BO MTO Phantom - Magnetic AEG

PureSilver

Spotted this on Popular Airsoft and a few other places in various European languages; it's apparently an electro-magnetic system. BO are claiming this to be patented and built in France with a release date sometime in 2016. The gun has no gears and no motor; they're touting:

• Near instant-trigger response.
  • Extremely quiet operation.
  • One million round guarantee.
  • A battery life of one week.

As usual details are thin on the ground, but if you'd like to see a horrible demonstration of repeated jumping camera cuts, watch 0,20 magazine's teaser trailer:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking through this and I'm increasingly convinced this has to be an HPA system, and the 'electromagnetic' system actually means 'there is a solenoid in it'. There is simply not enough energy in any conventional battery to propel a week's worth of BBs; a typical 1500mAh 7.4v LiPo contains ~40,000J and shoots a maximum of 2,000rds at around 1.1J before being depleted (40,000J input for 2,200J output; that's pretty horrible efficiency, now that I think about it). Even assuming the gun's efficiency is markedly better, there's just no way you're shooting 15,000rds at 1.1J from a single battery using electromagnets.

I have a depressing feeling that all the keywords here - quiet, no gears or motor, rapid trigger response, capable of 1m rounds - are all words used to describe a Polar* FE...

Kinda sad they think ADHD cuts, fake panoramic NVDs, and a mere mentioning of "black ops" will actually impress anyone.

While signs point to some kind of solenoid driven HPA system, it could still be one fat solenoid piston juiced by really big capacitors doing the work and the one week battery life they mentioned could mean it has horrible self discharge rates that it's drained itself inoperable after that time.

I like how theres an article on popular airsoft about how this will be the biggest thing to happen since the Tokyo Marui AEG in 1991. Based entirely on that video... which showed nothing.

If thats all it takes to drum up that kind of hype, I should just say that Ive invented an airsoft gun that has no parts at all and works on the principle of vaccuums. And my teaser video will just be me playing Call of duty.

Archived