TAG 40mm launchable grenades and more available for international players

ardrummer292

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually throwing pyro at someone is bad as well. Throwing it near them is ok.

As to the whole launched pyro thing, do you want to be on the recieving end when some idiot tries to noobtube you with it.

Yeah, I thought this was the whole point. Getting hit square in the chest with a pyro grenade is not my idea of a Sunday morning.

It's a treat others as you wish to be treated; great idea, lovely execution...but usage? In my opinion it's one of those devices that should be limited to events where the overall level of fire is lower, the level of player (and responsibility) is higher, and where they could add an awful lot to the game. Regrettably they cannot be used here (Ireland) :(...stupid power laws

Well yes that is a fair point, I should really have said "near" rather than "at", the point is both have the potential to be projected directly at a person if the user is being an idiot, both have the potential to be used sensibly and neither is really any more dangerous than the other.

Could any of the current owners sacrifice one of your TAG pyro rounds, cutting it in half, and showing us the cross section of it?

I'm really interested in seeing how the pyro round works. My guess is that there's a hole at the bottom of the round, which houses some kind of impact firecracker. The impact firecracker ignites when the gas from the grenade shell pushes the round out, and then the fire spreads to the main charge, causing the round to explode.

• 5 weeks later...

A quick video of our test before Op Bobriwka ( www.blacksheepmilsim.com ). With CO2 the range is amazing and consistent. Didn't get a chance to do a cross section yet will try it this weekend.

Cool! Did you get the chance to show the chalk-filled TAG grenade to MAJ Bucciarelli? He is very serious about safety, I wondered what he would say about that (I don't think you need to bother asking about pyro one, as it's defintely a no). As a side note, MAJ does not allow Nerf rockets in his event, which I suspect is due to lack of vehicles in his events and poor simulation value, instead of safey concern.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TAG grenade system guru - Lancaster - just posted a video regarding how to carry the shells and projectiles, as well as problems with the shells:

http://youtu.be/hLAs6Hor3ts

The plastic rifled barrel of the TAG shell can be damaged when a player falls on it, which may lead to structural failure when firing. The replacement barrel is US$ 34 - definitely not cheap. A better way to use the system, I think, is to glue the rifled barrel inside the launcher barrel, and carry just the shell core and projectiles in pouches. In fact, I believe TAG already thought of that, and produce a version 2 shell: http://www.sforce.ru/item/id5376/ It is not available on Airsoft Pyrotechnics yet.

http://youtu.be/A2TuV4fEjO8?t=29s

17052_70px.JPG

Another benefit of using the barrel-less TAG shells is that you can easily throw 6 or more spent shells in your dump pouch if you are in a hurry.

However, without the rifled barrel to protect the projectiles, I think the projectiles can crack if a player falls on them. When I was using my P.M.O.G 2.2 (http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/210207-pmog-airsoft-40mm-projectile/?p=2652787

) in a game last December, I put 1.5 in PVC pipes in my grenade pouches, and they protected my projectiles very well. I believe this can work for carrying TAG projectiles, too.

Lastly, here are some tips regarding the use of Madbull CO2 charger. When you install the CO2 cartridges, remember to turn the pressure adjustment knob all the way out, or the pressure will jump straight to the maximum. If that happens, just loosen the knob, and press the charger tip against something soft but firm (like tree trunk) to release the gas. In addition, I found out a quick one second charge at the desired pressure was sufficient. If you charge longer than that, the pressure will creep higher. I also noticed the pressure was higher after each charge, so I usually released the pressure, and turn the knob to the desired pressure after each charge. The Airsoft Pyrotechnics recommend 350 psi for pyro projectiles, and no higher than 450 psi for other projectiles (https://www.facebook.com/airsoftpyrotechnics

).

In the video, he claims that in warm weather, you can shoot the grenades 250+ ft using green gas. Has anyone else tested to see if that is accurate? I'd much rather use green gas or propane with these than have to mess with a CO2 charger, but I don't want the grenades flopping after 50ft either.

I'm still waiting for my shipment from Airsoft Pyrotechnics. When I receive it, I'm planning to do comparison tests between the TAG system and my P.M.O.G., including maximum range with propane and CO2 and accuracy at 50 feet.

I'd recommend using CO2, or even better - High Pressure Air with regulator in any weather. As Lancaster mentioned, to make the system reliable, one must try to put in the same amount of gas in the shells. There isn't a reliable way to charge grenade shells with the same amount of propane gas, and its dramatic change of characterstics due to temperature makes it even less worthwhile as a propellent.

Archived