New Year Resolution.

amateurstuntman

I had a chap who was squatting 150 check my form - He said I was spot-on apart from using a suicide grip (Ooer, nasty habit! I have since corrected this.) - I'm going to try for 75KG and reset to 70 if required - Not that I don't believe you Inari (I don't really know enough to make a decision yet!), but that's what the program recommends.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming it's not maximal lift failure, doing lower reps with the heavier weight will yield superior results. Going lighter will improve the neuromuscular pathways alright, but for muscle fibre recruitment higher weight lower reps is definitely better.

Now if it was a failure of technique, as opposed to just not being able to do any more reps then that's a different story.

Aye, hence the second attempt - seems that the failure here is maximal lift failure. The SS programme is written in such a way that it almost completely negates chances of CNS failure. SS is a starting programme for someone that hasn't in a while and/or is poorly trained. NM pathways are what's being built initially, hence the start light and progress.

To expand, I could complete the first rep fine enough - But noticed some slight pain in my lower back, around the tailbone. That increased each time, and it was harder to reach the top every rep. By the second set, after the first rep my body was saying "*fruitcage* this *suitcase*" and I gave up. I had the metal bar things in the rack to protect me if I failed but I didn't want to risk it.

Pain in the lower back is not good. It means your technique is off, even though confirmed by someone else. You were likely slightly out of alignment due to the additional weight, and your body trying to compensate being loaded in that fashion. I would definitely strip back the weight and build up on stability, then go for the heavier lift again.

Program changes this week - last night was chest & shoulders; bench press, flyes, incline flyes, one arm press, upright row and rear deltoid lift. 2x work sets in everything except bench, which was just one.

I pushed the weight up to 60kg with bench, which was just manageable. Flyes were interesting - 12 reps per set, and I was definitely feeling it. Incline flyes were easier for me, and I'm not really sure why. One arm press was interesting. I upped the weight from my first work set, using the powerblock to green (23-ish kg). It was a new technique so I was a little apprehensive about jumping the weight in case I got something woefully wrong and twinged my back or something, so I played it relatively safe. Upright row I bumped up to 30kg which I was happy with, as there's just something that feels really good about that lift. Rear delt lift was fine...maintained the same weight from last time as my shoulders were feeling pretty tired already. Twas a good session :)

Still to come: Legs, Arms (biceps & triceps), and back.

...hurty Tailbone...

...even though confirmed by someone else...

http://themovementfix.com/the-best-kept-secret-why-people-have-to-squat-differently/

Everyone has different anatomy and bone structure - your technique may be fine for someone else, but not you.

I suggest changing up the squat type to find one that works, personally I can't squat very well as I have previously fractured lumber 4 and 5 and have reduced mobility in my lower back, and a umbilical hernia so my belly button is a wall of mesh. Simply put, my core does not work like a normal core..

I use front squats or over head squats as these two keep my upper spine, and subsequently my lower, in line.

Check high and low bar squats out, and investigate feet positioning - a wider 'sumo' stance will take some pressure from your coccyx.

Thanks :) I'm currently doing low-bar. Today I changed two things; widened my feet a tad, and kept the bar more over my centre of gravity. I recorded myself during a working set, and I realised that the bar was dipping forward slightly as I went down. To remedy, I kept my back tight and I was able to complete 3 sets of 5, 75KG.

Deadlifted 1x5 75KG as well :)

Training is coming along nicely - starting to have a chest, which is weird...never had a defined one before. Feeling better within my skin, and the Parkour training is coming along nicely - it's like an awakening...it's all coming back, like Celine Dion...just less camp.

I've been setting challenges every training session, and for the most part I've been achieving them. There's two that are for the next session, as I wasn't capable of them this time.

Weights are coming along steadily - broke 100kg for squat & deadlift, so well chuffed with that! Unfortunately someone nearly dislocated my shoulder on Sunday, so I have to take it easy this week...was hoping to get out tonight but body's just not able for it after last night's 6 hour session.

Trying out Wing Chun tomorrow evening too, so will see what that's like and whether it's a martial art for me or not :)

Physio recommended attempting very light weights for one session to see if I get discomfort. Yes, the answer is yes, I get discomfort.

Shoulder looking likely to be out of action for a few months minimally, and with the lack of recovery surgery is now on the cards. Absolutely gutting to be injured again (at least this one isn't a fractured spine!) - gives me no excuse to get run fit and take up road cycling though.

I would recommend a second had bike at £500.

Bikes depreciate like crazy, you can get a bargain on ebay.

Beyond that I would just ask questions:

Do you have a secure place to keep it at work and at the gym?

You don't want anything flash if you have to lock it, I never lock my bike, ever.  If I can't see it from where I'm going, I don't take it.

What is a long Sunday ride?

If you intend to do serious distance you should avoid mountain bikes, hybrids based on mountain bikes (flat bars and 26" wheels) and anything too sporty.

Mountain bikes and hybrids don't have the right gearing and super sporty bikes are uncomfortable over distances and on British roads.

I'd say go for a cyclocross or tourer since they are tough, take bigger tyres and have gearing like a road bike.

This is nice:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Tcx-3-Size-Medium-Cyclocross-Bike-More-Photos-Added-/111335686013?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item19ec1fbf7d

This too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Tcx-3-Size-Medium-Cyclocross-Bike-More-Photos-Added-/111335686013?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item19ec1fbf7d

Can't get to ebay on work internet - i'll have a look later*.

All the bike sheds at work and the gym are CCTV'd, secure and full of very flash bikes that are both unlocked and very stealable - theft won't be a drama here.

*(blasted Cyclocross TCX into google and that's pretty much what i'm looking for)

This shoulder tweak was worse than I thought - was hitting the weights yesterday and although it was fine for bench press, I could feel it afterward. One arm press I had to be very careful, though managed fine. Rear deltoid lift was awkward, and couldn't do lateral raise, flyes, upright row or forward raise...which was irritating. Instead I repped out bodyweight dips to 90 degrees for maintenance, but incredibly frustrating :(

This week I am starting Complex Training to better suit the applications of power for Parkour, rather than doing it all through the movement. Similarly I'm decreasing the weight training sessions and upping the movement ones. I've also started a Wing Chun class, and will give that a go for a few months and see how it feels though I must admit, I am not taken with it at first.

Last week I added 10kg to my Squat & Deadlift, but only 2.5kg to Bench & Narrow-grip Bench Press. One Arm Press was maintenance, and pull ups improved by 1 rep. I also decided to start bringing a camera along to movement sessions when I'm on my own so that I can check in on progress and review how I was getting on. Going to be doing the same for the weights as well

• 1 month later...

Getting out regularly training Parkour (minimum of 3x per week), on top of 2x weight sessions. Doing complex training for one session (Back Squat, Weighted Pull ups, and Bench Press), and Power for the other (Deadlift, Shoulder Press, Dips, Upright Row).

My squat is up to 130kg, Deadlift to 125kg, and Bench Press to 70kg. Upright row is only at 30kg, though I suspect that's down to a niggle in my wrist (slept on my hand; back of the hand against chest, lying face down)...and haven't stopped training on it, so it's been slow to recover. Shoulder press is Power block to Yellow (25kg per arm), and Pull ups are with 7.5kg added - dips have 10kg added.

Endurance has increased, power is coming back to what it used to be, and physique is the best it has ever been. I'm stronger, faster and have more control...and to be honest I'm loving every moment of it. I bought a new camera in early May, so have started recording Parkour training sessions, and some lifts too. If that sort of thing interests you, Subscribe to my channel for updates!

How's everyone else getting on?

I had an appointment with a ERI (basically a PTI who cares) and he took me through a whole strength and conditioning session this morning.
Shoulder is physically fine, but my posture is terrible - i've amended all of my lifts and he's coming to the next week of training sessions to coach me through lifts and corrective measures.

Lifts are back up from injury, and my overhead squat is nearing bodyweight (80kg) so i'm happy with overhead stability. Slowly, but surely that sweet, sweet 8xBW military press is coming on.

For cardio, i've been fed an orienteering exercise - 1 x week in Switzerland at altitude - and a patrols competition with 50 miles as the expected TAB distance so getting some serious miles under my belt on the legs. Very happy with CV at the moment, improving all the time.

EDIT: Speeling

Anybody know of a good way of programming chin ups in the gym - I do them every other session. There's plenty of stuff on the web about greasing the groove etc but I havn't got a chin up bar and I'm not going to be doing them everyday. Yesterday I did 10,6,4,6,5 with 2.5 mins rest inbetween, strict form. Thoughts?

edit: I want to blat out 20 like an army man

I do them on the monkey bars in the kid's pay area at the park.

Also, "Army men" usually can't do 20.  Mind you the average civilian can do 2.

There is an app called 20 pull ups by "just do inc." that is pretty good.  That can get you to 20 pull ups (Heaves) in 6 weeks apparently...

You can add weight to the pull ups to give you better muscle fiber recruitment, but in order to get better at doing lots of pull ups, the best thing to do is lots of pull ups. Just make sure you're not doing the cross-fit super kip ones

My mate claimed to be able to do 20 heaves and then "Kipped" them out, I stopped him at "12" and gave a demonstration of a proper heave.  He was able to do 4.

If that is representative then real heaves are at lease twice as difficult as kips making kips entirely pointless.

Archived