Too Much Testosterone Not Enough Marshals

renegadecow

This has been making its rounds around forums and even got the attention of a local news station:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/02/17/caught-on-camera-war-game-gets-out-of-hand-at-airsoft-range/

There are other videos taken of the same pileup and while looking around on YouTube I'm alarmed in finding other videos much like it. People trying to stab other people (with a plastic knife, but those can still poke a hole through someone), invitations to backdoor fistfights, and even one video where two scrawny individuals size up on a guy brandishing their newly issued army IDs like those actually mean anything. I know tempers flare up around the world and rarely ever come to any physical confrontations, but the number of videos caught on camera are growing. Is this just a trend from the increasing use of helmet cams or is the community as a whole simply degrading in quality?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of both I believe. With money being generally tighter for most people, Airsoft in the UK has seen alot more newcomers that would have normally been paintball rentals but got put off due to the paint cost. With such a influx of hire players, in game marshalls generally have less time to guide new players and many experienced players end up ignoring them. 

Those that stick around haven't learned how to clear buildings or show any form of "aggression" in cqb so games end up with both teams hugging doorways and not moving at all regardless of the objectives in that game.

As to the more MIlsim side of things, I had a brief taste of it then left, several instances of people being *rickrolls* "because the rules allow them to be". in such a climate I can see things getting out of hand quite easily.

Then there is the mighty helmet cam. Or as I have come to think of them as "how to get yourself banned from site" devices. I know of 2 players that have got themselves in trouble with a site after posting up helmet cam videos showing poor gamesmanship. Long long till all players are issued with helmet cams monitored by marshalls in front of a bank of screens? 

it comes with growing popularity and its also one of the reasons paintball has lost popularity. there was and still is an element of paintball players that have foolish pride in what they call aggro. they are proud of their violent and aggressive personalities. as airsoft gets more popular, more and more of those types of people find the hobby. and with the growing use of action cameras, you see more and more instances of those personalities surfacing. from quick calls that were wrong, violently lashing out at cheaters to straight up brawls.

the quality of the game must be upheld by the field and the players. i have already had to bar a couple people from playing due to violent personalities. just don't visit the fields that do nothing to keep the game fun and safe.

well that was a scuffle! 

i have my fair share of temper issues, mainly when someone isn't obviously not taking hits but never let it get like this. I've noticed that over the years its gone from a game of having fun and reliving good moments to lots of bragging and mocking and ever more dominated by the egotystical meat head

I've lost count of the amount of times I wanted to knock some little *fruitcage* out, especially the dude that shot my tooth out who was on my own team.

But I never did.

There's no excuse for poor self discipline, people who break the rules need to be punished.

I'm all for the gopro trend too, it just exposes so many cheaters (on both ends of the camera)

Darkchild

Haven't got a problem with people using helmet cams. Violent behaviour I have a problem with. I bet if the video footage hadn't shown up, this wouldn't have come to light. The more people have helmet cans, the more people will behave.

Edit: scorch, maybe go to a shop and try out the different rigs (chest mounted, shoulder mounted or helmet).

scorch, maybe go to a shop and try out the different rigs (chest mounted, shoulder mounted or helmet).

Chest would be obscured by my weapon when I aim, would obstruct my magazines when I wear my FAPC and completely useless if I go prone.

Shoulder and helmet (not that I wear a helmet) would be pointing at the ground every time I shoulder my weapon.

Only solution I can fathom, is one camera on me, and one on the gun. :(

I can tell you from personal experience, helmet mounted is the only way to go imo. Weapon mounts spend 90% of the time pointing somewhere else, chest mounts are always obscured, shoulder mounts are too ridiculous to even consider.

It's just a case of putting in the right place on your helmet.

Darkchild

GoPro is too bulky. Low profile head mount on a head torch strap seems ideal for me. Need to go buy one.

"Aggro" has a place in airsoft, only when properly utilised - clearing buildings, objectives etc

Fighting on the field has no place. Ever. See DC's approach - an infantry man with controlled aggression. You play soldiers, take heed from someone who was one.

GoPro is too bulky. Low profile head mount on a head torch strap seems ideal for me. Need to go buy one.

"Aggro" has a place in airsoft, only when properly utilised - clearing buildings, objectives etc

Fighting on the field has no place. Ever. See DC's approach - an infantry man with controlled aggression. You play soldiers, take heed from someone who was one.

I find a head strap too loose for me. That might be because I'm a fat mucker and it jiggles a lot as I move. Waiting to pick up one of those FMA Maritime replicas as my MICH replica was a pile of .

If you go Contour though I'd be happy to send you the headband strap I've got.

we used to use these http://www.gindart.com/buy/outdoor-sport-helmet-camera-waterproof-bike-bicycle-action-mini-p-3321.html  (or what the 2007/2008 equivalent was) mounted to a simple strap on the left of our lids.

If a contact kicked off, conduct your regular IA drills, then click record.

Those gopro things are too unwieldy for combat.

Darkchild

I guess it depends how it's managed. If footage of incidents is used to address them and discipline the offenders, fine, but some of them are being used as bragging rights (I'm sure most have seen the one with CQB site in the USAN from a floor up shooting someone, that person not taking their hits, then the player taking the video lighting the guy up in the back of the head).

That sort of culture needs stamping out equally as much as those caught on camera doing things wrong.

Personally I have only seen it once get close to a punch being thrown, at the Ground Zero weekender about 5 years ago, other than that I haven't seen such a trend appearing in the UK for the time being.

I've encountered a couple instances of real aggression in game, it happens, sometimes people can't seperate combat simulation from real aggression. Good marshalling is the only way of dealing with it, if someone has gotten to the point of physical violence then they're not going to listen to other players. Basically sites need to make sure they employ enough and good enough quality marshals to deal with those situations.

My understanding is that this brawl originated due to some misunderstanding about the so-called "bang" rule. Once the actual fighting started, the family members (or friends?) of one of the original brawlers rushed in and things escalated quickly. I had heard that the at-fault players were banned from that particular site and that their personal details were being spread around to other local fields to prevent them from playing.

Dependant on which sites I play at I have encountered a few meat heads , one of them a police officer who got brought down to earth with a bump by a quick witted sarcastic comment from my youngest son .

Basicaly he was refusing to take any hits from our team so my son outflanked him and knife killed him , he then got agressive to my son just as a marshall and myself arrived . He actualy threatened my son by saying he was a police officer and that my son was a minor and he would influence vRious people to get my son banned for dangerous behaviour on an Airsoft site !! And that he would make it his business to find my son and arrest him for whatever he felt like !!

My sons rebuff was " I don't like police any way , especially *albartroth* ones who have ego issues .

So go and do one .

The marshall and myself gave him an ear bashing and told him to pick on an adult instead of a kid .

He left the site after slamming his kit , guns and attitude around . A real *rickroller* , !!

I had to have a woooosah moment to stop myself from teaching the arrogant idiot a physical life lesson !!

Archived