Insides of an airsoft silencer? Pictures?

Dacascos

After seeing and reading quite a few threads this week alone of people making custom this and that and CNC designs and 3D printing etc I was wondering about what could be done.
No over in engineering I know we have mills and lathes so I'm thinking silencer at the moment maybe later and outter barrel

My question is how does an airsoft silencer work? Whats inside it? I know how a real one works but the baffle design there would just discharge the air pressure making the round almost fall out of the barrel lol so anyone any knowledge or pictures on the subject??

Thanks

The problem with the airsoft silencer debate is that the folks testing them will have their ear glued to the mechbox/working parts so they don't hear a change.

If you listen downrange you will. Even just an empty can or pop bottle will affect what you hear.

I remember watching a video where some guys tested how effective they actually were. Up close the GB is the loudest noise and certainly the thing the shooter hears the most. What was interesting was that down range the noise was a bit quieter and significantly harder to judge the direction of. This was most true if the AEG was firing at you which is of course the ideal for the shooter. I've also seem a guy in the mall with a suppressed ACR shoot about six guys in the back from a few meters and none of them turned round. I was walking back dead, it was face-palm inducing.

Edit: this is all assuming you're using a good quality suppressor with effective sound damping foam.

I'd say worth while on anything. But as lone_bullet has said it does add length. If you're running a 10.5" rifle it wont be an issue really even for CQB but much longer than that requires awareness.. I am soon to be using a 17" set up on my P* in CQB which will take a bit of getting used to no doubt! 

Any type of baffeling in the tube will help. I have been lucky enough to whitness a player use an RS .308 suppressor on an airsoft gun and its as effective as foam.

My lazy man suppressors unclude an old AEG spring wrapped with paper towel and stuffed into cheap chinese non foamed mock suppressors.

A good reshim and an upgraded (and well shimmed) high torque motor will make the rest of the noises your gun makes nice and quiet.

Disagree. On an NBB like the TM Mk.23 or a Polarstar they can be very effective.

This, anyone who says a foam filled airsoft suppressor does nothing has obviously never tried a TM Mk23 or anything like it, removing the suppressors on my ICS MP5 SDs makes a noticable difference as well, even on the one that hasn't got an airbrake piston head fitted.

How much are the 'cheap chinese non foamed' suppressors and where di you find them?? Thinkning that may be easier than cutting one up if all I need do is add foam!

You can pick them up for as little as $8 plus shipping from stores in Hong Kong, chances are they'll arrive with foam in them already, I suspect the foam is removed if they're being sent to the US as I've never come across one without foam myself.

Bear in mind you do generally get what you pay for, cheap usually means very heavy for their size and poor quality threading, I remember showing a King Arms suppressor ($25 in HK) I have to an engineer I know years ago and he literally laughed at the quality of the threads, it's usable, but pretty poor really. If it's intended for an AEG or a NBB/fixed barrel pistol then the weight won't be a real issue but if it's going on a GBB with a floating barrel then I'd avoid the cheap ones and look for something fairly light that won't slow down the cycling and reduce efficiency so much.

About the only time I would say a suppressor is totally (or near enough useless) is in enclosed spaces / indoors on a GBB pistol.

This is because the report of the gun will echo enough so that you hear it over the shot anyway and the tiniest change to the bbs flight is easily off set by the sheer size it adds to the gun.

Though outdoors, on a gun like a P90 which you can easily muffle the gearbox action of they can be very effective. Or for a perfect example try a stock TM G-Spec with the suppressor. At 20m the sound of the bolt action being operated was the only thing that gave the shooter away and that was only when we had complete silence in order to find them.

'FireKnife'

Archived