WE MP5 GBB & MP5K GBB (APACHE SMG)

rusTORK

Well, decided to do a bit of investigation into this bolt stop doohickey to see what makes it tick, and if there is any way I can make it tick better.

So here's the mag top, with the cover retaining screw removed.

IMG_1868.jpg

And here is the mag with the cover removed.

IMG_1870.jpg

You can see all the cam levers and how they work and mesh together.

And here is the mag with the 'bolt stop' lever removed.

IMG_1871.jpg

As you can see at the 7 o'clock position there is a tiny spring, that has an equally tiny ball bearing that sits in it. This locates in two recesses on the back of the lever as it moves up and down. Either keeping it in the 'up' position, or the 'down' position.

It's not strong enough to keep it in the down position if you inadvertently flick it up, the same as if it was dragged out of a pouch. Which is my cause for concern.

The whole system is actuated when the BB follower pushes to the top (as you'd expect) and the spring pressure from the BB well, is firm enough to keep this lever in the 'up' position.
The gun fires when the lever is in the DOWN position, and the bolt stops when it goes into the UP position.

So, this got me wondering.

"is the spring pressure enough to negate the need for the tiny ball bearing??"

So I removed the ball bearing and sure enough without it, the lever is free to move up and down quite nicely. With no BB's in the mag, the follower pressure is sufficient to keep the lever in the 'UP' position.

So I tried a little experiment.

I loaded some BB's and left the lever UP. Just adding BB's wasn't sufficient to allow the lever to fall down into the DOWN position all by itself.

So I loaded the BB filled mag into the gun with the lever in the UP position and then took it back out.

The bolt stop lever on the inside of the gun itself has enough pressure to push the lever downwards when the mag is inserted.

So I repeat the process and load the mag with the lever up and pull the trigger. She FIRES!

"We're onto a winner here" thinks I.

So I proceed to empty the mag... 

It dry fires...

"B.u.gger" thinks I.

Thinking it might be a problem with the mag I reassemble it with the ball bearing and try again. Bolt stops on empty.

Hmmmmm.

(process is tried a few times to see if the above results are consistent... they are).

My conclusion is that the overly large BB follower in the top of the BB channel sticks up so far that when the bolt comes forward it is being pushed down ever so slightly by the loading nozzle, sufficiently so, that the pressure on the BB follower spring is released just enough that the bolt stop lever can push the little lever on the back of the mag down enough as it cycles to make the system inoperative.

I think that IF the BB follower was of the type that sat off to one side such as you'd find in a Hi-Capa magazine, such as the loading nozzle does not exert any pressure on the follower when in the forward (empty) position. Then my little mod would work perfectly.

And thus negate the need for having to remember to flick down the little lever each time you load in a new mag.

I've yet to go ripping apart the top of the mag lip to get at the follower to see if it can be modified to see whether my idea has any credence.

I'm probably going to see if I can obtain a spare BB follower from WE so I can mod it and see if this works.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI here is some more info on the PDW stock mod;

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.arms-cool.net/forum/thread-148107-1-1.html&usg=ALkJrhgx-i1xa5FJjCxh20GxwhKr13FKnQ

There is also some reference to the "banana" discussion. Comparing WE short MP5 magazine to VFC long MP5 magazine.

Had a play with the full size MP5.

I *fruitcage* WANT. It is very very nice.

The 30round mag doesn't have the open front, but is more expensive.

I don't care either way - once the slither stock SD version comes out I am having it.

Speaking of... Just saw this post on Arms-Cool and man I am contemplating just getting the full stock one and trying to get a collapsible stock later, so nice!

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.arms-cool.net/forum/thread-148168-1-1.html&usg=ALkJrhi-0fyjyhs9OzMxOSl-VOWIRdfGEQ

P1110109.JPG

I keep looking at the solid stock version and thinking "they will release spare parts and one of those spare parts will be a sliding stock". Well, that's what I keep telling myself. I really do want an SD version, but man, that solid stock when combined with a torch front grip will look sweet (the one darklite just posted). Got to be patient, as I don't want to end up with a cubboard full of MP5's.

Or do I . . . .

Not so sure if WE themselves will sell official spare parts to build whatever you please as that would be negative for overall sales of the complete guns.

But their official distributors in Taiwan will most likely be able to source parts, not cheap and not easily available but probably do-able.

You can get hold of the (sorry, can't remember the correct name for it right now. It's an adjustable stock and looks sci-fi'ish) special stock for the G39 and different fronts to make the K and C versions. Though, I don't remember any different stocks for the M4 family.

Edit:- Thia is what I meant:-

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/we-g39-idz-stock-and-rail-system-conversion-kit-for-we-g39-series-gbb.html#.Ut7RoXjfXTo

True. I can't motivate my reason now but I think I had a specific example in mind where it didn't happen that way. Or maybe I am just confusing things :|

What I meant by WE themselves was not direct sales from WE but retailers/distributers selling spare parts, or not.

EDIT: Maybe I am just feeling mweh about it because there are no optional stocks for the MSK, and that's what I am thinking of.

As for the other stuff, you are right, WE is actually one of few who have parts and kits available, so yeah :o

Either way, it could "pay off" (read; airsoft "fix") to get a fixed stock right now, and not have to wait, and then just get an A3 stock by whatever means necessary when they become available.

I don't even like the MP5s that much, I feel it's outdated and over sized for what it does, but it's just such a classic and icon that I have to have one :D

The "right" stock perhaps yes but I want the fixed stock as well :P

Because it looks cooler! I will take as many options as the market can offer, then buy what I please.

Not sure if the WE takes RS or VFC stocks.

Anyways another thread heading off topic, god damnit :P

I tried reading that post and there is some referense to Ghost Island. I am wondering if this is an official WE MP5 version or a custom job by Ghost Island, or a production custom model by Ghost Island.

Either way it looks cool. But it's jus something about a rail on an MP5 that doesn't feel right, even though it looks bad *albatross*.

Archived