TAG 40mm launchable grenades and more available for international players

ardrummer292

Ah yes, the exploding 40mm grenades of lore are now available to more than just Russian players...

http://pyrosoft.ru/

Looks like TAG also makes realistic hand grenades, which are also pyro-based.

It seems these fellas are able to ship to most any country, which is rather promising (assuming it's legal).

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? Fire Support do TAG shells? I think I'm going to give someone a call just to double check the rules and make sure I can use them, considering there was a lot of talk of being illegal in the UK.

I hope they are fair game though, just want some awesome deployable smoke really, though other shella would be nice.

EHobby has the powder (non-pyro) projectiles, but damn, each launching shell is $80!

The projectile cost about $7 each, which is decent in my book. But the shell is quite expensive, making it cost-prohibitive to run the TAG system.

I think it is more economical to utilize the common grenade shell to propel the projectiles, as shown in my P.M.O.G thread: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/210207-pmog-airsoft-40mm-projectile/. However, the TAG projectile's diameter is less than 40mm, making it unusable without their propriety shell. The P.M.O.G projectiles also have serious drawbacks: 1) Effective only when used with launcher with rifled barrel, 2) Unable to carry the projectile and the shell as one unit, limiting the amount of ammo that a player can carry. This was part of the reasons I put the project on hold.

I happened to learn about the foster slug that the hunters use to take down larger animals. It stroke me as a possible solution to the problems I mentioned above. The foster slug were designed to be fired from smooth barrel shotguns with decent accuracy. The trick is the deep hollow in the rear of the foster slug, which makes the center of mass concentrated at the front and stabilizes the slug in flight. The deep hollow in the rear, in the case of an Airsoft 40mm projectile, can also allows it to sit on top of a grenade shell securely and enhances air seal. So, this will be my next project - to develop a 40mm foster slug using 3D printing.

slug.jpg

Rem_Dougs_cutaway_th.jpg

With regards to saving space, how about utilizing shells that shoot a single rubber slug? The actual slug is a hollow cup like those foster slugs and goes over the gas containing part of the grenade. That way you keep the propellant and projectile as one unit and you can adjust the projectile size (powder volume) with different length slugs. The rifling would be more of an issue in finding the right rate for the velocity your P.M.O.G. will be flying at. Slower rounds will require a higher rate as evidenced by the steep rifling on the TAG launcher.

With regards to saving space, how about utilizing shells that shoot a single rubber slug? The actual slug is a hollow cup like those foster slugs and goes over the gas containing part of the grenade. That way you keep the propellant and projectile as one unit and you can adjust the projectile size (powder volume) with different length slugs. The rifling would be more of an issue in finding the right rate for the velocity your P.M.O.G. will be flying at. Slower rounds will require a higher rate as evidenced by the steep rifling on the TAG launcher.

gl-gp-gre011b-4.jpg

Yes, I know exactly you are talking about - G&P Projectile Cap 40mm Airsoft Grenade Shell (http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_514&products_id=39960). The problem is that the projectile only work with their grenade shell, just like the TAG system. The problem is due to the thickness of the projectile wall.

In fact, the "foster slug" concept was already somewhat proven in these videos below. The guy in the video put two G&P projectile caps together, and added water between the two caps. He got about 100m (same range as the TAG system) using only green gas. I could probably put my P.M.O.G foam tip (filled with chalk powder) on top of a G&P projectile cap and get the same range. However, the problem still lies with the grenade shell compatibility - I want the next P.M.O.G prototype works with any grenade shell, not just G&P grenade shell.

It's always been stated around these parts that any sort of launched pyro is not legal in the UK, certainly not for joe bloggs airsofting.  Obviously if you work for an explosives/FX company or something similar with the proper licences then that's a different story.  I've never actually looked up the appropriate laws myself, it may be somewhere in the firearms acts but I don't know off the top of my head, hopefully someone can come along with a relevant link.

I don't think launching pyros is as illegal as people think it is - I've been to Stirling events and been mortared, and I hear a few other sites use them too (a steel tube with TLSFx dual charge pyros).

I think these TAG ones are mostly okay, IIRC they don't explode on impact which is a big no-no over here. They might get into trouble for being spin-stabilised though, I can't remember if that's allowed (fin-stabilised definitely isn't).

Clearly, most sites aren't keen on launching pyros, as firing explosives at people is as potentially dangerous as it sounds, but legally I think you're fine stuffing thunderflashes into your 203 and blasting them across a field.

I'd love to use a TAG lanucher, though even if technically legal it would require a reasonably open-minded site owner...

Unfortunately I don't know if the "General Enquiries" form for emailing Cambs Constabulary is the appropriate method of contacting them about the legalities of this.

Then again, RIFs seem hard enough to deal with sometimes, with police being uninformed of the hobby.

Could always pop into the station for a chat I guess. xD

Wouldn't bother asking the Police mate at best they won't have a clue at worst they could turn up somewhere and start nicking people under the firearms act and let the CPO sort it out.

At the end of the day these are projectiles launched from a rifled barrel, reckon that makes em a firearm, regardless of whether its a marker or bang. As for launching regular flashbangs out of a 203 much as i'd love to I reckon this king of thing is gonna lead to un wanted attention from the powers that be.

Archived