Remington R5 RGP for WA M4s

kagami

finally a proper RGP R5, none of this WE Raptor or APS guardian bullsh*t....

I'm literally crying with tears of joy, the Remington trademarks look so beautiful in the model video, and I stand fully behind Iron Airsoft's products and own quite a few of their WA M4 parts.

Proper gas system (unlike WE), monolithic (unlike WE), a real AAC 51t Brakeout (unlike WE) so good! It looks like their using the newer style barrel system that Inokatsu and Vipertech is using nowadays too with a separate threaded portion on the barrel for adapters for real or 14- airsoft flash hiders

edit: some very important news since i checked their jp blog, here's the link if anyone else reads moonrunes http://ironairsoft.militaryblog.jp/:

The downlow:

- 1:1 spec, Prime and IA specifically guaranteed, Inokatsu apparently varies every year so fitment is not guaranteed
-10.5 and 14.5" versions in both BLACK AND FDE FUUUU w/ barrel conversion kits!!
- They are sad that with the release of the TM, WA support is diminishing and they are trying their best to release innovative products since the WA line is the most realistic and has the most recoil
-NEW UPPER RECEIVERS COMING, RGP is just the first, "Keep an eye out for iron airsoft this summer!"

OH YEA, THE RGP WILL BE RELEASED THIS WEEK!! (in Japan I'm assuming)

I've always liked the silhouette of the design, but the handguard is surprisingly thick in person, and extremely heavy. You'd think something that was "skeletonized" like that would be light, but it ain't. Quite the opposite.

EDIT: This will also be available for PTWs! Same price though.

As I thought, jp retailer's getting them in. Here's some pics in the flesh:

Reminton-R5-03.jpg

Reminton-R5-02.jpg

Reminton-R5-05.jpg

img63037083.jpg

retail link: http://airborne.militaryblog.jp/e555728.html

Here's the real kicker though: looks like it's aiming to be 1k in the JP market. one thousand dollars.

I'm not going to hold my breath for too long, the 416 kit retailed for 500-600 in Japan but came out in Hong Kong for a cool 320~ (if anyone remembers that was a lower, upper, handguard, barrel and bolt carrier)  however I'm hesistant to say that the RGP upper will be receiving such a massive discount. The machine work definitely looks more elaborate than a 416 however. Perhaps in the 600 dollar range which I think is still pushing it for 90% of owners. However since this is 1:1 spec anyone who is considering this upper probably has a large wallet anyways.

It's pretty but for the money I would probably go for something unique something like the nodak top charger

I had never heard of those... It's not until you see one that you see how obvious it is that the familiar M16A1/A2 'carry handle' was designed as a guard around a top charging handle, and even after that was discarded the design didn't change:

NDS-15O.JPG

To be honest, putting it up top makes more sense than the current position does; the handle doesn't have to extend out the rear of the receiver this way, which makes it less fragile and means the stock can be any shape you like without worrying about obstructing the charging handle's pull. Plus, I'd say it's more or less impossible to charge a conventional design with the weapon shouldered; it's eminently possible with this design.

The downside at the time was that it got too hot, apparently; the downside you'd have now would be raising the height-over-bore of the optics. I suppose you could fit a very flat folding charging handle (like a G36's) but it'd still get in the way.

Quite a few side chargers around now (example), also one design with the handle up front/left á la the old HK guns and Troy are coming out with a pump action AR.

Wouldn't say the current design is weak though, the drills for clearing a hard extraction are very tough on the charging handle for example, never heard of one snapping.  The original FAMAS style design is probably stronger but from what I've observed as long as the standard type is manufactured by someone who knows what they're doing it's pretty tough.

Plus, I'd say it's more or less impossible to charge a conventional design with the weapon shouldered; it's eminently possible with this design.

You sure?  Honestly, I only ask because I knew I'd done that with an AR-15/10, but I was doubting myself so to double check I just tried it with a GBBr; definitely possible to cock the weapon with it held in the aim/shoulder.  I may well have mis-read/understood.

I suppose I could have made that clearer - it can be done (I don't have a rifle in front of me) but just trying it in the air puts my arm in a chicken-wing position and my hand in my face, to the extent that it would break my cheek weld. At that point - with your trigger hand off the grip and your sight picture broken, you might as well lower the gun when using the charging handle.

Yeah that's the root of the problem, with fire control in the right hand charging the gun using the left is a piece of cake.  Should be vice versa if there's an ambi handle fitted.  That's the standard method that every trainer I've seen teaches, definitely works; though as a lefty the ambi handle definitely helps in that there's no need to reach as far over the top of the gun to get to the latch, which could make quite a big difference.

Not sure if you've maybe got a lot of weight up front with the particular setup you like to run, but it should only take a second to move the reaction hand to charge the gun then plant it back on the handguard to support the front end.  I can hold all my ARs in the aim with just the hand that's on the pistol grip for a short while no problem, never really been aware of that being a struggle for people but then everyone's got different arms and shoulders etc so it is what is, as per usual just a case of working around these things in the best way practicable.

Pretty certain an upper doesn't need any Sec 1 paperwork?  If they'll export it (veeeery unlikely) I think it'd come in ok.. maybe.

Some people say fitting one to an airsoft gun in the UK is illegal, others disagree.  Wouldn't risk it personally given the potential punishment, not when you can get an ambi handle for a GBBr 10,000x more easily and vastly cheaper.

I have seen it done and I know how to export it have all the forms and stuff because of a few other bits I am after. I even know of an rfd who would probably a. Know the law and b. Help get me it into the country.

I just love the idea of eithr a true retro ar with the nodak top charging kit for playing Vietnam games. Or just having the side charger for looks and difference factor.

Though saying that building a DMR off a gas ar15, A 20-24" barrel with a dam good hop setup and heavy bb's dressed up as a long range ar (bipod prs stock or maybe the mcmillan bipod and free float tube hell even a 2 stage match trigger) And using the side charge upper and disabling the self loading part to Simulate using heavyweight projectiles could be a nice fun thing with a relatively easy reload.

Archived