Desert Tech bullpup sniper rifle (spring)

mimesis

I'd be a really bad person to do a real review for spring guns as I have very little experience with spring guns in general, there's little I can add that reviews from Redwolf / Khanseb hasn't mentioned. The one thing I could say is that changing spring was very easy, but then SilverBack made an official video tutorial to show us how to do that. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

One of the guys on the FB Silverback group posted some photos from IWA 2016 of the prototype pull-to-cock bolt. He reports a number of other improvements / changes:-

• Revised bolt handle design is welded rather than screwed.
  • They will be slightly changing the body tolerances. Less mag catch wobble, magazine locks in easier, mag insertion / removal improved.
  • Stiffer trigger rod material and Improved sear quality control to hopefully remove issues with bolts not latching or the safety not working.
  • Possibly changing the air nozzle from brass to steel (some customers managed to damage the brass nozzle inserting the barrel).
  • New finish finish for Hop Up unit for <1000 serials numbers.

New stuff:

• The matching silencer will be released shortly
  • Pull-to-cock cocking system.

The writer reported that with a 3J VSR spring installed in a pull-to-cock bolt it was much easier to cock than his 2,5J push-to-cock bolt. However he did also say the last section of bolt travel on the new system was tricky/difficult to cock as his hand was already really close to his shoulder.

The new bolt should be a direct drop in replacement for the push bolt. It isn't yet clear when these improvements will hit production / retailers or after which serial number they will appear.

• 3 months later...

Following a recent question on Silverback's Facebook page about producing replicas of the real version larger 10 round "Sport" magazines they responded:

"thank you for asking, it's on our 'to do list' but not release date yet"

So a larger mag like this could be on the cards...

SaqYbao.jpg

EDIT: Interestingly, as I hadn't really looked at a real SRS, You can see that the new monolithic bolt head is a direct copy of the real version.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my 26" SRS out for the first time yesterday afternoon. First minor issue. No grub screws in the hop chamber! Doh!. Hadn't been able to test it until yesterday so hadn't even noticed ;). Had to pinch the couple out of the spare 16" barrel I had with me. Was pleasantly surprised how quickly it adjusted having heard horror stories about adjusting twin arm hops. Took it out for my first game with it. First impressions. It's a fair bit heavier than my VSR. The pull bolt isn't too bad but the closeness to the shoulder makes it challenging to cock for the longer armed. You just dont have the pull that close in to your shoulder. Need to start on the weights maybe ;) also more stock pads are in order I think. Considering, in my possession, it has only had 30 or so rounds through it didn't perform too badly. Capable of over-hopping Proball 0.43s. It shot satisfyingly accurately and I was picking off people happily at around the 70m mark. It isn't as ranged or accurate as my VSR... yet. It has the stock barrel and I am guessing the stock hop rubber. With the 13mm PDI 250FPS spring I had trimmed down (the stock pull bolt spring was hitting 440fps) it was firing at around 498fps pretty consistently. Need to sort the mag release. Sometimes I couldn't get mags in as the release seemed stuck inwards preventing insertion and, when released, mags didn't drop out. But that is just minor fettling. Rather happy with it otherwise. Looking forward to taking it out again :)

Nice! I still haven't tested mine, wonder how well the gun holds zero after dissembling by the barrel for shorter transport.

FYI I just placed an order for the Mancraft SDiK for the SRS, will keep you all updated, looking to run it with a somewhat unconventional CO2 system (95g disposable cartridge with aquatic regulator)..  

Archived