Travis Haley's Take on Airsoft and Real Steel

aznriptide859

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hehe, well considering most of his profits are from the airsoft community, he knows how to bridge the two and keep them separate :).

Apparently costa lost some reputation/fans after the Japan thing with Airsoft, cause he "likes it now" as opposed to previously.

Well, there have been other gun celebrities that said otherwise like say Larue.

Mark Larue just has an issue with airsoft because of the blatant cloning of his designs. If he had been approached first for a licensing thing ala magpul he may have been more supportive but based on the amount of people attempting to destroy his income with clones and I.P theft I can see why he has issues with airsoft. Airsoft has its place alongside RS for the purpose of training but it does have limitations. Allot of the RS community hate on airsoft because they don't see the point of it when you could 'buy a real gun' and they look down on it because of the kids toy aspect and the 'playing soldier as an adult means you haven't grown up'.

Yet for some reason paintball is fine and dandy.

Some especially in the American community see any sort of playing at soldier as somehow 'disrespectful' or 'stealing valor' or whatever it is. Plus of.course they see kids with airsoft guns as a treat to their own hobbies with the recent police shootings and have quite happily thrown airsofters under the bus to protect their guns crying out there isn't a need for realistic toy guns.

The divide is stupid and we should all work together to protect both airsoft and RS because otherwise we will lose both.

The increased amount of Licensed guns and accessories and the increased amount of common RS pistols being made as GBB guns will help as more and more RS shooters look to airsoft as a cost effective augmentation to a good dry fire/draw skills regime. The skillset of.draw and fire is the same and unlike a SIRT or similar device doesn't need recocking every shot and also can provide target based feedback (either noise or holes in paper) for less than the cost of a case of practice ammo.

Fact is, he's an intelligent man with the common sense to realise that tarring an entire community or hobby with the same brush is an ignorant thing to do.  Ironically, that's a quality missing amongst a lot of airsofters who like to bash on other airsofters just because they like a different camo or whatever.

The comments on this video over on SSD and Funker530 are pretty interesting reading.

RS shooters HATE AS shooters with a destructive passion. When I mention I shoot RS as well as AS they get even more offensive.

I go through life being abused for pretty much everything I've ever done, humans are good at hating and rubbish at acceptance or reasonable thought.

RS shooters HATE AS shooters with a destructive passion. When I mention I shoot RS as well as AS they get even more offensive.

Well no, they don't.  That is a factually incorrect generalisation and not only is it unhelpful but you're displaying exactly the same negative quality that you're claiming to be against.

Some of them do, sure, but this very thread contains video evidence of at least one that doesn't and if you go read the comments threads on the sites I mentioned you'll find yet more evidence that's contrary to your statement.  I've had plenty of abuse on youtube from US and UK civilian shooters just because I like airsoft, but to be honest it was far more frequent a couple of years back and I hardly ever get them these days (comparatively).  On the flip side I've had plenty of positive comments and interactions etc on YT/facebook/instagram from firearms enthusiasts; far more than negative these days.

I think the internet amplifies this. I don't consider airsoft a shooting sport but of course there will be crossover. I figure that airsofters are more likely to enjoy RS stuff then the rest of the population and RS peeps would enjoy airsoft more than the rest as well but eh.

Its not an exclusive problem either. For example bodybuilding, powerlifting,weightlifting, strongman and crossfit. People on the internet (never in real life) will argue that *suitcase* all day.

Ultimately airofters can do some stupid *suitcase* but so far no range deaths - accidental or otherwise!

edit: I think airsofters put certain types on a pedestal. Its 'beta' behaviour and is unbecoming. If someone is an *albatross*, tell em to *fruitcage* off! (Including me haha) I literally don't give a *suitcase*. Being in delta force is not the pinnacle of human achievement.

-snip-

You're right, of course, but I've never had a positive comment from an RS shooter.

In my area all of the RS shooters are so defensive about their sport that it is ingrained in them to separate them from anything that isn't exactly what they are so that they can separate themselves from the BS that the media spits out about guns every damn week.

Of the RS shooters that I shoot with, they all urge me to stop playing AS, as it's just not proper and "will get me arrested".

I would love to find a better group of people, I'm bored of shooting bits of paper from prone.

Not really. They're trying to hammer down a nail that sticks up because they're terrified that the existence of airsoft will somehow affect them as paper punching fudds.

Exactly, I'd hate for their club to disband, because if it does the tweed market will collapse!

What if you wore tweeds for airsoft? It's nearly ATACs and that may "camouflage" your potentially nefarious intentions.

I used to really like the idea of wearing tweed to an airsoft game, scratch build a u/o with maruzen shells and do it up so that it shoots 10 BBs at ~350fps.

But then I met these people and I've gone off the whole thing.

Add to the fact that I don't have any time or money any more, I barely get to play airsoft these days, let alone go and shoot RS.

When the whole RS vs Airsoft thing comes up I cant help but think

'but you can't shoot people with RS without prision, years of therapy or the risk of someone firing back' 

I shoot RS a lot but it is no comparison with airsoft, well skirmishing anyway. 

Archived