Masada "real-size" handguard?

vorpalbunnie

I thought the PTS Masada was exactly the same dimensions as the real steel one, apparently not:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/catalog/product/gallery/image/86954/id/19100/

I reported about this when I first got my samples prior to the production release of the ACR almost two years ago. The handguards were originally slightly enlarged to allow for regular large batteries. This new one has been a long time coming and is slimmer with less space for battery storage in order to be more accurate to the real deal. That said, I personally don't think most people will bother to upgrade since the difference is so slight. 90% of airsofters will probably never hold/use a real ACR and most probably would be indifferent. For purists though, I can see this being important.

I simply see this as a stupid method for PTS to rob ACR owners of more money. Just my two cents.

You do realize no one is under any obligation to buy this right? And you do realize that everyone who's bought ACR's up until now will still have handguards that are fine regardless of whether or not they buy this particular handguard? Back when the ACR was undergoing development, they surveyed some of the major distributors and asked which they'd prefer: a handguard that can hold large NiMH/NiCad batteries (which was the norm back then) or a dimensionally accurate handguard that'd only accommodate, stick, small, or lipo type batteries. The overwhelming response from the majority of distributors was that they wanted the the former of the two as they feared that a large portion of the airsoft community would shy away from a gun that could only house smaller batteries. Distributors' feedback was that so long as the dimensions weren't that far off (especially when they compared SLA prototypes of either version and couldn't really tell a big difference), that it would be acceptable to have a slightly larger handguard than real steel spec and would increase sales which was their priority concern. And PTS listened.

Back when the ACR was undergoing development, they surveyed some of the major distributors and asked which they'd prefer: a handguard that can hold large NiMH/NiCad batteries (which was the norm back then) or a dimensionally accurate handguard that'd only accommodate, stick, small, or lipo type batteries. The overwhelming response from the majority of distributors was that they wanted the the former of the two as they feared that a large portion of the airsoft community would shy away from a gun that could only house smaller batteries. Distributors' feedback was that so long as the dimensions weren't that far off (especially when they compared SLA prototypes of either version and couldn't really tell a big difference), that it would be acceptable to have a slightly larger handguard than real steel spec and would increase sales which was their priority concern. And PTS listened.

I´m not nearly the earliest lipo user but two years back I had long been using LiPo. Large NIMH and NICDs we´re practically obsolete, as they´re now. Not something with your UscmCorps, but I think those distributors asked had a lack of market vision and did a far from accurate estimation. No serious airsofter dishing 450$+ for a MASADA would stick to a weighty, bulky, unrealiable NIMH battery. Not nowadays and most certainly not two years ago.

I´m not nearly the earliest lipo user but two years back I had long been using LiPo. Large NIMH and NICDs we´re practically obsolete, as they´re now. Not something with your UscmCorps, but I think those distributors asked had a lack of market vision and did a far from accurate estimation. No serious airsofter dishing 450$+ for a MASADA would stick to a weighty, bulky, unrealiable NIMH battery. Not nowadays and most certainly not two years ago.

And then there was vorpal.....

Too paranoid to get a lipo...

Yeah, I've been using lipos for about 3+ years now. While some distributors tend to be a little slow in recognizing industry change and what the contemporary airsofter wants, they also look at it from a sales standpoint: lipo users are still in the global minority, even today (and it was much more dramatic back then). Distributors and dealers always want to make sure that they have the majority of the market covered as that's how they ensure their sale numbers would be high. Ask any distributor which would do better: a niche product or a product the masses want. The niche product might still sell well, but the majority consumer product is the sure thing and guaranteed sale.

And then there was vorpal.....

Too paranoid to get a lipo...

You just have to take the necessary precautions.

So, the A&K Masada grips would be closer to the right size then?

It's all relative. The A&K Masada is as a whole scaled slightly smaller than the real deal. The PTS Masada is scaled more accurately to the real deal (though the lower receiver is a couple milimeters wider than the RS to accommodate the gear box and the handguard is slightly enlarged to accommodate the traditional non-lipo batteries). If anything, the A&K Masada's handguard from what I recall is undersized compared to the RS. Once you install the new PTS handguard, you are as dimensionally accurate as an AEG is ever going to get to the Magpul Industries final prototype of the ACR/Masada.

Archived