Right-Hand Magazine Release for KRISS Vector - Concieved for RS, Premiered in Airsoft

PureSilver

Ace1Arms have released a new magazine release for the KWA KRISS Vector. It's a relatively simple construction that enables right-handed shooters to release the magazine with their trigger finger, rather than trying to manipulate the existing release with a left-hand that's full of fresh magazine. It's a pretty simple system:

kriss-vector-magazine-release-w695-9.jpg

kriss-vector-magazine-release-w695-1.jpg

Ordinarily I would say a magazine catch is probably one of the least interesting news topics I could possibly think of. However, what makes this one a little more interesting than usual is how it's being received by those in the RS shooting community. The Firearm Blog picked this story up, and a shooter who owns both the RS and KWA Vectors and trialled his own example of this system explains that:

It took a while but finally a company has actually made this into an actual product. Ace1Arms in Taiwan has made a complete unit. My design was a bar that is drilled and screwed into the existing glock mag catch and a small plate that holds the bar in place. Ace 1 Arms went and remade the entire mag catch and pinned it to the lever. A concept I had considered but give my lack of engineering and resources I built mine out of scraps and 3D printed parts.

The shooter, active on the KrissTalk forums, explains in this thread that he couldn't get the magazine catch made through conventional means - just for himself, or for mass-production. The RS firearms market - a multi-billion-dollar industry in the US - couldn't make this happen, and now Ace1Arms has. So unless I'm much mistaken, what this little pile of parts represents is the first airsoft product that beat a RS alternative to market, and might (depending upon how the KRISS community takes to it) become the first product that RS shooters have to buy from an airsoft retailer if they want one at all.

I mean, sure, it's just a magazine catch. But it's quite a thought that if you want a right-hand selector for your Vector - a gun made by an international company that sells millions of dollars of advanced weapons worldwide annually - the only people selling them are a young company from the Far East, probably several thousand miles from the nearest RS Vector.

This is very cool, but it does give me pause. Unless they intend to market it to the RS community, they'd be smart to emphatically state that this is meant for airsoft use for CYA liability. Aside from possible legal implications of producing products for RS which might be an issue in Taiwan, stating that the product is for airsoft would also cover them in the possible situation in which the product fails on a real gun.

RS users are hard on their guns and equipment. They don't baby them (well, most don't, and guys in the LEO community certainly don't), and in many cases RS firearms users entrust their lives to their guns. By stating that the product is for airsoft only, places the responsibility on the consumer if they use it in a way it wasn't intended for.

Understanding the ned for a "fresh mag in the hand before discarding the empty one" as a RS environmental situation and that you either use your index finger to pull the trigger or pull the mag catch you end letting the empty one fall on the floor or am I mistaken? so you can teach yourself to pull you new mag from the pouch in a fashion that leaves you at least one finger free for the button?? 

I´m also lefty but see no problem about using a right handed shooters´s left hand to pull the release letting the empty mag falling and then inserting the fresh one intend than going for the fresh mag and then pushing the button and inserting the mag.

Is it all about not letting the empty mags scrap against the floor that you need extra über-ape-shooter skills??? 

Anyway nice thing seeing  R&D done by airsoft companies for playable things instead of all-weather-proof gas mags, fog-proof safety lents and such nonsense that no one would ever buy (sarcasm all the way)

Tell you what, see if you can change them as fast as this guy can (with the lever), and put it on YouTube:

Anyway nice thing seeing  R&D done by airsoft companies for playable things instead of all-weather-proof gas mags, fog-proof safety lents

Not asking for much, are we? All-weather-proof magazines would defy physics and very-nearly-entirely fog-proof safety lenses already exist...

No, I can´t for sure, that is what I was referring to, let the mag fall and put the new one, and with the "thing" as you use both hands for two different movements you get lower timing, well done. In this aspect the thing is OK but as said, I can´t see the need for this as airsoft mags are not usually left falling in the ground unless accident.

About the all weather mags, yes I do know, that´s why I use a phone holder inside my jacket to hold the spare mag, keeps it "hot" so it works more or less (and this in Spain, sunny north of Africa), not to talk about you northerners, vikings and so.

About the lenses, I got to fog bolle 800 even with no headgear, so horny I am, and the vented googles disturb me with the buz too much :(

About fast reloading my favorite is Travis Tomasie, full ISPC gear, full prepared situations, I do not need real situations to get fast reloads (indeed need artificial ones).

Nobody out there is currently sitting on the miracle design to a GBB propane magazine that works flawlessly in all temperatures because they've been too busy releasing after-market magazine catches.

Many people like their weapons to be as ergonomic as possible with the fastest and simplest manual of arms possible, the mag catch on the Vector (be it airsoft or RS) is well documented as being a downside in that respect.  Now we have a nice solution that will improve that aspect of the gun many people dislike... oh no...

Yet again airsofters proving they can and will moan about literally anything.

• 1 month later...

I much prefer the manual of arms to be set around moving a finger of the firing hand than any sort of setup which forces me to change my grip on the weapon. If i can reload all with one hand and then immediately engage any tags without having to readjust my grip that's a hell of a win.

I have a bad lever on my gas ar as a left handed shooter I think that will work quite nicely though in the past I have just slammed the bolt catch with the empty mag I removed on the wag back into a dump.pouch.

This lever looks like it could be a really nice setup one which I can't use and doesn't correct the issues I have with the kriss as a left handed shooter but ah well. The kriss is a pig for a lefty the fastest reload I have seen involves canting the weapon 90 degrees charging the handle with the weak/support hand The mag well facing away from you so you have to drag the mag away from your body and then slid the new mag in bring the weapon back to shoulder and then hit the bolt release blind. You could do it blind weapon at shoulder but you are reaching over the top of the Barrel.

Preemption all the huer duro shoot right handed posters it's a pig when you are left eye dominant and your right hand has about a 1/4 less fine motor control dexterity and muscle strength

The only weapons platform I use where I cannoticed chamber a round with out adjusting my grip on the weapon is my mac 11. If only side charging mac uppers worked with the airsoft mac.

Archived