New AEG X-15S drum magazine coming soon

WWJS?

I suspect the complexity of the build is what's preventing it. Real drum magazines are somewhat complex anyway and you'd have specific challenges posed by the shape of the ammunition vs real ammunition. What I was thinking was that a helical design like the calico or Bizon SMGs use could be repurposed for airsoft 6mm ammunition. The problem with a conventional drum design is transferring the force from a coil spring to the BBs would likely be complicated and probably quite unreliable. Simply having a longer compression spring would likely result in feed issues, so maybe a helical feed system would solve those problems?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant for AEG magazines.

Yeah. The thing is, of course, one can just very easily and inexpensively get for example two 190 mid caps (for a total of 380 BB's), which will fit in a double STANAG magazine pouch (very inexpensive and the most ubiquitous of mag pouches, which use a fairly minimal amount of MOLLE space), with a very low total weight, many of these questions also apply to potential GBBR drum magazines.

Those propositions are unbeatable for the overwhelming majority of airsofters and for very great reasons; that and especially the possible complexity of a less conventional, AEG mid cap airsoft drum magazine (which couldn't be too expensive to remain relatively competitive with regular mid caps) for a possible niche of the airsoft market which is of unknown proportions at this time means that, while the helical magazine is an interesting idea, unfortunately it would be likely far too exotic, much more complex and possibly expensive than airsoft manufacturers would be willing to go at this point (especially without knowing the possible market interest for these products).

That is, if any airsoft manufacturer is willing to pick these new compact drum designs and tries to make a jumbo-sized AEG mid cap out of them, they'll more than likely resort to tried-and-true and very affordable designs like those of the high +100 BB mid caps, using a coil spring; the real question being how many BB's these larger "mid cap" magazines could effectively carry without significantly compromising feeding reliability. It's also important to note that the double-stacked inner tube of the +100 BB mid caps appears to be limited by the thickness of the magazine's walls, here's Ares' pic again:

y42nKhA.jpg

On the plus side, I know that at least the PMAG D60 was made to be easily opened, this could probably prove useful in an airsoft version for various reasons:

57RDZI3.jpg

As far as I know mid caps have gotten up to 200 rounds for those CYMA RPK mid caps. I don't really know how much larger you could make them before they develop feed issues, probably somewhat larger since those CYMA ones feeds really well. Eventually though you will either end up with the springs not having the strength to feed from full or too much pressure at points that just leads to jams, I know I've experienced both with some mid caps. You're probably right on the drum mag point, just use the extra space to make the largest feasible capacity double stack mid cap, even if you could get them up to hi-cap capacity that would be something, say 300-400 rounds with no rattle and no winding. Does anyone know where you can buy the type of spring used for mid caps? I had a look but couldn't find anytime like it...

It doesn't use a clockwork mechanism, it uses a double stack feed that is wrapped around inside the mag. That makes it a mid cap.

think you've missed the wood for the trees ;)

edit: and fwiw I think the important word is "capacity" .. .lo cap, hi cap or standard mag doesn't really reference the mechanism at all. 

think you've missed the wood for the trees ;)

edit: and fwiw I think the important word is "capacity" .. .lo cap, hi cap or standard mag doesn't really reference the mechanism at all.

To me the differentiation has always been the mechanism, originally you had low cap or standard cap magazines that use a single stack, compression spring driven feed. You also had hi-capacity magazines developed that use a clockwork mechanism that we're all familiar with. Later you had the development of double stack, compression spring driven magazines that were called mid capacity to differentiate them from low or standard capacity magazines on the one and high capacity magazines on the ether. They also happen to provide a mid range capacity when compared to these two for a given magazine design, so, a standard capacity AK47 magazine holds about 70 BBs, a mid capacity magazine around 120-150 BBs and a high capacity clockwork magazine between 500-600 BBs. For the terminology to make sense and not just be an arbitrary numerical cut off most people use these terms to mean the internal mechanism not the specific round count. You also have some variations of these mechanism like real capacity magazines which are just deliberately cut off standard caps in terms of mechanism and electrically driven drum magazines which are just very big high caps with an electrical motor driving the clockwork mechanism. I guess what people are finding is that the mid cap, double stack design is handy because it affords higher carry capacity than standard magazines but without the rattle of high caps so it's interesting to see where that tech could go.

Sites restricting hi-capacity magazines seems like a rather niche issue, sure that's going to be on ammo carriage grounds. You still have a fairly big gulf between mid caps and high caps though if you're looking at magazines of like dimensions. So say, a stanag type magazine is around 300 rounds for a high cap (470 for the longer types IIRC) but only up to about 140 rounds for a mid cap, someone running a plate carrier with tones of mag pouches therefore can carry 2-3 times the amount of ammo for a given number of magazines. Sure, they will also sound like a giant maraca but hey, more ammo.

I guess things get a little confusing with things like short high capacity design magazines (VN type M16 magazines) that hold about 190 rounds but still operate on a clockwork mechanism, the way I see it if you have a double stack design of the same magazine type you will end up with a lower capacity. As much as anything it's an agreed upon nomenclature, I for one would be a bit miffed if I ordered "AK mid caps" and got a short AK high cap because I specifically want something that isn't clockwork and doesn't rattle. The flip side is if someone ordered "RPK high cap" and got a 200 round double stack magazine rather than an 800 round clockwork magazine again I imagine they'd be fairly annoyed.

haha I know how the mags work... again wood for the trees. I think that sites that restrict hicap mags do so on gameplay reasons rather than mechanical... compare a non winding 190rnd mag to a winding 200rnd mag (like one of those ak shorty mags).

And in identical size to your 190 non winding stanag mag you get 300-450 rounds in a highcap, and in your winding 200 round short ak mag you could only fit about 50 rounds if it used a single stack lowcap mechanism or about 100 if it had a double stack midcap.

given the size of the magazine:

single stack gives the LOWEST CAPACITY

double stack gives the MIDDLE CAPACITY

clockwork mech gives HIGHEST CAPACITY

And hence the names match the mechanism.

And in identical size to your 190 non winding stanag mag you get 300-450 rounds in a highcap, and in your winding 200 round short ak mag you could only fit about 50 rounds if it used a single stack lowcap mechanism or about 100 if it had a double stack midcap.

given the size of the magazine:

single stack gives the LOWEST CAPACITY

double stack gives the MIDDLE CAPACITY

clockwork mech gives HIGHEST CAPACITY

And hence the names match the mechanism.

Again, I know this... I'll refrain from using capital letters to make my point but consider this;

"if someone can't see the wood for the trees, they are unable to understand what is important in a situation because they are giving too much attention to details "

I'll leave it there. 

Again, I know this... I'll refrain from using capital letters to make my point but consider this;

"if someone can't see the wood for the trees, they are unable to understand what is important in a situation because they are giving too much attention to details "

I'll leave it there. 

But what if the wood has been turned into toothpicks?

So im the bad girl who caused a thread derail.... ooopsie

The trade off for a higher capacity midcaps mechanism mag is weight and bulk same as real life. Yeah a 240 round midcaps would be great for a break contact where all that matters is rounds downrange or for covering fire but if I am carrying drum mags rather than a 190 m4 midcap for that extra 60 rounds is it worth the bulk or would rocking coupled mags or working on my changes make more sense.

Personally, I'd only ever shoot about 200-250 rounds in a woodland game maximum between reloads.  So a midcap that did the entire thing and removed the need to carry any spare mags would be a cool option to have.  Already got a few PTS mags in couplers which give 240 rounds in one package and can be easily reloaded in well under 2 seconds (drop, across, in), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a ~250 midcap drum.  More options on the market is never a bad thing.

Archived