Technical Q: A&K M249 Hop Up upgrade

ECRRRainman

Our P*ed Mk46 still does not feed with the ballpoint mod. Might be due to the fact that I have lost the proprietary bucking and standard buckings are not even close to a good fit. I'll probably receive the AirsoftPro hop unit somewhere this week, hopefully it will work. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Received the AirsoftPro chamber today. Somewhat disappointed that it still has a vertical nub but whatever, at least our Mk46 fires bb's again. Currently don't have the space to assess max effective range but just the fact that it works again puts a smile on my face :)

I installed my BullGear hop up yesterday and thankfully it fit nice and snug with no rotating like my original hop up chamber did.

0418151606_zpszythsjvp.jpg

0418151606a_zps7p0mc87v.jpg

Three minor issues I had to work through. First was the new chamber didn't come with an O ring that holds the rotation wheel in place. I had to use the O ring from the original chamber, not a big problem.

Second was once I installed the new barrel and bucking into the hop up I could not get the pin that holds the nub arm in place out. I ended up having to remove the barrel and slide the nub through the chamber and fall into the window. Now a normal nub may have been able to squeeze into the arm when the barrel and bucking was installed but I was putting in a maple leaf concave spacer and it was too "tall" to just squeeze in since the arm only lifted so high.

The third hicup I had was installing the outer barrel. This hop up chamber is slightly thicker than the original chamber and I had to push hard on the outer barrel to get it to travel the last half inch and lock in place. I'm willing to bet that after a few installs and removals the hop up chamber will have some material shaved off and fit smoothly.

I have not yet shot it to see if everything feeds properly but I should be able to check feeding and range reports soon.

• 5 weeks later...

Really waiting for feeding tests. I have CA Knight's LMG which has same CA m249 Hop-chamber. I wanted something that could shoot heavy bbs with decent lift. Like my RPK does with Systema bucking.

Does this BullGear chamber take regular AEG bukings, or some special ones?

Does AnK chamber is the same as CA m249 chamber?

Well I can tell you my a&k feeds just fine with the new hop up chamber, I just cannot comment on accuracy or range yet since I lack the space to test fire at any distance

Yes it uses regular buckings

The a&k and CA M249 hop up chamber are the exact same design and are interchangable. The CA hop up is just a better quality

Just fitted an AirsoftPro hop into my A&K 249. As with ECRRRainman, I can't comment on range and accuracy but feed is fine. Worth mentioning that with the AP chamber, alignment of the unit is a *badgeress* as it's a case of 3 grub screws holding it to the barrel - hopefully on Sunday evening I'll be able to feed back some range / accuracy results.

I find that everytime I unmount and remount the barrel, the accuracy, namely the hop trajectory is affected.

On further study it turns out the way the hop unit pushes against the mechbox affects the inner barrel alignment.  This is evident on the both the M60 and M249s.

Is it possible your hop up unit is rotating inside the gun once installed?

My original hop up was able to rotate about 15 degrees or so counterclockwise when fully installed. This would certainly affect hop up trajectory.

I recently picked up M249 and PKM hopup units from Bullgear. Installed the PKM unit today.

I installed a Prometheus purple/soft bucking and a stock King Arms 560mm inner barrel into the hopup unit without problem, but I did have a minor issue installing the assembly into the outer barrel. Just needed a couple minutes of minor filing inside the outer barrel to get rid of some burrs. Once installed, it sealed perfectly with the SHS M4 air nozzle in my PKM. Gun chrono's an average of 395 fps with .20 bbs.

Using .25 and .28 Elite Force bbs, it was hitting targets around 200 feet, measured with Google Maps. I did see some bbs going further than that, but I wasn't able to tell how much further. It did have a spread of around 5 feet at max range, which I suspect would probably tighten up with a good tightbore barrel. But since it's an MG, I don't need pin-point accuracy.

Looking forward to see if I'll get similar results in my M249.

• 1 month later...

On the subject of the AirsoftPro unit, this is the verdict so far, upon it's first fielding yesterday:

The good is that the range was much better - I'd estimate (remember this is airsoft estimates) another good 10m of flight on top of what it was doing before before tailing off.

However this came at a price of roughly 100fps. I had someone else double check the fitment of the rubber and they said it all looked spot on (as I suspected) - however it's not all doom and gloom.

The unit comes with a second air nozzle, specifically for the A&K which was recommended but apparently not essential - I didn't install it, again, mainly down to time constraints around moving house recently and maybe a little laziness on my part. I'm aiming to get this in place by the middle of next month, so I'll do a chrono reading and report back.

Initial impressions are that it does increase the range though - and quite significantly, given the power drop.

Other thing of note is that fitment was a *badgeress*. It's held on by 3 grub screws to the barrel - fantastic once fitted, but getting it dead straight was a bit of a pain.

Hop rubber is a maple leaf style rubber, but the nub is still a vertical one. Finish of the unit appears superb and adjustment is easy enough to do.

Hope this helps - like I said, I'll try to fit the new nozzle when I get a chance and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update - I fitted the replacement nozzle, but it didn't bring a lot of power back to the table.

Therefore, I'm continuing my 249 hop related experiments with the bullgear one, that I should be able to fit / chrono next week. As for when I'll be able to use it in game, no idea - hopefully in the next month at some point.

I believe ECRRRainman had the Bullgear unit installed in his SAW at OP Homeland. While I know he listed some minor issues installing it, I'm pretty sure it ran fine at the event.

I've got one of the Bullgear M249 units waiting to be installed into my personal M249. I'll post up if there are any issues.

My bullgear hop up Fed flawlessly at OP Homeland for several thousand round myself and a teammate pumped through it.

The only trouble I had with installation was I couldn't remove the hinge pin for the nub arm and had to drop the nub into the arm through the chamber itself and reinstalling the outer barrel was very snug and required some elbow grease to get the outer barrel to lock in.

Other than that it was a pretty easy swap and I'm happy with it

Having just fitted the Bullgear unit to my 249, I thought I'd post the power results to reiterate just how bad the airseal leak is with the AirsoftPro unit.

Chronoed on a ASG .23 (as I had no .20 ammo to hand). Both results are with no hop and are taken over a mean average of 5 shots.

Airsoft Pro = 195fps

Bullgear = 326fps

In the interest of full disclosure. I'm still using the Maple style rubber that came with the AirsoftPro unit. In addition to this, I've fitted the Bullgear unit with a TM nub, since it places the nub in a 'standard' method. The AirsoftPro nozzle is still in place, since I can't be bothered to open up the gearbox unless I have to.

I can't comment on range at the moment, but I'll try to get back to you with results when I can. Unfortunately I may not get a chance till the NAE this year as the next month is busy for me.

Let's briefly discuss fitting the Bullgear unit. As ECRRRainman mentioned, you can't get the hingepin out - and the nub has to be inserted from within the hop unit before fitting the barrel. Not the end of the world, but a bit fiddly.

O-Ring for the dial has to be taken from the A&K unit, since the Bullgear doesn't come with one. Again, this was mentioned previously.

In contrast to ECRRRainman, I had no issues fitting the outer barrel - for me, it was smooth as butter. There is no movement from the hop once the outer is in place.

However getting the inner barrel and the U clamp to lock in was a pain. For me, this involved wrapping the unit with old ammo bags and applying a few gentle taps with a hammer. Obviously this was done with great care, since I don't want to write off a £60 hop unit.

At this point I'd welcome hearing other results of the AirsoftPro unit - despite having my fitment checked by two people, neither of which could find a problem, I do wonder if I had a duff unit.  A 131fps change between the two units does seem pretty shocking.

That is a significant airseal loss, indeed.

I ran my Classic Army Minimi this weekend. If any of you can't afford to throw down the cash for a BullGear hopup, I recommend the Classic Army unit. With very little modification (teflon tape on the hop rubber, bic pen hopup nub mod), I'm getting excellent results. On a M120 spring, I'm pushing 345-350 fps with 0.25g bbs. With minimal (<1 ft max ord) over-hop and no hold-over, I've got an effective range of 210 ft point target/230 ft area target (verified with Google Earth).

With an M120 (A&K MK46 / Guarder 6.02 / Blue Madbull Ruber / Small ORing in the back of the chamber) and classic army hop (airsoftpro nozzle and a few mods) i am getting 390-400 fps (G&G 0.20 gr)...with the airsoftpro chamber +/- 80 fps less and a destroyed barrel (rotation is present btw)...

You need to mod the hop up support to eliminate the rotation (both CA and airsoftpro)..but it is possible.

Still i am not happy with the precision at maximun range (1.5 meters or so of dispersion at around +60-65 meters / 0.25 *suitcase* ammo i have to admit)...i will try a new madbull 6.01 barrel and report back (with a blue madbull rubber and the bic pen hop up mod).

Archived