new grenades, mines and mortars!

Dr.Arnie

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see the son of Jean Claude Van Damme's speech trainer found a job. ;)

As for me the little launcher for a pistol looks like it could be fun, especially as a 'well if you wont take the double tap how about this' kind of shot.

'FireKnife'

Good to see some interesting stuff being semi-mass-marketed rather than having to custom build it.

I wonder if these grenades will take off, the most popular to date have been BFGs and those are fairly rare.

I also quite like the ris mounted mini launcher, but I'll wait to see the longjevity of it, and also the preformace before I rush out to buy one.

Mortar looks a lot better than the other one that shoots darted fins.

But a few things:

- 150m is basically like nothing really.  In artillery/mortars, an adjustment after call for fire can adjust between 20-500m and thats just for an adjustment.

- Where is the sights, and sighting poles?  I am guessing its basically a line of sight launcher, which kinda takes away the idea of Indirect fire support

- Does it quick disassemble into bipod/barrel/baseplate? It doesn't look like it.  How do you get it into position with the bipod legs flopping everywhere?

- Where is the cross level adjustment?

I wonder if these grenades will take off, the most popular to date have been BFGs and those are fairly rare.

bfg's were fairly uncommon a while ago but there's a healthy market - several brands competing.

Launchers cool but the grenades and mortar hmmm not so sure.

The Zoxna mortar reminds me of a homemade mortar developed by NepaAirsoft:

https://youtu.be/oIanbpRYCSQ

https://youtu.be/TkN8CN9ZBF4

I'm sure you can easily use the TAGinn shells and projectiles with the mortar. Also, the bipod can be optional. Before people start complaining about the lack of realism, there is actually a new hand-held mortar developed by the Czech Military Technical Institute VTU: http://www.popularairsoft.com/coming-soon-norsk-usas-ultralight-60mm-imortar

https://youtu.be/2vkHwLxhOgw

As for aiming, you could use a bubble level fixed to the barrel to measure angles, and translate them to distance after some testing.

article-2424043-1BE28E18000005DC-795_634

Well I have always said Apple products would drive people to kill.

Still the products do look a touch rough clearly these are not the final designs or at least I hope not.

Once they have been built up a bit better I will pass judgement on them, but for now nice to see some innovation that could potentially lead to a kick *albatross* product.

'FireKnife'

You aren't going to get much realism out of 150m engagement range, but a sighting system is a must even for something that fits an equivalent of an M203.

60mm mortars and other knee mortar designs are designed to be a mobile infantry-based fire support, deployed along with light infantry, for fire support during patrols and attacks.  Being light and mobile is its intention and if it has an indirect fire prediction and sighting system built in thats even better without screwing around with sighting poles and compass calibrations.

The ZOXNA bipoded mortar looks more like the 81mm, where the size is more suitable for emplaced mortar positions and mobile mortar detachments (crew served so to speak).  But being emplaced and bulky generally means it should have a range advantage. 

So my point is more along "what market is it targeting?" 

If you make a 60mm light mortar with 150m range and no bipod I can imagine it being instantly useful in airsoft.  It doesn't have to be perfectly realistic as it is basically a tube held up by a firer.

However a medium mortar, unless you have a range advantage, is not really practical in airsoft.  So the idea should be to create a medium mortar to be as realistic as possible, more for collectors rather than skirmishers.

While yes you can cook up an iPhone as a IFPSS and bubble leveler, the adjustment on the mortar legs is still required, otherwise you really can't aim the mortar.

And a quick disassembly function would be extremely helpful, particularly in from manpacking and then redeploying the mortar.

I would pay a good amount of money for a realistic mortar system, particularly an M252 replica :) Though commonwealth countries use the C2 sights on theirs. 

You aren't going to get much realism out of 150m engagement range, but a sighting system is a must even for something that fits an equivalent of an M203.

You're not gonna get much realism out of airsoft till you can get someone to call a hit at 300m+

Considering most AEGs have around 50-60 meters effective range, 150 meters for a mortar sounds fine, sure that's much less than a real mortar but then AEGs do much less than the 300-500 meters a real assault rifle does as skarclaw mentioned. Besides, quite a lot of airsoft sites are probably smaller than the effective range of a real medium mortar system.

Looking at the design I'm not sure you really could use it like an RPG. Even if you did it would just be a fast moving water balloon to the face, not fun but not terrible either. They have some really interesting ideas though some of them do seem a bit wacky, the micro launcher looks golden though. I think I'm most dubious about the heavy case impact grenade, given that heavy case pyro get banned from time to time at sites due to some people being morons this sounds like asking for trouble. With mortars I've thought for a while the best option would be fin stabilised chalk marker rounds, reasonably light but able to drop through some tree cover and without running into the legality or accuracy issues proper pyro rounds do.

Aren't most outdoor sites mostly woodland which would make use of a mortar limited at best? Also how long will it be before someone decides to try and use it like an RPG

We already use mortars in a lot of games inc. woodland to throw smokes. These products would be fine at the sites I play at and excellent for more tac games like WW2. Would need to see if it could throw more than a water balloon though.

Hmm the grenade, mine, multipurpose grenade, and the pistol launcher all look rather interesting, especially the mine. Could see me having fun with a couple of those at Crail or The Fortress, especially as I'm a devious *bramston pickle* and will hang the mine over doors.  :)

Mechanical timing will always have some consistency issues. The inertial trigger looks overly simplistic for it to actually deliver a strong enough blast (will wait for actual test footage). Tripwire, well, if somebody gets fragged in the woods with nobody around there's no telling if they'll call themselves out or not.

Archived