Ninja covers the toy fair

cazboab

While it's a bit unorthodox, I see the reasoning behind it. Using powerlets makes a replica too powerful for much of the regions - rendering it more for plinking than play - and also limits the customers since now they have no use for it since it wouldn't be allowed on any field. This way it's still a springer, meaning it's upgradeable with the usual springer parts, and turns what is essentially a cheap clone into a semi-auto GBB (albeit simulated) without the issues of power and wear.

It reminds me of the old Marushin M1 Carbine that used a separate tank purely for blowback, while the primary tank was for propulsion. Although that one was shell ejecting too but that's unrelated.

What I'd like to see is a kit using this system that I could install into other springers, that would sell a lot more than a specific replica and is far easier to manufacture and market given the legal issues with different gun licenses. They're only doing an SVD first since Soviet arms are easy to copy since there is no trademark to infringe upon.

The delay would be negligible, since the piston could theoretically hit something to trigger the gas before it completed compression, although I don't think it's going to be that complex. Striking a pin on compression would be enough, we're talking in miliseconds here so it's not noticeable. The only catch is if you fired it rapidly, cooldown would likely cause blowback to stop functioning, but if you're shooting it that fast you're doing it wrong.

What I see a bit problematic is that with these spring tensions and pressures the materials need to be quite a bit above average otherwise the gun will disintegrate. Heavy bolt ramming battery will leave a mark. If the gun APS is offering is just a modified A&K running a complete bolt carrier with co2 piston as a "gas piston" not sure can it take it for long. Steel all the way and hard rubber buffers.

I'm guessing the bolt will be lightweight and the spring will be fairly weak. It also will likely not be upgradeable since one you start messing with the spring the amount of gas needed to blow the bolt back will change, and unless they add a way to manage the amount of gas used (unlikely with powerlets) it will quickly be over/under powered. One way around this is to build the thing like a tank so stiffer springs will still work.

They could possibly offer different power option kits or a NPAS to allow adjustment, but if the Co2 is unregulated - as powerlets would suggest - then there really isn't anywhere to manage the gas amount.

This is likely going to be adjusted just right for a specific power band and offer some mild upgrade potential given the boundaries of the design. Maybe with some work it could be taken further, using regulated Co2 to allow for adjusting the power needed to cycle different springs and negate the shot to gas ratio with a larger tank. But then you're going external and some don't want that.

It's intriguing but I'm not regretting my RS SVD purchase just yet.

Yeah but then were talking a gun that is a gimmick, blinker with not much value as a serious tool.

The concept is nice though. Can't wait to see what they have actually come up with. Hope some manufacturers sniff the breeze of potential market and jump the bandwagon. Finally a hard kicking AK running consistent and at par with AEGs, yes please.

Archived