Torque oriented parts = hard wearing?

Lone_Bullet

I constantly catch myself thinking this:

" It's a high torque part, meant to work under a lot of mechanical stress, it must last very long under light load. "

But is this even remotely true?

Take this 'workhorse' project I'm currently out of funds for: I was planning to take a Lonex SP150 V2 gearbox and just swap the spring with a SP100 and redo the shimjob.

Yes, I am lazy like that but that besides the matter. Would this SP150 gearbox last longer with a SP100?

Take in account that I was planning of running a 15C+ 11.1V LiPo and Lonex A1 motor for the trigger response.

What would you say?

PS: I'm not even sure if the SP150 boxes use high torque/helical gears.

High torque basically means low ratio gears and more windings on the motor. Nothing to do with materials etc unless some company has decided to make their stuff out of Tungsten or Titanium.

Of course, there are various materials out there for gears and various methods of manufacture, e.g. cast/machined or sintered but when it comes to airsoft they are all much of a muchness and quite frankly unless someone has published a data set on what's what then your not really going to know whether your buying junk or not until you try it.

Tom.

Well yes, the shape of the tooth ( helical and straight ) and ratio comes to mind indeed.

But is there any other difference? For example a full steel tooth rack or Aluminium piston head.

It's so easy to advertise something as ' suitable for SP150 '... What makes it so suitable? 

Reinforced this, hardened that, does it actually do what it is advertised for? 

Technically a helical gearset will have more surface area per gear tooth so there's more material to wear down. But that is hardly how AEG failures go which are gear teeth shearing off and pistons stripping. IMO a well tuned gearbox (shimming, sorbo, aoe, good grease) are more beneficial in terms of longevity. The torque based components are only more capable in handling heavier loads. Think of it like driving in first gear all the time with no other passengers; it doesn't necessarily mean your trips to the mechanic will be less frequent.

Metallurgically speaking, I've never found "Torque up" AEG Gearsets to be better than regular ones. If you want mechanical reliability, like renegadecow said, correct tuning will benefit you more than a fancy gearset.

That being said, not all Airsoft gearsets are created equal, and if ultimate durability is your goal then consider investing in a set of Siegetek gears, which by all rights should last 'till judgement day and beyond.

Lonex gears are acceptable. They're well made and nicely consistent, but in my experience a little soft. I have seen deformation of teeth on every gear in more than a few lonex sets. Not to the extent where the gearsets failed, but certainly something to bare in mind.

If you don't fancy spending the ~€110 on a siegetek set, I find that SHS gears are pretty much the best value for money in airsoft, assuming you don't get a duff set, as there's always a chance of that on the china-lottery :)

Archived