TM 1911 mags gas efficiency

SuperCriollo

So, I bought an upgraded to the titties TM 1911 which came with 3 used MEU mags.

After playing with the pistol a few games I noticed I wouldn't get more than 22 - 25 shots before the blowback wouldn't be able to load the next round as it ran out of gas.

I don't have this problem with my other 3 old school style mags though, which are brand new TMs (25 shots with lock back).

My question is, I think the problem with the MEU mags is either the gas routers might be a bit worn down, causing poor air seal, or that they don't sit high enough.

Should I .... ?

1. Shim the mag gas routers higher?
2. Buy new guarder gas routers
3. Figure a way to make the mags sit higher, as the MEU mags seem to wobble more than the GI mags which fit exceptionally well.

Yup, it has a Nova metal slide and frame.

Great idea ! Renegadecow, I'll try doing that. The MEU routers seem fine, no visible wear that I can see

Well I'm already getting 25 shots+lock back with my brand new A1 style mags, I just want my MEU ones to match that performance :P

Question: would a stiffer nozzle return spring also help with gas efficiency? I've noticed that the nozzle doesn't return back as snappy as I would want. I took apart the blowback unit, cleaned, re-lubed, and stretched the spring a tinny bit, which seemed to help.

Here are the 1911 specs

- Nova kit Slide and frame)

- steel outer barrel

- Lightweight Blow back housing ( AS I think)

- ProG4 Sear

- ProG4 Valve knocker

- ProG4 Steel Trigger Stirrup

- PDI Steel Hammer strut

- Airsoft Surgeon Steel Disconnector Set

- Airsoft Surgeon Rubber recoil buffer & washer set

- Nineball Piston Head

- Guarder recoil spring (150%)

- Guarder hammer spring (150%)

- Shooters Design Loading Nozzle

- AIP hop up unit

- TK inner barrel

- PDI hop up rubber

I hope that is detailed enough xD.

Stock TM 1911 does about 35 rounds out of a full mag of green gas

Adding a metal slide* lowers that A LOT

harder hammer spring lowers that a fair chunk

Harder recoil spring lowers that a tiny bit

high flow valves lower that A LOT

Lightweight BBU* increases that but not as much as the metal slide lowers it.

*Weigh your original BBU and slide together, and compare to the metal slide and LW BBU. the more weight, the more gas is needed to make it move.

(Your modifications to sear/hammer may increase or decrease, it's very hard to measure and it's rarely more than a shot or two per fill)

Ultimately you're looking at the GBB with, like, the smallest ever gas container evar in the magazine, man! Getting 20 rounds with a metal slide is good.

Padding the gas routs is actually a good thing and does improve gas efficiency. I increased my plastic slide 1911 from 36 to 37 rounds by varying the padding under the routs!

I used layers of cling film as they are thin and easy to manipulate, I tried up to 7 layers before my gun started jamming and ended up taking them all out because it was fraking pointless.

Check your piston head seal is good, as I increased my efficiency by 10(yes ten) shots by going from a very poor seal to a rather good seal.

A friend of mine once built a metal slide, 400fps monster out of a TM 1911 and he was loading 7 rounds per mag as it generally ran out of gas at 11-12. He was also out ranging some snipers.

Reporting back here.

I managed to shim two of my MEU mags. The result is that the performance increase is astonishing. From 22-25 shots, now I'm getting 42 consistently ! :0

This was done at room temperature, and leaving an interval of approximately 1 second per shot fired.

The kick is noticeably stronger, and remains more consistent as the gas is depleted.

The only thing that remains to be seen, is the longevity of the routers.

Reporting back here.

I managed to shim two of my MEU mags. The result is that the performance increase is astonishing. From 22-25 shots, now I'm getting 42 consistently ! :0

This was done at room temperature, and leaving an interval of approximately 1 second per shot fired.

The kick is noticeably stronger, and remains more consistent as the gas is depleted.

The only thing that remains to be seen, is the longevity of the routers.

Shenanigans!

I've never seen a 1911 shoot that many rounds unless it is loaded with duster gas!

Are you loading BBs when you shoot?

Yup, it has a Nova metal slide and frame.

There's your problem right there. Sounds silly but it just is.

As for the 42rds, I have managed 43 on 144a indoors using a stock TM 1911 and 50 using a Detonics. I can barely believe anything past 30 on a metal slide (and it isn't like I have no experience of that platform :P).

'FireKnife'

Trust me, I can barely believe it myself xD.  Although, some other players round Canada have reported to get almost two mags on highly tuned 1911s

My original goal was to get at least a full mag out of my MEU mags,something that I was already doing with my A1 mags.

I'll try to get a video on tomorrows game :P

I myself get a good number of shots when using MEU magazines with duster in my stock TM Detonics. I don't know about 40+ but I'm going to check. Magazines have to be warm (naturally) but I know its far better number of shots than when I use those magazines in my TM MEU or 1911A1.

I myself get a good number of shots when using MEU magazines with duster in my stock TM Detonics. I don't know about 40+ but I'm going to check. Magazines have to be warm (naturally) but I know its far better number of shots than when I use those magazines in my TM MEU or 1911A1.

That might be due to the fact the slide and cut down BBU unit weigh somewhere between 66% and 50% of the full sizes models. Much less gas is needed to cycle due to the lighter weight of the slide. Detonics pistols can get a good amount of shots even from the little stock magazine.

'FireKnife'

Archived