XCorTech X3300W "Total Pellet Control" System

aznriptide859

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there such a thing as too sensitive? Just means you'll get larger steps between the different ammunition counts.

I've used a HMC1001, they can detect the Earth's magnetic field (I don't suppose you were using it for something that in a rocket...?) pretty well so you'd only need a tiny magnet on a magazine follower.

I was, in one of Robert Galejs Magnetic Apogee Detectors. Several folks I know have tried them too and if you used a steel launch rod the MAD could be triggered by the steel rod as the rocket launched. You wouldn't want the bolt stop to function if you happened to hold another steel mag too close to the sensor ;)

Ha, we had to design the sensor circuit for a rocket as part of a project. Looks familiar. Can't remember if we used a steel launch rod or not but the sensor didn't trigger before the apogee. (edit: I looked at a few MAD designs on the web and several of them re-zero once the rocket is on the launch rod and ignore small changes to combat the false triggering).

I think it was being discussed as a way of displaying rounds remaining, a bolt stop can already be implemented in other, more reliable, ways. Anything sensitive enough to be able to distinguish between individual BBs is probably going to require careful design to prevent outside influences rendering it inaccurate/useless.

I think it was being discussed as a way of displaying rounds remaining, a bolt stop can already be implemented in other, more reliable, ways.

Exactly. There are other ways I can think of tracking the follower's progress through a midcap magazine (individual contacts inside the rails that guide the follower, with the follower making a particular connection denoting a particular number of remaining rounds, or pulling a string from a reel as it travels, with the string's drum measuring how much string has unrolled and calculating the remaining rounds) but both of those require quite complex sensors inside the magazine. This magnetic interface requires (in theory, anyway) only the replacement of the magazine follower plus the sensors somewhere close to the magazine well to count the distance of the follower and thus the remaining round count.

All this is much more complicated than just assuming a certain number of rounds in each fresh magazine, and resetting to 'full' every time a new magazine is inserted (like the XCorTech does, manually) but it does take into account the possibility of loading a partially loaded magazine, which the XCorTech and similar systems cannot. In the interim the XCorTech is definitely a clever system; I would personally rather integrate such a round counter into a smart 'FET.

Like my new BTC Spectre NexGen, for example, which has electronic bolt lock (so it knows when the magazine is empty) and can obviously count rounds fired. A simple programmable IC and a nice display and housing could create a very clever remaining-round counter (the only functionality I would want) that automatically reset every time a new magazine was inserted.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a play with one of these at the last game I was at. I wasn't wrong when I said it would suit the G5! It seems very simple to operate and everything functioned perfectly, apart from the ROF counter on my G5, it picked up the ROF after a very long burst, but on an AEG it didn't need as many rounds through it to get a reading.

Overall though, it's a great bit of kit as the ammo counter really helps you keep tabs on your shot count, plus the box sits below the sights on the G5 so you can still aim, and then take a quick glance at your ammo count if you need to.

I'd love to be able to mod one into a small 'pip-boy' and wear it on my wrist!

For the record, I know RDX Tactical are getting these in. I think they're around the £140 mark which is a good price considering the many features it has. Hell, a chrono and tracer unit alone would cost you almost as much!

I've never ordered from Evike before.... does anyone know roughly what shipping cost would be for one of these X3300w?

It's only $100 on preorder: http://www.evike.com/products/46898/

I assume your asking shipping to the UK ? Looks like $30 USD, and with the coupon code your cost would be about $111 USD shipped.

• Evike International Super Saver: - Transit time varies depending on location. Flat rate of $30 for any small packages that qualifies.
  • 2 weeks later...

I took the plunge and bought the one from RDX tactical they had on site yesterday. I'll hopefully get some kind of review written up soon.

One thing to note is that you want to turn off the tracer unit when you're not using tracers. I was given away lots yesterday by my muzzle flashing at people!

Really want a X3300W. I am an electronics student though, I could just make one myself :P

I want a round counter that interfaces with my BTC Spectre NexGen. That knows every time I press the trigger; couldn't a round counter use that as the 'round fired' signal rather than a light-gate in the suppressor?

I'm still gonna end up with the X3300W, I know...

It absolutely could yes, to be honest it probably wouldn't be that hard to rip apart the 3300 and connect the 'signal in' to its counter to something else, like your trigger switch. Alternatively, for just an ammo counter there exist chips that can drive those 7-segment LCD displays.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived