G&P Costa Custom AEG's

bladerunner168

It's a same the rail system and upper are completely wrong. The RS looks to be similar to a MEGA ARMS upper with a variation rail bolted to the upper. Would mean crazy R&D + tooling costs to reproduce the whole thing I would imagine. 

But not a half bad effort I will say, nice to see something a little different. 

I.. don't even...

I don't get what they've done.  It's like a weird amalgamation of the Costa edition rifle and the PredatOBR that stemmed from that gun(/that gun derived from, can't remember).

That G&P upper and the connection to the handguard is basically correct to the PredatOBR.

14-5_556_predatobr_profile_0.jpg

But it's like they got a few inches away from the upper then it was friday afternoon and G&P all went down the pub, the panels look about right but I can't find a KeyMod forend anything like they've come up with on the LaRue site.

I like the colour, the lower (think only KA did it before AEG wise and their externals aren't as nice), the trades, pistol grip and muzzle device and I'd just replace the stock anyway so that doesn't phase me.  But it's the combination they've gone with that's killed it.  A standard LaRue lower with that upper even with the pointless KeyMod (that's likely off spec) would've been a lot better, or just do the proper proprietary upper with the extra wings on, I'm sure they could mange it.

It's not a fantastic replica of the gun it's trying to ape; But it is a nice looking SBR with some swish accessories, a fairly unique lower and a decent colour. 

Worst case scenario, it's a snazzy AR from a proven manufacturer with some new and unique parts and accessories that will inevitably be released on their own or as part of other guns eventually.

I speak from first hand experience as I picked up a couple of these guns while on my last trip to HK, one in Black and one in FDE. It's actually not a terrible replica. It's inaccurate in a few places, but decent. The gun actually comes from HeroArms. Basically, it's a King Arms Larue receiver, G&P internals and crane stock, with PTS grip and Beta Project magazine, and the front end is Hero Arms' own creation. HeroArms specializes in customization, and I made one request that the guns come without the Costa Ludus logos. I'll post a pick this week. I'm having the guns down graded (it was shooting at 410fps on 0.25g BBs) and having the mini-deans switched to regular deans.

I should add, I didn't pay $558 as EHA are listing it. You can get it far cheaper directly from HeroArms (though, sadly they don't have a website yet). I paid a little over $400 for each of mine.

The rail panels are decent, but not nearly as aggressive as LaRue's. LaRue's have a very distinct texture that was hand made. HeroArms' is similar but rather than an aggressive dot texture, it has raised pictograms (which appears to be mini-Texas flags … which I found to be quite amusing). I replaced all the panels with real LaRue panels. And it appears the guns now ship with a LE stock derivative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, it took a while to find the time to take the pics. Here's the black and the FDE replicas:

PredatAR-Black-sm.jpg

PredatAR-FDE-sm.jpg

The black rifle has real LaRue PredatAR panels. The FDE rifle has the original replica rail panels. Aside from the pistol grips, all other accessories are added after the fact.

• 5 weeks later...

Hee, hee actually I've always thought that KA LaRue receivers just couldn't vanish just like that from the market... ;).
Now, let's ask Mark LaRue what's his opinion about those ;).

• 9 months later...

Archived