ARES M40A5

bobthebrute

DROOL. Finally ARES has done the right thing - their externals and VSR compatible internals that can always be swapped out. Not lets pray they did not manage to *fruitcage* something up in the process of modifying the stock to accept VSR internals and real mag placement.

But, other than the DBM, nothing looks A5 about it. A3.

Uh

How does it not look like an A5?

In fact, what are the differences..

Oh, i see.. M40A5 has a threaded muzzle.. and a detatchable magazine.

/me looks at ARES M40A5

Yup.. its an A5!

Now this has chucked a massive spanner in the works ,do i gut my pdi vsr for the internals to go into a VFC 338. or this m40

I have to say though the main problem with the fortress stock was its strength ,and looking at the ares stock the weak point again may be behind the pistol grip ,it does look narrow ,but for $200 i carnt see why i wont be having one

Uh

How does it not look like an A5?

In fact, what are the differences..

Oh, i see.. M40A5 has a threaded muzzle.. and a detatchable magazine.

/me looks at ARES M40A5

Yup.. its an A5!

So how do you know the outer barrel is threaded? It looks like orange paint over a crowned barrel.

A Google image search would've given you the answer, but here are the differences:

A5 has a Surefire brake that you can fit a Surefire can over. The barrel is also appropriately contoured (thinner near the muzzle) so that you can fit the can.

A5 has a PVS-22 mount toward the front of the McMillan Stock

A5 (and the A3) has a S&B scope with a very noticeable rail-capped top front scope ring, which they don't even bother with here.

This passes as an A3, but not an A5. What was your argument again?

So how do you know the outer barrel is threaded? It looks like orange paint over a crowned barrel.

A Google image search would've given you the answer, but here are the differences:

A5 has a Surefire brake that you can fit a Surefire can over. The barrel is also appropriately contoured (thinner near the muzzle) so that you can fit the can. The barrel is tapered, look at the bottom photos. And there is no way to know if it is threaded yet.

A5 has a PVS-22 mount toward the front of the McMillan Stock - Correct. Does the A4 have this feature, and is it standard or an option?

A5 (and the A3) has a S&B scope with a very noticeable rail-capped top front scope ring, which they don't even bother with here. it has neither feature of A3 or A5

This passes as an A3, but not an A5. What was your argument again?

Ah sorry. By taper, I do not mean the standard taper that has been there since A1. I mean there is a hard cut off, right around the length of the muzzle brake. That is probably the single most distinguishing feature, since you can argue that the PVS22 mount and scope are not "part of the rifle" (though the nomenclature does mean the M40A5 is a complete system: the barreled action, the stock, and eveything else on it).

As for the PVS-22, I have no idea, but I don't think there are "options." It comes built that way, and the people who use are not qualified to mess with it, especially if its something like an optic mount. As far as I know, there is nothing called "A4".

When you say, "it has neither feature of A3 or A5," I don't understand what you mean.

Here's what I mean. Note that the SF brake here actually threads onto the barrel forward of where it seems to. It shrouds the barrel a few inches:

Screen-shot-2011-03-18-at-7.08.05-AM.jpg

Something similar to this: http://www.surefire.com/CA762SSALRE-CompensatorAdapter, noting it says to keep "the first 2.15" of barrel behind the threads clear of obstructions and no more than .775" in diameter."

So, looks fine for an A3. Not an A5.

In fact, the actual release notes of the M40A5 detail that the M40A3 rifles are being changed to A5's by having their barrels threaded, and the detatchable magazine modification done to the original stocks.

in fact PVS-22 mount is a detatchable optional accessory for the McMillan stock, you can find A3's fitted with it, and A5's without it.

So my point is- its an A5, stop being pedantic.

6pqqac.jpg

No "Taper" here, just a shouldered barrel.. Ohwait, that could be the original A3 barrel machined down.

An ACTUAL M40A3 detailed in http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1546586 being converted to an A5

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg Note the SHOULDERED BARREL WITH FRESH MACHINING MARKS.

DSC_0006-1.jpg Notice the brand new rail tacked onto what appears to be a well used M40A3 stock?

So, your being pedantic over.. nothing :)

kagami:

Actually you're totally right, the DBM would disqualify it for A3. In the midst of arguing with the Internet I had forgotten what the hell an A3 was.

I guess its a mutt.

Bane:

Like I said in my previous post, what I meant by taper was the "shoulder" for the SF can.

So, it seems like you are really adamantly saying that the A5 has a barrel reprofile toward the muzzle, while the A3 does not. Yes, I know that, I had pointed that out. The airsoft gun the OP posted clearly does not have this characteristic. And yet you are adamantly saying that it's an A5. What are you saying again?

Also, to be even more pedantic, since that seems to bother the *suitcase* out of you, like I said previously, drilling and tapping holes in the stock and installing a PVS-22 mount is not something you do in the field. An A3 goes into the armory, has that work done, comes out an A5. One of the things making it an A5 is the fact that it has a PVS-22 mount. People in the field do not remove the PVS mount. They may remove and attach a PVS from the mount, but they don't remove the mount, just like you don't remove the scope rail. I'm fairly certain that every A5 is a converted A3, but that doesn't make the two the exact same thing now does it?

I mean, by that logic, since the A1 and A5 "only differ really" by the type of stock used (which if I send to GA Precision they can swap it out for me) I can call an A1 an A5 too. Right? My 700 short action varminter and the A5 "only differ really" by some small stuff like stocks and PVS mounts and barrel profiles, but if I send my 700 to GA Precision they can certainly make it into an A5, so I can call my 700 an A5 right? I mean, *fruitcage* my Ruger 10/22 is definitely an A5, barring the action, the barrel, the stock, the trigger, the scope, the scope mount. But these are just small things.

Let's refer back to my original post

But, other than the DBM, nothing looks A5 about it. A3.

Do you want to point out something wrong with what I said?

In the end, it's nice, but it's not a soup to nuts A5. So I say it's not an A5. You want to argue some more about how my opinion is wrong?

Peas and rice guys. Its an 'airsoft A5' - i.e. half A3 half A5. Ofcourse it has things wrong with it, I can't remember the last time an airsoft replica was on the money as it left the factory. As always, the guys who buy these will just have to do their own mods to get it closer to the real steel (and potentially have fun - like I imagine Pan had making his GPMG)

Its like the KA Thompson M1928. If I was having a convo with a techy guy as to what needs doing to make it a true M1928 model replica then we would be talking for quite sometime. However, since this is airsoft, no one disputes me calling it an M1928 when we are talking about it casually.

@slu One question why did you say it was an A3 when it has a detachable magazine? Your opinion is wrong too.

Is it an A3 or an A5? I'd say it's neither, but's definetely closer to an A5 than A3 IMO.

I like what ARES is doing, there is a significant lack of airsoft sniper rifles based on an skirmish-able system, now all we need is a company that makes reasonably priced upgrades.

@slu One question why did you say it was an A3 when it has a detachable magazine? Your opinion is wrong too.

Is it an A3 or an A5? I'd say it's neither, but's definetely closer to an A5 than A3 IMO.

I like what ARES is doing, there is a significant lack of airsoft sniper rifles based on an skirmish-able system, now all we need is a company that makes reasonably priced upgrades.

Haha, I guess my opinion is wrong. You're right, A3 doesn't have DBM. It really isn't either A3 or A5.

Kenworth:

Would definitely be cool to see a proper A5. Should be just a quick job on the lathe to cut down and thread. The PVS-22 mount should be no problem even on a drill press, if you're careful. My only concern is that the stock might be a bit on the plasticky/flimsy side. As you can imagine the McMillan fiberglass is fairly substantial.

Ares overall external quality has proven to be great so far (their G36 are so awesome, one of the best plastic composites in AS), I wouldn't worry about breaking it on regular airsoft use, but neither would I expect it to be as durable as something meant real warfare use.

I only wish Ares stick to their word.... And hope to make a decent gun.... I've so far nothing but bad experiences from their guns(I have DSR-1,M200 and WA2000) and their customer services! I hope it wont be vsr compatible like the WA2K!! That will suck!

I really want an M40a5/a3 and this is the best opportunity to actually get one.

Wolf

I only wish Ares stick to their word.... And hope to make a decent gun.... I've so far nothing but bad experiences from their guns(I have DSR-1,M200 and WA2000) and their customer services! I hope it wont be vsr compatible like the WA2K!! That will suck!

I really want an M40a5/a3 and this is the best opportunity to actually get one.

Wolf

What was so wrong with the WA 2000? I had one and it was pretty nice and well built. And it's as reliable as the Geneth, minus 500 some-odd dollars. Only bad part I observed was the stipple-less wood stock and foregrip and the comb, which was made of ugly wood.

I find if Ares can stick to spring over gas, then they could make some fine sniper rifles.

This is off topic. First of all the bb hopper, you never know when it's empty. You think it's empty but if you move the gun up down it will load and another bb and then and another ....

Second at a skirmish I removed the fake mag ( I didn't want to lose it) and the a piece fell off and lost!!

The quality is ok but it's not a cheap gun.

I have the Geneth and the Asahi and I have something to compare it.

Also I lost parts and from the DSR1 at the very first skirmish with it.

I'm sorry but I can't call Ares a reliable brand.

Wolf

This looks good, but if I decide to get it when it comes out, it'll most likely be to put the stock onto my Tanaka! Although I'll see how good the rifle is first, but I'm not expecting much internally... I've seen a few rifles claiming to VSR compatible, when the cylinder and trigger systems are unique.

I'll keep an eye on this one for now...

Archived