ACE 1 Arms Osprey Replica Suppressor 'Coming Soon'

Rob15

Just spotted this over at Airsoft2day, ACE 1 Arms are working on an Osprey suppressor, having had a fair amount of requests asking me if I could make them over the last few years I'm expecting this to please a lot of people.

http://www.airsoft2day.com/news/1247-ace-1-arms-to-release-osprey-suppressor.html

They also have some photos of what appear to be final prototypes/pre-preoduction models on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/ACE1ARMS

Judging from the photos this looks like it'll be a very well made replica, the only issue I can see with it is the potentially high price compared with regular easy to make round suppressors which may put off all but the hardcore Opsrey fans and the weight of it, given the design and length I'm expecting it to be pretty hefty and ruin the performance of most GBBs, if they even cycle at all with it on. Still, at least it'll look awesome in the safezone if nothing else :P

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Ace 1:

"That's a complicated device we designed and we've also made a lightweight structure for the interior design."

Also I found some prototype pictures on a japanese blog.

unnamedsk1k.jpg

And some speccs:

Kriss version:

16mm + threading

6.03 inner barrel (similar to angrygun's power up, but different , according to ace1)

FDE/BK version availiable

Approximate price 7000 yen.

AEG/GBB version

14mm +and - threading

6.03 inner barrel (similar to angrygun's power up, but different , according to ace1)

Approximate price 7000 yen.

AEG/GBB version (dummy version)

14mm +and - threading

The interior design of this is unknown, it only says it's a dummy version

Approximate price 6000 yen.

Osprey%E3%82%B5%E3%83%97%E3%83%AC%E3%83%

7000 Yen is about $70, so very reasonable actually, being 'lightweight' doesn't mean it'll work well on GBBs though, I've seen plenty of suppressors that are advertised as 'lightweight' that are actually quite heavy, adding an inner barrel will only add to the weight. Given the design I'd expect it to be anything from 200g - 400g, I'd be quite suprised if it's under 300g and amazed if it's sub 200g, I don't think that'll put many off buying one though.

7000 Yen is about $70, so very reasonable actually, being 'lightweight' doesn't mean it'll work well on GBBs though, I've seen plenty of suppressors that are advertised as 'lightweight' that are actually quite heavy, adding an inner barrel will only add to the weight. Given the design I'd expect it to be anything from 200g - 400g, I'd be quite suprised if it's under 300g and amazed if it's sub 200g, I don't think that'll put many off buying one though.

I don't think any tilting barrel designs will be able to lift that thing up. The only exception might be the m&p due to the ramped chamber.

Still looking forward to it though.

I don't think any tilting barrel designs will be able to lift that thing up. The only exception might be the m&p due to the ramped chamber.

That is my worry too, at least there are a lot more GBB SMGs around these days to put it on plus the fixed slide/barrel pistols like the Mk23 NBB, Desert Eagle and TK USP .40 SD GBB.

Regardless of weight if it did come up on ehobby/WGC for around $70 I'd be seriously tempted to get one for my fixed slide/barrel pistols, at that price I'd consider it a bargain.

I'd very much like one of these, ever since I saw the Osprey on the FN45 I've thought its shape loaned itself well to the likes of a Springfield operator LDC.

That said I'd be interested in seeing what they weight first before picking one up.

The real Osprey is incredibly light. If they replicate the weight, it should have near negligible effect of a GBB.

The lightest Osprey suppressor on the SilencerCo website is listed as 9.8oz, or 277g, in terms of real suppressors then that is very light but in airsoft terms that's very heavy, even if they got it to about 150g - 200g it'll be too heavy for most GBBs, using a pistol with Co2 mags and reduced gas flow to the barrel to keep the fps down might be the best bet to get one to cycle well.

By comparison most airsoft suppressors around 120mm long range from about 90g to 150g and those are what would be considered a heavy pistol suppressor, there are some lighter ones around the 40g - 60g range and then my own carbon fibre suppressors which are 32g, all have the same flaw though, they don't look like an Osprey suppressor. If you want an Opsrey suppressor then this will be the only option, but if you want to skirmish with a suppressor on a pistol and still get good performance then lighter existing options will be the way to go.

It's times like these I wish there were a few more good NBB pistols around :( A NBB P226 would be lovely, and far more practical than a Mk23.

True. And good points. Maybe my memory is tweaked based on my own experiences with the real Osprey. I've shot a lot of cans. The Osprey always caught me off guard regarding its relative lightness. But then psychologically I was always comparing it to other real suppressors I've used extensively.

So what exactly is it about heavy replica suppressors that negatively affect GBBs?

The floating barrel design is just one big lever, the chamber has to drop below the level of the slide before the slide can cycle and the end of the barrel is a pivot point for it, if you don't have a suppressor on then the weight past the pivot point is virtually nothing so there isn't any counter balancing weight preventing the chamber dropping when you pull the trigger.

Once you add a suppressor the weight of it counter balances the chamber and pushes it upwards, it then takes more energy to force it to drop below the slide and allow it to cycle, when it does cycle the weight of the suppressor will be forcing the chamber up against the inside of the slide creating more friction in the action, and in the case of GBBs that means more gas is needed due to the slower cycle speed resulting in a longer time from the valve opening to closing again.

As a general rule the heavier the suppressor the worse the gas efficiency will be, however there is a bit more to it than that, for example the design of the suppressor will also impact it, in theory you want most of the weight directly over the barrel thread, the further away the weight is from the piviot point the more it'll impact the performance so suppressors that don't have a thread at each end are preferable as they should have lighter endcaps. The quality of the outer barrel plays a part too, if it doesn't cycle well without a suppressor you have little hope with as seemed to be the case with the old G&G barrels for KWA Glocks.

As I've said, if you want to skirmish with a suppressor and you're more interested in performance than looks then you need to be looking at the lighter weight end of the market, if you want the awesome looks of an Osprey suppressor you'll have to accept lower performance, I do hope it can be made to cycle reasonably well on some pistols though, it looks too nice to be restricted to just photos and the odd GBB SMG.

Archived