Sales & Public Relations

Airsoft Assist"

I received a response in around half an hour, very prompt, friendly, and receptive to the airsoft community.

I think companies like this should be encouraged, and I for one hope that they do start making sniper weight BB's, so I can buy loads.

Their normal range is perfectly round, like Maruzen SGM's, but they don't do heavyweights yet. When this new golf-ball like model comes out, I want some .36's!

Instead of dissecting their test results (which they've put on their site openly), maybe we should wait 'til they come out, and buy some.

Ben.

Isn't the point of the dimples on a golf ball to increase the momentum of the boundary layer so that separation occurs further downstream in order that the drag is reduced?

I somehow don't think a bb is big enough to suffer from the same issues of BL separation as a golf ball.

If they're saying this will work like it does for golf balls then i will be the first skeptic :)

The concept of dimples was discussed a few years back in some forums I was reading at the time. Which ones, I dont recall. IIRC, someone had made a small custom batch for themselves and tested them and found that the dimples had practically no effect. They attributed this to the fact that the dimples are so tiny on a ball that is only 6mm round. Whether or not that data means anything in this scenario, I dont know. Id have to look around for it to see what other information was offered. Ill post it if I can find it.

Instead of dissecting their test results (which they've put on their site openly), maybe we should wait 'til they come out, and buy some.

Ben.

Ben I was merely pointing out that the tests dont prove anything about increased accuracy at standard combat conditions. For a sniper to know what he wants for his BB's he's going to want accuracy tests at greater than 10m because chances are he isnt going to be blasting away players at 33feet... (If he is then he's in violation of my local rules :D) If I were going to advertise an ultimately accurate BB then I'd want the tests out past 100 ft because thats where accuracy counts, not at 33 ft :) I just think it would have been more advantageous to do long range tests when you have a 100 meter indoor range then doing a 10m test... It makes me personally think they are hiding something.

The .27's are intresting. I may pick up a couple to use a standard rounds provided they are cheap enough and come in a relativly large count (like 2500ish for 13$?) That'd be rocking, then they'd become a standard IF they proved to be telling the truth about accuracy and range improvement.

The .27's are intresting. I may pick up a couple to use a standard rounds provided they are cheap enough and come in a relativly large count (like 2500ish for 13$?) That'd be rocking, then they'd become a standard IF they proved to be telling the truth about accuracy and range improvement.

The .27s aren't cheap at all... They are around $25 for 2000 rounds, and $38 for 3,700 rounds :blink:. Not sure how well they work as I refuse to pay that much for BBs, but my friend likes to waste his money from his job on them. I can't take his comments on them because his is a big noob, and most are pretty much like what is typed by immature people on forums...

They did 6 years of research since 2002, i am sure they know what they are doing...

I didnt say that the Biovals didnt work. Im just saying that a similar concept once failed. Supposing these BBs dont live up to their creators expectations, after six years of research I doubt theyd let us know before they tried to recover R&D costs. Im hoping they do work, however.

To clear this up a bit, we're talking about the two different types of Biodegradeble BB that Bioval currently make, aren't we.

The one you can buy now is the perfectly round (apparently to tighter tolerances than normal BB's), biodegradable ammo, of which there is also a premium version. They are meant to be pretty nice BB's for general use, but I've never bought any, so I wouldn't know.

Then there are these new golfball-like dimpled BB's, Dimplex. I'm pretty interested in these, and if they make the .36, I'll pick some up and test them myself.

Ben.

The .27s aren't cheap at all... They are around $25 for 2000 rounds, and $38 for 3,700 rounds :blink:. Not sure how well they work as I refuse to pay that much for BBs, but my friend likes to waste his money from his job on them. I can't take his comments on them because his is a big noob, and most are pretty much like what is typed by immature people on forums...

:blink: Oi... thats a little tooo steep considering I'm paying all of 11$ a bag now as is for my AE .25's... Maybe, by some strange luck... these will be cheaper? 0.o Of course providing they actually live up to what they are expected to be... Kinda like the TK Twist barrels, they may be a novelty here in the states for some reason. Sometimes I wish the US had lower FPS requirements... honestly. I could purchase a stock gun and never have to fiddle with the internals!!!

Anyways... I await, eagerly results of accuracy, and then in that once in a blue moon that I decide to purchase another sniper rifle and maybe actually get serious into it (hah) these will have some use.

• 1 year later...

Archived