Ares VZ.58

Imperator

Figured LCT would have been working on one in the wings first, given their recent M70 hintings as well.

Oh well, this will make some folks happy to finally have something for their collections, and more waiting for another company to pick it up.

They seemed to have focused on the sporter models made by another Czech company rather than the original manufacturer.

Always nice to see new models despite whoever makes them. Can only be cheaper than the custom conversion models sold by airsoftpro and other Czech dealers.  The reason for using the models made by another company than the original may be that ASG has the licensing agreement with Ceská Zbrojovka. Pure speculation of course!

• 1 month later...

Proprietary mags? I'm out.

That's correct, real vz58s do not use AK mags. They have their own design which locks back the bolt with the last round.

Remembering the PPSH41, I'm not going to disagree that it probably uses more propietary parts than it should be necessary, but unlike other companies at least ARES sell them directly to consumers (like KJW).

The color looks bad, it should be a blueish gray.

They could go the Galil way: own mags but ak-style compatible. But noooo...

But they don't use the same magazine set up, they look superficially similar like G3 and M14 magazines but they're different in enough ways that making them compatible would just leave you with an inaccurate replica. My main gripe is why the modernised look for the first edition? Also with the position of the feed tube, the real Vz.58 is appreciably shorter than an AK and airsoft AKs are already longer than RS dimensions.

My main gripe is why the modernised look for the first edition? 

I'm surprised you'd ask, considering "Strike Back" is a British series... Its pretty obvious they drew inspiration from the loadouts used on the show, considering a number of their promo posters for the VZ58 feature screen shots from the show.

10409387_869684923063172_864159560789421

Hmm, so nothing really about this excites me. Shame really as if it wasn't ARES internals (they make nice externals when they try though) and could take other, easier to source, AK mags I would be all over it as I like short designs that are more akin to an AK than a M4.

Still nice to see it as a design, though my interest in Strike Back was so low the fact it was in that doesn't really make me care any less or more.

'FireKnife'

I see, I rarely if ever watch TV is the thing, British or otherwise. My american friends all seem to be into Dr Who, they all seem genuinely surprised that I actually never watch that show. Is strike back like the new ultimate farce or something?

No idea,I don't watch TV much either, asides from the news; I just download the occasional series. Dunno what's up with the Dr Who hype either, I watched a bit of an episode or two from recommendations and I found it so dry and boring that I never bothered with it.

Strike Back is pretty much a niche show that was honestly meh when I watched it a year or two ago, not sure how I stumbled onto it. Sub par story lines, forced drama, a bit of action/pew pews to keep you interested, and then there's the "there's no way this would happen but lets throw in some sex here and there with the gratuitous boob shot of the female casting so the audience will keep watching this show" situation/drama.

I'll continue to not watch it then :P yeah I really don't get the whole Dr Who thing. Anyway, back on topic, hopefully someone will make a version of this that is cheaper and better internally. I don't like to do the whole "I want a cheap clone!!" But with Ares... I want a cheap clone because they're overpriced and the internals apparently suck.

• 1 month later...

For me, the mags aren´t an issue. I'm used to having non-exchageable mags (G3, HK53, UZI). I like the unique look they bring. But there is the real steel AR mag conversion, like Isamu said, so they might offer that in the future, or someone could 3D print something like that.
The real turn-off for me is the furniture. I hope they come out with some classic bakelite furniture.

Archived