G&G GMG-42

renegadecow

I'm going off topic but this information may be useful to you and others. The 98k I worked on ended up shooting at a consistent 400fps at .30g bbs in the end, but it really was a lot of work. For starters when the valve knocker mushrooms out enough it impedes movement which affects consistency. I had to temper the back end of it as it kept getting whacked out of shape by the striker within 20 shots. Then I had to literally overhaul every single seal in the mags with proper o-rings as G&G thought it was good enough to use black colored rubber bands instead. The entire bolt assembly was degreased as even the gas route had lubricant in it which fouled up the hop. Lastly I had to convert it to use green gas. CO2 performance was just horrible due to having three bottle necks in the mag plus those 8g powerlets aren't easy to find locally. The last bottle neck which is actually a restrictor can be removed but it still needs a good 3-5 second pause between shots for the expansion chamber to fill up properly or you get anywhere from 250 to 400fps.

Thanks, I don't think I have the skills to make one workable, so you just saved me a fair bit of money and frustration!  :)

I'm going off topic but this information may be useful to you and others. The 98k I worked on ended up shooting at a consistent 400fps at .30g bbs in the end, but it really was a lot of work. For starters when the valve knocker mushrooms out enough it impedes movement which affects consistency. I had to temper the back end of it as it kept getting whacked out of shape by the striker within 20 shots. Then I had to literally overhaul every single seal in the mags with proper o-rings as G&G thought it was good enough to use black colored rubber bands instead. The entire bolt assembly was degreased as even the gas route had lubricant in it which fouled up the hop. Lastly I had to convert it to use green gas. CO2 performance was just horrible due to having three bottle necks in the mag plus those 8g powerlets aren't easy to find locally. The last bottle neck which is actually a restrictor can be removed but it still needs a good 3-5 second pause between shots for the expansion chamber to fill up properly or you get anywhere from 250 to 400fps.

Yeah I did the same thing on the M1903.  I clipped the gas release spring for green gas, and got it shooting 480fps on 0.25g, changed the O-rings, bored out all the bottle necks to increase vaporisation, in the end two things made me get rid of it.  The receiver was getting worn from the steel bolt, and the inaccuracy.  It was 9/10 ok, cool down played a big thing as the first few shots would hop high, and subsequent shots then shot straight, but the issue was random hooking to the right, and the fact the hop rubber is so far from the feeder nozzle it would cause unpredictable hop up, it was bound to be inaccurate.

This gun is a perfect example what is wrong with the INDUSTRY, a decent gun no doubt but ZERO market study and feedback from customers.

No1 wants to pay for "useless" details like that.

Similar cases are seen in video-gaming industry quite a lot. I'm part of quite few gaming start-ups as an investor and quite often I have to ask the lead developer "is this what fans or customers want or is this what you want?"

Feels like someone just wanted this and no1 had the cohones to say, "think about it"

The ACM is made of horribly thin and flimsy aluminium. So thin you can actually bend the receiver by hand without much force.

The Shoei is also made of aluminium, but at least it's much thicker and more solid.

A full steel (if it is in fact full steel) G&G MG42 that's slightly cheaper than the Shoei sounds good in my book. I will probably get it to replace the ACM as the AEG in my MG collection.

The price does not surprise me. I shelled out $2000 on an Ultima MG42 aeons ago (Shoei body, gearbox manufactured by Echigoya) - and technically it was *far* cruder than G&G's effort is. I'm just glad I flogged my Ultima before the cheapo Chinese ones came out!

The price does not surprise me. I shelled out $2000 on an Ultima MG42 aeons ago (Shoei body, gearbox manufactured by Echigoya) - and technically it was *far* cruder than G&G's effort is. I'm just glad I flogged my Ultima before the cheapo Chinese ones came out!

A big part of it is the market. As the sport has grown more popular, higher production runs allow manufacturers to turn a profit at a much lower unit price. G&G seemed to have mastered this with their Combat Machine series, yet here they are thinking what people really want is a niche gun that costs four times more than its direct competitors. Even if it turns out to be excellent manufacturing quality and performs great out of the box, it'll still be ridiculously expensive for what it is.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to see an mg3 kit but I'd never be able to justify that kind of money. I kind of want a support weapon but I don't want the 249. I want something a bit different.

I'd love a bren but the prize of that zb is so silly it's unaffordable same for the 1919.

Not so dear sir -  Czech Bren (ZB), used by Allies and Axis in WW2 and 90% Bren for about £300 with shipping and tax http://www.evike.com/products/47932 

• 1 month later...

Archived