APS CAM870 Released for distribution.

The Insider

APS CAM870 Released for distribution.

the gun fairy has been seen running around making deliveries today and this model should be apearing on popular websites shortly.
Seems a solid build and i was greatly surprise to see it come with a shell catcher.
Although sadly it only comes with 2 shells... so I guess I may have to wait for a spare shell pack or 2 before its could be considered skirmishable.

Should be available today, pending if some retailers are quick to list it... and or some presales may get on there way today.... otherwise should be a busy week after Easter.

4523-13091-thickbox.jpg

4523-13090-thickbox.jpg

4523-13092-thickbox.jpg

4523-13093-thickbox.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/18-Airsoft/463847467033336

Huge price: meh

Wierd maker: meh

Not tm-clone: meh

Shell ejecting: meh

Wierd shells: meh

Im sure realism-fanatics will find this in their collection. Im not going any more realistic from my Wa Shan double-barrel.

Post-marketing FTW!

So you need to load these shells "realisticly" with and most likely need more "sealing paper" and "wads" + pack or two of shells.

Thats 700 dollars of no hopup. Thats close to Inokatsu-money.

dozens were sold on the st on Friday... reviews should be flowing soon.

and extra shells and loading components are also now available.

since they include a shell catcher.....  and extra shells available... i think this would be wicked indoors cqb.
the only issue i see now is the price.... and the shell loading time.

locally i'm know as the shotgun gwai-lo...  lol.  
But i think i would still prefer my HK$400 tri-barrel shoty over this $4000 model. 
still... would be fun to play with none the less.

https://www.facebook.com/463847467033336/photos/a.465547736863309.1073741828.463847467033336/618387601579321/?type=1&theater

Still curious what happens when you stick one of these shells in a real 12 gauge.  

MadBull say not to use their SS6 shells (which use the same 12-gauge dimensions, but retain the BBs in the traditional style rather than using wadding and paper) in RS shotguns in case you damage the firing pin of the shotgun (unlikely) or the SS6 (more likely), and said they were thinking about producing shells designed for use with RS shotguns, which they didn't. I think it should fire, but it depends upon how deep the 'primer' valve needs to be struck, I suspect.

the only issue i see now is the price.... and the shell loading time.

The shell-loading time is by far the biggest problem with the gun, not the price. Assuming conservatively that these things are about $12.50 each (a little more than the SS6s), it's unlikely even the most ardent shotgunner will purchase more than 20-30 shells ($250-375). After that it becomes cumbersome simply to carry more. Each shell needs a new wad and sealing paper every time you reload it (further expense) and I bet it takes at least 45 seconds to reload a shell, even if they're all lined up in front of you, by the time you've put a new wad in, the BBs, the paper, sealed it and recharged it with CO2...

All that for no hop-up? You'd have to be very dedicated to skirmish this instead of a TM M870.

All that for no hop-up? You'd have to be very dedicated to skirmish this instead of a TM M870.

Absolutely--that's why I'm somewhat interested in a loading press and a pack or two of shells for plinking, but not so much the gun.  Firing pins are pretty cheap if it came to that.  

Shells were just posted on EhobbyAsia:  $42 for 4.  Wads are 100 for $15.  

Im kinda curious as to why this is NOT tri-barrel gun to begin with... 12gauge shells CAN very easy have BBs in triple "tubes" that mount against hopup & barrel. 3-5BBs x 3 tubes. Still leaves room for gas-system.

Wa Shan shottie has 9bbs in the shell in one tube, alltho the shell is somewhat bigger/longer then 12gauge. 

Just plain stupid design and maybe THE worst time to launch it.

I dare say this gun will remain as a collectors rarity that may end up in a "airsoft 20 years ago" -video one day.

true.... 
And we can't knock them for being non-tm compatible.

We should be celebrating inovation... irreverent of weather its good or bad....  as thats what drives the industry.
although being TM compatible is still a good thing.......  but if "everything" was TM compatible.... we would never have anything new... until Tm released it and others copied. 

So i say nice try APS...  just try a little cheaper next time..  ;)

actually.. i wonder if we will every see a airsoft clay pigeon  lol.
other than have your mate through a can in the air and try and hit it. 

Absolutely--that's why I'm somewhat interested in a loading press and a pack or two of shells for plinking, but not so much the gun.  Firing pins are pretty cheap if it came to that.

inb4 everyone tells you you're going to get your ammunition mixed up and accidentally murder everyone at your local CQB site. A real M870 Express is what - $300 at Walmart? Not to mention considerably easier to get your hands on in the US...

But I could buy a reel 1 for dat money, that or get my Dad to buy it coz I 8nt old enuff yet. ;)

However I can see this being like many other guns and filling a rather niche market. For an airsoft skirmish it is borderline pointless but for a country where owning a real shotgun isn't possible or where someone needs a non-lethal training tool to familarise themselves or others with how a shotgun works for a decent enough price sure it has a market.

The skirmishers will stick to their TM M870s and the enthusiasts or training groups will opt for this. However aside from the fact it slings bbs, I wouldn't really class this as much of an airsoft skirmish gun in that I doubt many skirmishers would buy one and actively field it. Even those one shot a shell revolvers that are rarely used seem to have more of a grounding in a game than this item, as interesting as it is.

'FireKnife'

Oh dear god. If this starts again.....

This isn't the same as "BUT I COULD BUY A REAL ONE FOR THAT!!1!one", because in this situation the real one would appear to be a viable alternative for airsoft use. Given that a real M870 can be bought for $300 brand new from some American supermarkets, or for substantially less second-hand without the need to file paperwork or anything else in plenty of states, I think in this instance a real 12-gauge shotgun is a pretty viable alternative to the APS. They're cheaper, easier to get hold of, much more versatile, probably better made and certainly better supported in the USDM. All of this is of course contingent upon real shotguns being able to trigger the APS' shells.

An equally good question would be whether the APS can trigger real 12-gauge shells. You could try it with just shotshell primers - like a BFG - which might work.

I was saying the whole Madbull shell thing. If this thing really is $4k its maddness and the point of 'using it for plinking' or anything like the is moot. Where you could buy an RS for 'plinking' and an identical TM for airsoft. Its not as though its even that hard to get hold of a 12G in the UK.

I can maybe see this working in a country where firearms are outright banned for civilians but then this probably would be aswell.

Not to mention I doubt its that reliable and spares will be a nightmare to come across.

Not even a niche gun like a Minigun yes its expensive but thats because of what it is. A totally unique weapon.

The Goblin shells won't chamber in a real shotgun due to rim dimensions, and real shells won't trigger in a Goblin because they don't use spring-loaded firing pins, just like airsoft grenade launchers.

I imagine that they've probably changed the dimensions sufficiently on these shells to prevent compatibility with real shotguns- not so much to stop the shells working in real guns, but to prevent accidentally chambering a real 12ga shell and blowing yourself up.

$4k? That's HKD - it's ~£300.

Still, by the time it reaches you with a couple of wad bags and 20 shells you are looking at a pretty penny for something with no hop. As cool as it is...

Especially when something like a goblin sawn-off can cure that itch for a fraction of the price. Hell, get a tm870 and a goblin, cheaper and the best of both worlds! 

Archived