Insides of an airsoft silencer? Pictures?

Dacascos

Or for a perfect example try a stock TM G-Spec with the suppressor. At 20m the sound of the bolt action being operated was the only thing that gave the shooter away and that was only when we had complete silence in order to find them.

We did a sniper only day at our site. You could tell who's rifle had been modded for silence, and who had overlooked it in favour of getting up to maximum fps.

For AEGs, an airsoft silencer is effective in reducing and modifying some aspect of the muzzle report for up to 16" of barrel length.  They are particularly effective in reducing the muzzle report of short barreled AEGs with excessive cylinder to barrel volume.  I have tested an ICS M4 QD silencer on a 460fps OSW rifle and a 420fps ICS M4 CQBR platform with around -20db reduction (from 85db to 65db 2m in front of the muzzle).  Of course both these rifles had 10-11" barrels.  While testing the same silencer on an M16A2/G3, the reduction has been around 2-3db which is nothing spectacular. 

This is the same for spring rifles, where it works for short barrel jobbies like the GSPEC but less so for longer barrelled rifles.

As for mechbox noise,I had a CA MP5SD3 shooting at 380fps, without silencer was at 83db while with the silencer was at 70db, while using an airbrake the noise reduced to 60db. 

For GBBs, generally speaking a silencer is near useless on every model except for say on a KSC MP9.  Even if the sound is contained from the muzzle, the gas leaks out the back where the barrel is which makes hardly any difference.

For an NBB, it is extremely effective.

In regards to testing airsoft silencers on real steel as mock silencers, aside from some G&P silencers, majority I would not even attempt with live rounds.  I tested an ICS M4 QD silencer with blank 556 rounds and the silencer mounting stripped itself off the silencer.  It was a part of a bolt bounce test I was conducting and needed to muffle the sound.  Subsequently I used locktite for mounting barrel liners, on the silencer mounting inner surface and it held fine, though I would not use it on a RS again.

The last one I bought has conical metallic inserts inside instead of foam. I haven't tested it yet, but the foam one I have makes a difference in my Mk18 due to the excess air from the cylinder, as Dan just pointed out.

This is the same for spring rifles, where it works for short barrel jobbies like the GSPEC but less so for longer barrelled rifles.

It works quite well on a full length VSR too as the VSR cylinder is somewhat over volumed for it's needs.

Of course, it helps if you've done other mods to reduce the sound from the piston slapping against the cylinder head.

• 3 weeks later...

The last one I bought has conical metallic inserts inside instead of foam. I haven't tested it yet, but the foam one I have makes a difference in my Mk18 due to the excess air from the cylinder, as Dan just pointed out.

Would you post pictures of it? I'm curious to see what the baffle setup looks like. 

An airsoft silencer is pure cosmetic, and doesnt have any influence on the db's

in some cases its used to hide a longer inner barrel.

I must say, i need to reconsider my previous point of view, in this theme !

after seeing al this opinions&replys

And on top of it, i was confronted with the fact's, when i tesfired  my CQBR build !! :blush:  

with my selfmade KAC NT4 DQSS 

The GSPEC suppressor also has conical plastic baffles, separated by foam. I believe the idea is the sound wave is bounced back through the foam again, further reducing it. The shape makes it harder for the soundwave to exit the end of the suppressor. I'm pretty sure I've seen a youtube vid of a guy making his own airsoft suppressor and the version with baffles was quieter than the version with just foam.

The GSPEC suppressor also has conical plastic baffles, separated by foam. I believe the idea is the sound wave is bounced back through the foam again, further reducing it. The shape makes it harder for the soundwave to exit the end of the suppressor. I'm pretty sure I've seen a youtube vid of a guy making his own airsoft suppressor and the version with baffles was quieter than the version with just foam.

So the Baffle is actually designed to mimic a real suppressor? 

Yeah that works.  Usually airsoft silencers are full of foam baffles and doesn't really act to slow the air down like a muzzle brake.  Usually removing every 2nd Foam baffle will slow the air down and make the silencers work better.

Most 556 silencers have either 3-4 baffles, pistol silencers do have a few more...Strangely.

An airsoft silencer is pure cosmetic, and doesnt have any influence on the db's

in some cases its used to hide a longer inner barrel.

Aaannnnd I disagree. Lol.

I had this old element silencer that was almost a foot long, it was foam filled the entire way. On my polar star, you couldn't hear it past 20 ft.

For AEGs it may be different, but that's mainly because the noise is coming from the gearbox, not the end of the barrel.

Aaannnnd I disagree. Lol.

I had this old element silencer that was almost a foot long, it was foam filled the entire way. On my polar star, you couldn't hear it past 20 ft.

For AEGs it may be different, but that's mainly because the noise is coming from the gearbox, not the end of the barrel.

I must say, i need to reconsider my previous point of view, in this theme !

after seeing al this opinions&replys

And on top of it, i was confronted with the fact's, when i tesfired  my CQBR build !! :blush:  

with my selfmade KAC NT4 DQSS 

Too late HJN  :bye1: 

i found already out by  myself

Usually removing every 2nd Foam baffle will slow the air down and make the silencers work better.

Oh really? I feel I might need to remove some foam from mine.

I wonder why they send them full of foam then, if it's actually detrimental to the performance.

I tried this a while back with a couple of silencers but couldn't really hear any difference,

The db meter on my phone (just a free app) said they were the same level at the muzzle, but these were short silencers on an aeg.

I've just fitted a threaded barrel to a Co2 NBB though so I might try full foam/ half foam/ foam+ baffles on that when I get the chance.

Jim

Here's the videos I mentioned earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MEWuoHQ4OM - Custom Airsoft suppressor with baffles vs without baffles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gabOvdtu4QI - test of suppressors on various guns : pistol, GBB rifle, bolt action. From various distances to give good perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVaJBlY1LSQ - MK23 socom NBB with/without :)

Archived