KTW: Flintlock pistol replica

Horsem4n

i think its redonkulously underpowered because of the mechanism and plastic piston. being the fact that it looks like the piston rides the gears back and forth, its cant be good for the mech to have a strong spring. and they may not want to make it unaffordable by including a metal piston. the gun is bound to be high quality on the outside though.

lets just hope it has a nice enough hop to send, atleast, .2g BBs 60 feet, 100 being ideal.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aparently, KTW wants to wip out a new, unorthidox, gat... O.o

FEAST YOUR EYES!!!!!!

ktw_flintlock_2707.jpg

not that strong being .4j, but hopefully they are cheap so i can stuff my pants full of them.

from the pics, it looks to have a way to adjust hop up, via the hole in the top of the chamber. the ram rod acts as the mag, which is alright in my book, but it means that reloading isnt simple. the hammer appears to draw a piston back and (maybe) setting the flint in the forward position could be a safety?

the gears are metal, but the whole box is plastic, which is a bit of a disappointment. but hell, could still be a pre production prototype.

id definitely consider one if it isnt expensive. but since when is KTW affordable? i just want to shove one in my pants and yell some pirate one liners... O.o...

how bout double barreled versions next?

source:

http://airsoft-news.eu/comment.php?comment.news.3492

Reminds me of my friends custom Gas flintlock

Hmm, theres been a thread or dozen here over time about what people wanted, and one of the top contenders has always been a flintlock.

Seems like KTW has had an ear on the ground.

Don't know about overpriced, though, if the gears and spring can take the use, then this whole thing is going to be pretty innovative for a springer. Going to have to see what the price point will be.

Am seeing some absolutely crazy expectations here... Lets face it guys, it's gonna a be extremely low powered and If it can drive a BB to 50' I'd be extremely surprised... Take it for what it is a fun novelty pistol with some pretty sever limitations due to the design of the original - the piston stroke would appear to be about 1" after all...

I urge you all to take a close look at those cogs.

They are not attached to the hammer, they are attached to the TRIGGER.

How on earth is this thing going to work!!!

(i might get it and stick in a gas mech.)

(i might get it and stick in a gas mech.)

Yeah I noticed that too... confuses the mechanic in me to death....

Also note that the three gears go nowhere and do nothing. I mean, They end up turning the smallest gear relatively quickly, But it's not driving anything! It can't be driving the piston, as that'd require some more teeth sticking out to engage the rack, which I can't see...

This is quite bizzare.

I've been wondering about that myself - either it's a convoluted release mechanism for the piston or there's still working out the mechanics...

The trigger and doghead can't be directly connected as the doghead needs to turn through at least 45 degrees and the trigger movement is far smaller. However, it looks like a quarter turn of that biggest cog is precisely enough to pull back the piston which leads me to think that the trigger on that cog either only appears to be attached to the cod (trick of the light perhaps?) or it's a pic of an early prototype or something deliberately misleading....

Also note that the three gears go nowhere and do nothing. I mean, They end up turning the smallest gear relatively quickly, But it's not driving anything! It can't be driving the piston, as that'd require some more teeth sticking out to engage the rack, which I can't see...

Note the squared axle on the smallest cog, which would indicate something more to be added, which makes sense as those gears all appear to be on the sidewall and not the centreline anyway...

Bizarre indeed!!

EDIT: a bit of photoshop jiggerypokery reveals the trigger is indeed separate from that gear...

post-16583-1248866879_thumb.jpg

I think I've sussed it....

flintlockmech.jpg

Pulling back the doghead cranks back the piston (via the as yet unseen gear to be added to the axle of the smaller one) until it engages on the trigger sear.

That just leaves the matter of the spring. It could be getting a straight line spring in the standard manner, though there's no sign of a mounting for a spring guide. I'm beginning to suspect the spring might be a coil type mounted around the doghead axle and driving the piston via the geartrain... Though that's pure speculation - there's obviously a few key parts missing form that pic...

I'm pretty jazzed about this thing. It's now the oldest gun to be replicated for airsoft, isn't it? I'll probably pick one up, even though it doesn't fit with my usual Western load-out. (I guess it could still function as "my grandfather's gun.")

Well, they got this going on:

KTW: M73 carbine wood stock set I must admit that I have a soft spot for KTW's products - they look fantastic. Their newest product is M73 carbine wood stock set. Made out of American walnut with oil finish. Available on 8/7, price is 18800 Yen (140.64 Eur).

ktw_winchester_walnut_3007.jpg

So maby a flintlock can be modded out of this, if not KTW can make one?

To me it looks like the trigger is a separate item pivoting on the same shaft as the sector gear.

You cock the gun with the hammer, which spins all 3 gears and pulls the piston back.

The piston latches on that hook at the front of the trigger.

You pull the trigger.

Hammer is released, gears spin opposite way, pushing piston forward again.

BB coughs out the muzzle at lousy velocity.

Repeat.

At the moment, the only bit that puzzles me is how BBs are loaded.

Obviously the cylinder will be spring-loaded. Whether you'll press on the loading rod in the muzzle to load a BB or summat is anybody's guess.

I might have an idea on the feeding; they cheat.

Looking at the front of the cylinder, there's room for a spring that'd push it BACKWARDS; but no way of attaching one that pushes it forwards.

I think that what they're doing is having the cylinder retracted as standard, and when it's fired, the piston pushes the cylinder forwards, chambering a round and firing in the same action.

I must say, though, I hope to god I'm wrong. If KTW are making a springer that fires from an open bolt, I think I'll cry...

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd just post here instead of creating a new thread about this, has anyone heard any more about this? Or has it creeped into the abyss of nothingness?

I was looking forward to getting one and having an excuse to get a pirate outfit, run round a site dressed as a stinking pirate! :sling::death:

• 9 months later...

Archived