Polarstar Fusion V3 Prototype

sniperelite7

I don't understand why airsofters tend to react like the introduction of any "new" system is gong to threaten their endangered AEGs. I can't see anything wrong with giving people the choice to run a different system.

I couldn't agree more, if retailers took notice of players and their reactions we'd barely get any innovation or new products, except for the usual clones of something new Surefire have released etc, back when I was developing my MP5 SD taclight mounts I rememeber a fair amount of people saying "well no one even skirmishes with MP5 SDs anymore anyway" but I still did it and they've sold. Had I listened to all those people anyone who does want such a mount would have less choice and surely that's a bad thing?

Same goes for Polarstar, I bet if they listened to most players they'd not have bothered but they have helped to fill a very small (but hopefully big enough for them to make a return on investment) gap in the market and given those players who pushed gearboxes to their limits a new option, afterall, those people have largely been failed by the usual manufacturers and ones who push out cast metal gearbox shells that have a bit of machining with the 'CNC' tag to try and catch the people who actually want a fully machined shell.

For the rest of us AEGs aren't going anywhere, they're far too common and far too many manufacturers have invested money in tooling to produce them and parts, we shouldn't be taking issue with a small manufacturer spending their money developing a new innovative product.

Just a sidenote: that's my gun they're prototyping :D

-edit-

It's already been said, but the 2 aspects that sold me the most are the INSTANT trigger response and reliablitly of the design. I have a couple teammates running Polarstar M4s, and the air rig doesn't get in the way as much as you'd think. They're still able to transition and manipulate the gun effectively, it's no more intrusive than a 1 point sling.

Plus, it's nice to see innovation from the only airsoft manufacturer in the US.

TM recoil AEG, a revolution... All hail TM for making AEG's!!!... Umm... Shake a bit? Revulution, oh boy. Its a nice feature sure, but not something i'd dare call anything close to recoil. And its been proven it can be done to a regular gearbox and comparing TM "recoil" to my modify-tremors kit(that has SEVERAL issues out-of-the-box) TM is quite sad. I would not call mine recoil eighter, funny feature at most. TM just made it stupidly complex and thus harder to maintain and upgrade.

The basic gearbox is here to stay and wont be replaced by shaky gizmos.

For those who have issues with mechanical reliability, use a proper gunsmith FFS! Someone experienced in gearbox internals can make your cheapo chinese gun last twice as long as most high end brands.

Extreme-fire has proven itself in my eyes and i considor it as one of the biggest things since hopup, trigger-lag gone forever. Yup, no more need for those six-million-rounds-per-sec-builds. If someone thinks he "needs" one, well, learn to shoot. Its not very nice to shower half a mag onto someone.

As for ultra-steady FPS, just remember, we are shooting plastic 6mm bb's that gain much of their range via friction based backspin. Also considoring the weight of the round used and the power used to launch it, i dare say a variation of few fps is least of your worries as far as hitting a target goes.

I try to get my "snipers" of any kind to have less then 2m/s variation, below that is quite meaningles, perhaps going this low is too.

And as for Polar Star, i wish them the best, they truely built something remarkable and they did it well. No matter what, they left their mark on the whole sport and thats a lot. Sadly i doubt il own any of their current products as i do not like the HPA-rigs. To me the whole setup offers VERY little improvement over my AEG's and what little it does offer, is negated by the forementioned hpa-rig.

I stand by my opinion: FPS stability is the key to effective range and accuracy. You can always buy a new hopup rubber and even a chamber. But you can not get a batter gearbox design without a whole new gearbox. Such as the polar star Fusion Engine.

I myself am concidering buying this for practical reasons only: lost of FPS and superb consistency. Ideal DMR platform.

Bjorn

Important yes, but its quite easy to get constant FPS from the current design as well. Not perfect like the PS-gearbox but well within both of our standards. Our DMR / Semi-only limit is M150 / 150ms. Currently i have 3 guns that all have variation under/within the 2ms, all different gearboxes and very different parts. So far the biggest effect has been the barrel and hopup, in my case, R-hopup.

The only 300% / 3j / 170ms i have i built "on a budget" using ACM parts only, still it has less then 2ms variation, frightening accuracy and range. Also fitted with R-hopup and im sure lot of the performance is due to that.

I suggest anyone who builds a DMR or bolter finds a place to the gun in a more controlled enviroment. I found an unused factory assembly-tunned nearby, perfectly windless closed space about 150m long and maybe 5-7m wide. "Like mah own shootin range" Id say its hard to find a better place to test a rifle then something like that.

It might take quite some efford to find a decent place but its worth it when you can see the performance of the gun without any problems from outside.

If you are having problems with accuracy, i'd look into the hopup. Find a place to test it, then try soft vs hard -rubber, different spacers, SCS vs normal and if you can, do try the R-hopup.

There is one thing the PS-setup does do what i cant get from an AEG. I never did mind the aeg noise and using Extreme-fire's mosfets theres hardly a very long noise to deal with, but if im not mistaken the PS-gearbox is quite silent... Ive seen some pretty nasty co2-bolters silenced too.

Now, imagine a SR25 and some decent silensing... If it were a bit cheaper to get the "whole set" of stuff, that could be one reason for even me to get one. in a DMR i could live with rig, just, but i'd draw the line there... Or a MP5SD... Right, i need to stop now.

One of the younger kids on our team (13), was lucky enough to snag an earlier model of the polarstar. He has a JBU suppressor on it, and he posted this video of it in game (end of the day 4 on 4):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bryzNNIoQZ8&feature=plcp&context=C302df35UDOEgsToPDskLWUpI_BHIj5oVPXzpxtZW9

VERY quiet.

Please tell me that odd "klonk" sound is from the camera, and dear god i want a site like yours!

In sertainly starting to see a spot for this kit, small, yet valid.

If i remember, there was a "DIY" made kit similar to PS. The gun i'd use it in is not v2 nor v3 gearbox based. Then again, im fairly sure those wont be the only options soon.

Its the solenoids operating. Sounds different when stuck onto an audio file. You adjust the valve's dwell time for how much air is let into the barrel. Reducing the noise further. On my playing field(woodland) I took a potshot at a squad about 100ft away. I hit a guy in a rather thick portion of his vest, which he did not feel. No one heard me and they went on their merry way.

At 2:44 is a good example of how quiet it can be. The only sound is the bb's whizzing by. Anytime you actually hear the dmr you'll notice the cameraman is close to him and the sound the gun is making means it isn't even on closed bolt firing mode, which is what i've set my gun too, and is quieter.

My opinion is that if the opposing team is close enough to hear the solenoids operate. Your close enough for a safety kill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwMk8eHFQIM

Hmm. Add some green bb's to the mix and them flying by might end up quite scary ^^

I think my wallet is running away by now...

What is the price-range of all needed stuff for the rig exactly? I might know where to get a set of such used in paintball looooong time ago.

Hmm. Add some green bb's to the mix and them flying by might end up quite scary ^^

I think my wallet is running away by now...

What is the price-range of all needed stuff for the rig exactly? I might know where to get a set of such used in paintball looooong time ago.

Classic Airsoft has a guide written that lists necessary parts and prices for building an air-rig and amped airsoft sells pre built rigs...which you could most definitley duplicate for cheaper.

http://classicairsoft.org/forum/showthread.php?8764-Tumerboy-s-rig-guide

I'd guess 150-200 for a rig including the tank.

What is the price-range of all needed stuff for the rig exactly?

http://www.ampedairsoft.com/

Got mine from there 3 months ago. They'll hook you up with a complete package. Get the actual tank from sissos.fi or so for 50€.

Mine is a SPR with a big can running 2.25j. Always a pleasure to poop on ppl from afar with little noise.

~425'ish for the gearbox, 150+ for the rig plus a bigger tank to fill up my on-the-go-tank(?) and we are talkin pretty pricey kit. Im not counting shipping and massive taxes + customs fees eighter.

My M82 is roughly half that if not less and apart from the noise around same in performance(on paper). Then again, its v2 and thus would save a guns worth...

Looks like i'l have to wait it out a while and go for used kits... Well, atleast you dont have to worry about wear much.

Yeah well my A&K Dragunov was 80€, 2,9J straight from the box and it seems to magically hit ppl to curious places from extreme ranges :D But then again it isn't dead quiet semiauto.

As for air refills they are quite cheap from the shops and usually local paintballers are happy to help. Using co2 is not recommended.

P* price isn't that much considering one can use the same lower for multiple uppers and so switch between FA setups (or burst! 1-9 round programmable rof!) and semi auto high fps etc and do this change in few minutes.

No you can't. In order to change FPS, you need to take off the nozzle housing.

This requires a hex screw and a flat screw in the mag well to be taken out, and possibly stocktube + grip loosened to seperate the nozzle housing enough to turn it.

It takes 10min and requires 3-4 tools.

Pressure and dwell time should be run as low as possible for the sake of efficiency.

You set everything to the lowest possible, then work your way down in nozzles until it's just beneath your limit.

Case in point: 300mm barrel, 85psi, black nozzle (420FPS), lowest stable valve dwelve and 0.40 nets me 87-88m/s. Limit is 91m/s (129m/s 0.20).

Much depends from the barrel too, but yes, one can't have for example 1J and 2.25J with the same nozzle. But say 1.6J between 2.25J is a different matter.

Using light bbs and a short non tight bore vs heavy bbs and long tight bore we can see huge difference in energy.

I have a SPR length tight bore barrel with black nozzle. At 100psi I get

.28g >1.8J

.36g ~2J

.40g >2.25J

Built my barret "on a budjet" and it turned out quite silent, the huge hollow reciever works like a silencer muffling the noise into soft "thump" just the thing a barret should not be. At longer ranges ive been told they didnt hear the shot, even when looking at me.

If it were any other then v2 gb i'd go for different cylinderhead/pistonhead combo for more noise.

Sadly im quite broke, just finished tuning up s&t SVD and finaly bought my longterm love, the wa-shan double-barrel shotgun. That said i cant say much about usefullness of the ps-kit but it does hurt ones wallet quite alot... "for what"

Since theres more models coming out, how about other v2's? G3's have quite fanbase, i'd go for PSG-1 but sadly i owned the tm one and thus i have an oblication to hate PSG's...

Further inproving the system and using MP5's extra reciever-space could make up for some truely scary setups.

V3 kit does give the opportunity to bring my old cqb-workhorse back to glory, the last gun many would put this kit, a PDW. However, in that case i'd prefer more noise rather then less.

Can you swap the trigger and selectorplate or replicate them?

Im also hoping for "universal" kit you could mount into any gearbox. Perhaps such would need some third-party parts or more improvising on some cases but i doubt ps will release a gearbox for ares tar21 for example.

I have seen a home made version of the ps gearbox, id go for that just for the challenge and savings but sadly it needs more expertise then my brains hold.

Archived