New AEG X-15S drum magazine coming soon

WWJS?

EbairSoft has just released a new photo of an airsoft replica of the skeletonized version of XProducts' X-15 compact drum magazine for AEG's (which EbairSoft had previously hinted at, by showing it's 3D model):

vN4Rcv2.jpg

http://www.ebairsoft.com/coming-soon-p-8475.html

Looking good, should be a very interesting mag option for support-style airsoft AR-15's like the M27 IAR, etc., being a far more compact and possibly much lighter when full (obviously at the cost of much less capacity) alternative to the current airsoft drum magazines.

Seeing them a lot on YT has piqued my interest I have to say, kinda tempting just as a prop/photo ops purchase.  Not seen any new types of airsoft drum be released for a good while... though I've not been looking admittedly.  Shame PTS can't make a nice no-winding version of the Magpul 60 rounder for us, that'd be good for a no-rig loadout.

Yeah, I think the last new airsoft drum mag announcement I've heard about was the ICS adaptive drum magazine a couple of years back; I've never read more info on it after being released, but the swappable magazine adapters for many gun types was a great idea.

A no-winding, Magpul PMAG D60-esque PTS EPM drum magazine, eh? That would be interesting to see...

These styles of compact drum mags make me wonder how reliable a spring-loaded drum mag would be... (No rattling, but it would have to have a huge spring.) Another possible alternative system to electric feeding would be a drum with a sort of push-cable system like the Lonex flash mags.

I think some AK mids go up to like 180?  Might be some larger ones out there I'm not aware of.

Seems like it might be possible to push it up to hi-cap levels if made right.  Personally that's what I'd like to see anyway; neither any rattling nor electric motor whirring (sounds stupid with an AEG I know, but I'm just not a fan).

Some years ago I randomly came across the SOCOM Gear M4 mid caps with a whopping 190 BB's and at an excellent price, considering they're very good-looking, licensed replicas of the Lancer L5AWM and Troy Battlemags:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Socom+Gear+190

Holy *suitcase*! At that price I might get one of those mag packs someday and if I like'em I'll probably get another one in the other colour as well. Just out of curiosity, here's a pic from the Ares site showing how their 140 mid caps are setup:

http://www.aresairsoft.com/for%20web%20only/new%20product/M16140mag.jpg

It's probably a matter of time until these compact drum mags are adapted into jumbo-sized, spring-loaded "mid/high" caps; yet another great possibility for these new drum mag designs for airsoft would be GBBR's.

Why has nobody built a rifle.drum mag for a gbbr??? It blows.my mind that the only drum. Mag that exists is for a niche version of an already niche pistol.

Say 80-90 rounds and a decent size of gas.chamber and it would be awesome. An x15 or d60 or hell.go old school with the betamag in whatever flavour of gas m4 you want.... yes please.

I suspect the complexity of the build is what's preventing it. Real drum magazines are somewhat complex anyway and you'd have specific challenges posed by the shape of the ammunition vs real ammunition. What I was thinking was that a helical design like the calico or Bizon SMGs use could be repurposed for airsoft 6mm ammunition. The problem with a conventional drum design is transferring the force from a coil spring to the BBs would likely be complicated and probably quite unreliable. Simply having a longer compression spring would likely result in feed issues, so maybe a helical feed system would solve those problems?

Are you forgetting we have 100+ round midcaps that work just fine? A GBB drum would just be a combination of a midcap BB track and a big gas reservoir. Not difficult. WE have been working on an 80-round double-STANAG mag for a while now. They're probably not more common because they'd be even more expensive than GBB mags already are, and would likely result in less BBs per volume carried than normal mags (e.g. WE's 80 round thing is about as bulky as 3 30 rounders but it's all in one lump, much less convenient). 

I'd like one just to say I had one and it would be great fun for long bursts of realistic heavy suppressive fire. Changing mags every 150-200 rounds. Plus the sound of a gas gun as well.

I mean the luger did it so there's precedent for doubling capacity and epic gas capacity

Hell if we ever get a gas Thompson I want one of those 1911 drum mags to match. ED-Skar's full auto detonics with one of these attached.

drum2.jpg

*Someone said my name, I must rouse from my slumber*

Personally for a 1911 I just want absurdly long stick mags, the standard 26bb mag is ~4 inches, the 40 round mag is ~6 inches, I'm after something in the order of 10 inches making for probably in the region of 80-90BBs

However for the on topic part of this post:

Pretty much every AEG midcap magazine has a double stack of BBs that snakes around inside the shell.

If I were to design one of these single drum type magazines for a GBBr then I would do something similar, stick with the single stack feed but have it curl around the edge of the drum. Even a single full loop, plus the height of the tower would come to well over 200BBs.

200BBs with technology that exists already, nothing experimental, just a new shell.

I wonder how much gas a single drum type magazine could hold. Someone tell me the gas capacity range of various magazines in the different GBBrs that exist!

*Someone said my name, I must rouse from my slumber*

Personally for a 1911 I just want absurdly long stick mags, the standard 26bb mag is ~4 inches, the 40 round mag is ~6 inches, I'm after something in the order of 10 inches making for probably in the region of 80-90BBs

Absurdly long you say?

191120mag.jpg

50 round stick mag.

I've seen this used in a crappy early 80's action movie in a car chase, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

Absurdly long you say?

50 round stick mag.

I've seen this used in a crappy early 80's action movie in a car chase, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

I see your 50 round stick mag and raise you 600.

Yes.  I know it's a joke.

Well this has been nice, but to try to force this back on topic...

Can someone please tell me how many rounds of gas you get in your GBBr from a standard 30 round style magazine?

Probably a good idea.

Full travel GBBR or short stroke type?

I have a TM GBB MP7 which would be akin to a short stroke type such as the GHK ones, and I get two and a half fills of BB from each mag of green gas.

Probably a good idea.

Full travel GBBR or short stroke type?

I have a TM GBB MP7 which would be akin to a short stroke type such as the GHK ones, and I get two and a half fills of BB from each mag of green gas.

I've never seen an MP7 feeding from a 5.56 magazine...

Archived