coolurjets

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob15, interesting approach.

Take Ehobbyasia for a second. their restock page shows 57 items restocked for Ares (amoeba included)and only 2 for G&G, G&P 276 items.

If I take your analogy it would seem that G&G is doing bad, because there is barely no restock.

And when you check there AEG's, almost half of them are out of stock on Ehobby

That is quite the contrast compared to a restock of over a dozen Ares AEG's.

I am sure there will be stores where the other way round can be noticed.

Which brings me back to what business is all about. Cold hard Cash.

But in the end I have to say you UK guys sure use cheese alot. :D

They'd be the pre-polo trabant surely.

Trabants are bombproof to the point they became a waste disposal nightmare though. Little hassle, cheap, and easy to work on and keep running. And they are iconic.

I dont think ARES have ticked any of those boxes.

I'd rather have a trabant, than any ARES gun. At least I know the trabant will work for longer than 5 minutes.

ARES sell very well in HK because they keep coming out with m4 variants and most HK Airsofters are about as intelligent as a bag of rocks which dropped out of rock school.

'I got the ARES honey badger! It's so awesome but I'm going to buy the new upgraded trigger unit because it can take up to 30 amps! The shop said it'll take a week and cost me $500 on labour fees, such a bargain!'

Sigh

I keep getting the impression that AEGs are increasingly unpopular in HK... my HK friends (who all used to use exclusively PTWs years back) now all play with GBBRs only, thought it's a trend that's spreading to everyone, clearly I'm wrong.  

If they could all afford PTWs then the expense of GBBrs probably isn't too much of a barrier for them, when it comes to lower cost primaries though I'd guess AEGs are still very much king with most people getting their fill of GBB fun from pistols (often WE seemingly these days).

I keep getting the impression that AEGs are increasingly unpopular in HK... my HK friends (who all used to use exclusively PTWs years back) now all play with GBBRs only, thought it's a trend that's spreading to everyone, clearly I'm wrong.  

Guess I'm not one to follow trends then :)

I went GBBR when they first started coming out.  Are they fun?  Yes.  But I sold mine and am now back with AEGs.  GBB pistols are enough for me.  Don't like the prospect of hearing loss from something as silly as airsoft. 

I also happen to own an ARES (the stubby amoeba one) which I like a lot.  Out of the box, sure it wasn't that great.  Replaced the hop up, put some teflon tape here and there, now it shoots like a dream.  And it's lightweight.  If it does indeed turn out to be a huge pile of dog poo and breaks irreparably for no reason at all, I shall know better when looking for a replacement.  But so far, and bearing in mind my modest collection pales in comparison to some of the hoarders on here, it is one of the best AEGs I've owned and/or shot. 

TBH airports and construction site workers are required to wear hearing protections, nightclubs, not so much unless you're a security guard there. I have used GBBs that were loud enough to hurt after a few shots... but then it's not like active hearing protections are banned from airsoft games... 

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/dec/20/afghan-veterans-hearing-damage

Anything loud will damage your hearing in the end.

Unfortunately people are generally not informed, or willing to learn, of this.

It is a perception easily reinforced, due to people not noticing their hearing loss, since it is gradual, and due to some people being less prone to hearing loss than others.

The best thing you can do is keepy away from noisy places or wear the proper hearing protection.

Science aside, I know that if a noise makes my ears ring, it can't be good for them in the long run.  And my KJ m4 did make my ears ring.  Ridicule if you must, continue using GBBRs and listening to your music at max volume and what have you, but until you find conclusive proof that they aren't a risk, then you really have no foot to stand on.  One way you could be certain is to put a decibel meter in the position where your ear would be and fire off a few shots (please go do that to prove me wrong if I am indeed wrong).  I can't be bothered to do it myself since a) I don't have one of those, b ) I don't have a GBBR anymore, c) even if they did prove to be at a safe level in terms of sound, AEGs are much more practical, consistent, and cheaper to run, and d) I don't want to wear active hearing protection becuse of cost, comfort and a number of other things.  Also, we don't have pyros in Hong Kong.  Finally, a doctor won't be able to fix hearing loss. 

Science aside, I know that if a noise makes my ears ring, it can't be good for them in the long run.  And my KJ m4 did make my ears ring.  Ridicule if you must, continue using GBBRs and listening to your music at max volume and what have you, but until you find conclusive proof that they aren't a risk, then you really have no foot to stand on.

We're not saying that they're not a risk. What blobface said...

...hearing loss? Like how airsoft causes sight loss if you play without wearing glasses?

...is that you should wear appropriate protection for your environment. Airsoft would be very dangerous without eye protection, but eye protection is easy to get and to wear, so that's not a good reason not to play airsoft. GBBRs may damage your hearing without ear protection, but ear protection (a single foam earplug on the ear closest to the gun would probably suffice) is easy to get and to wear, so that's not a good reason to abandon GBBRs.

Archived