GHK AUG GBBR

bankz5152

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that's why I was hoping it to be a new gun instead of a "kit" like the T was, also means dissembly etc would be more realistic, GHK's been quiet for a while as far as new product goes since the M4 so hopefully this is what they've been cooking. 

It'd be silly for them to not use their existing magazines, but that being said, the only model of AUG that exist which uses stanag mags is some obscure civilian US clone, so hopefully they will just release plastic sleeves for the M4 mags that make it look similar to the AUG waffles, not sure how feasible as the current wall thickness of M4 mag shells are quite thin. 

Yeah that's why I was hoping it to be a new gun instead of a "kit" like the T was, also means dissembly etc would be more realistic, GHK's been quiet for a while as far as new product goes since the M4 so hopefully this is what they've been cooking. 

It'd be silly for them to not use their existing magazines, but that being said, the only model of AUG that exist which uses stanag mags is some obscure civilian US clone, so hopefully they will just release plastic sleeves for the M4 mags that make it look similar to the AUG waffles, not sure how feasible as the current wall thickness of M4 mag shells are quite thin. 

TBH be smart for them to release a new set of mags, that way they can milk money. However, I wouldn't even second guess my self in buying one if they did that.. 

The amount of money I spent on CO2/GG mags = sadface.

TBH be smart for them to release a new set of mags, that way they can milk money. However, I wouldn't even second guess my self in buying one if they did that.. 

I don't reckon there's much top milk in the airsoft industry.  Yeah they'd make some money selling proprietary mags, but they'd almost certainly sell a lot less of the guns themselves due to that proprietary magazine vs using their STANAGs.  Some of the people buying the STANAG AUG due to the compatibility with their current mag collection would also probably pickup another one or two of said STANAGs since they'd be using that set across multiple guns.

But they might also loose out on sales to new purchasers who dont own ghk stanags who might an AUG and not an MSAR. Thats the one you were thinking of blobface.

Personally I would rather have a proper AUG with proper magazines. I dont own a ghk M4 or a g5, nor do I plan to, so for me this would need all its own mags anyway.

But they might also loose out on sales to new purchasers who dont own ghk stanags who might an AUG and not an MSAR.

Well yes, that's sort of taken as read, but that implies that the priority for most people is small details rather than cost.  Look at 99% of the airsoft guns sold these days and you'd probably come to the conclusion the market cares about low price much more than they do aesthetic details I reckon.

Obviously there's no way to prove it either way, but from what I see in the airsoft world in general that's just my feeling.

FYI, there's a factory Steyr AUG that takes STANAG magazines; it's called the AUG A3 SA NATO:

AugA3.jpg

I'd be pretty surprised if GHK release this and it isn't somehow compatible with STANAGs (maybe with some kind of adapter?) because they've already demonstrated they'll bend the rules to make guns compatible with magazines they shouldn't, technically speaking, be able to use - e.g. AFAIK all their '5.45x39mm' guns will accept '7.62x39mm' magazines, and vice versa.

I'll agree to disagree on the comments on the Tavor, don't want to go off topic/get into an argument over it. :)

I guess one thing GHK could do is make a new shell for the G5/M4 mags. There's no reason they couldn't make a sleeve that the mag internals bolt into and it seems the simplest way of getting that classic AUG look, plus it retains the magazines excellent gas efficiency.

AUG mags are more similar to the HK416 magazines than PMAG or standard mags.  But they fit into the M4 pouches all the same.

I have never been happy about GHK even though their M4s and their G5s have been impressive, though...

GHK track record has been:

+ Feels great out of the box, functions great.

- Parts break, aftermarket parts break

- Mags leak over time and hard to fix

- Default power is low, cannot be modified for higher power

- Accuracy is so-so, but can't be improved.

- Mags expensive $50US each

- complex design, flimsy internals

- kick is weak, except for G5 and M4

WE on the other hand:

+ Functions so-so

- Accuracy is poor without mods

+ Accuracy is fantastic after mods

- Mags leak, aside from V1 M4 mags, all other mags are fixed once off and will hold gas indefinately

+ Mags cheaper $30-45 USD

- Default power is high (360-450)  and can be modded for higher or lower (good for multi-role)

- Simple design, flimsy internals, easy to service.

+ Kick is good, except PDW.

I would rather WE make the Steyr AUG, but until GHK comes out with it and mags aren't $50 each, we will have to see...

You must use different GHK to me - ok mine are a G5 and a Hephaestus Tar-21, but default power on the former was towards the limits for the UK, the latter far too high (~340 and 420 fps on 0.20g), accuracy was great from the get-go and as the barrel and hop are AEG, easy to try other options to improve if you need.  Mags do, like most gas, leak over time, but the G5/M4 ones are very easy to fix.

You must use different GHK to me - ok mine are a G5 and a Hephaestus Tar-21, but default power on the former was towards the limits for the UK, the latter far too high (~340 and 420 fps on 0.20g), accuracy was great from the get-go and as the barrel and hop are AEG, easy to try other options to improve if you need.  Mags do, like most gas, leak over time, but the G5/M4 ones are very easy to fix.

Not everyone skirmishes in the same conditions.

My teams skirmish frequently between 400-500fps, but low and real capacity only except MGs.  Even in CQB.  There is no one who complains as no one gets spammed, and given the fields we play requires power to penetrate foliage.

For the G5, the barrel length is about the same as a 10" CQBR, and I have had CQBRs shooting 450fps. Hephaetus doesn't really count as a GHK build.

The biggest problem is the AEG hop on a GBB.  AEG hops aren't designed for exposure to the lubrication within the gas, and over 100-150 rounds the hop up will loose effectiveness, whereas a VSR hopped GBBR has no such problems, as it has a higher surface area.  This is why "VSR" hop rubber should be standard across GBBs.  VSR hop rubbers also work better in rain/amphibious situations. 

I fix a lot of GBBRs, and GHK AKs and G5 all have the gunking issues.  The mag leakage issues is ongoing, not only are they harder to open up with more parts they don't stay fixed.  WE mags to most part, if left unlubricated and gassed in storage, will hold onto gas indefinitely.

Can't see that happening. An AUG mag and an AR magazine are rather different in shape - the AUG magazine tapers towards the front, the AR mag does not.

There's that guy from Japan who custom fitted an old WE "closed bolt" system into an AUG AEG shell, magazine and all. Was a tough fit, as you say the front part is tapered, but it went in.

Not everyone skirmishes in the same conditions.

My teams skirmish frequently between 400-500fps, but low and real capacity only except MGs.  Even in CQB.  There is no one who complains as no one gets spammed, and given the fields we play requires power to penetrate foliage.

For the G5, the barrel length is about the same as a 10" CQBR, and I have had CQBRs shooting 450fps. Hephaetus doesn't really count as a GHK build.

The biggest problem is the AEG hop on a GBB.  AEG hops aren't designed for exposure to the lubrication within the gas, and over 100-150 rounds the hop up will loose effectiveness, whereas a VSR hopped GBBR has no such problems, as it has a higher surface area.  This is why "VSR" hop rubber should be standard across GBBs.  VSR hop rubbers also work better in rain/amphibious situations. 

I fix a lot of GBBRs, and GHK AKs and G5 all have the gunking issues.  The mag leakage issues is ongoing, not only are they harder to open up with more parts they don't stay fixed.  WE mags to most part, if left unlubricated and gassed in storage, will hold onto gas indefinitely.

Hmm, I don't have any of these problems with my 13 GHK's ( 6 AK's, 3 M4's, 2 T21's, G5 and PDW).  Mags do eventually leak but are so easy to fix and the most efficient out of the box hence no aftermarket valves available for them.  The hop unit is among the best I have ever seen out of the box and my hop will not become unstable after 100-200 rounds.  I will agree that it is not easy to increase FPS over 500FPS b/c the nozzles can't come apart for modification.  But with that said, 450FPS gets me past 250ft effective range (man sized target) so I really have no complaints at range.

This type of conversation happens all the time in airsoft and just about every hobby.  One person's experience doesn't reflect other people's experiences which leads to arguments, pissing matches, flame wars, etc.  I'm sure there are many people that will disagree with my statement that the WE ACR is utter ...but that is what my experience with a couple ACR's has shown to me.

Regardless of manufacturer, I am extremely happy that someone "appears" to be finally making an AUG!

I have similar experiences with my GHK AK and Heph T21. After 3-4 mags I have to increase hop-up to get the same spin. The hop-up doesn't misadjust and Im either using propane or CO2 to minimize the chance of silicone oil on the rubber and yet it still happens. I do wish if there was an option for a VSR type hop-up chamber.

Since switching out the bucking on my G5 to a maple leaf hybrid 70 degree hop bucking, I've not had an issue with over lubrication from silicone additives in green gas. Propane never gave this issue, however the smell is horrendous and I can't stand it!

The hybrid bucking features a larger contact area with the bb than a regular AEG bucking, however is compatible with AEG barrels. Some barrels may need the hop window to be modified slightly to get the best outcome.

Since switching out the bucking on my G5 to a maple leaf hybrid 70 degree hop bucking, I've not had an issue with over lubrication from silicone additives in green gas. Propane never gave this issue, however the smell is horrendous and I can't stand it!

The hybrid bucking features a larger contact area with the bb than a regular AEG bucking, however is compatible with AEG barrels. Some barrels may need the hop window to be modified slightly to get the best outcome.

I have the Hybrid bucking on an ARES SLR, using a modified AEG barrel with the VSR window and cut.  Shoots well, but dunno how it would work with a GBB, good to know it works on the G5 I don't have to bore out the hop unit for a VSR hop like on the VFC MP5s etc.

Archived