Not sure if this is news but an air soft injury.

paranoiddroid

This was posted on a fb group my boy is on.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/138616752818574/permalink/1248409871839251/

A lad hit in the eye with a 400fps sniper rifle in the safe zone, no news as yet about how or what happened exactly if I find out more I will update it.

He has lost the eye and will be undergoing surgery.

Wow, that's horrible. Poor kid.

Now he has to go through the rest of his life with an eye missing because someone didn't follow the *fruitcage* EASY TO FOLLOW basic firearm safety rules.

Accidents happen, but if you're a negligent buffoon you shouldn't be handling any form of gun, not even a nerf.

If I ever say to people (and I don't bother 99.9% of the time) "don't flag me please" it's like watching a 13 year old having the biggest, stupidest temper tantrum.

OMG ITS UNLOADED ITS ONLY A BB GUN CHILL OUT MAN YOU NEED TO CALM DOWN OMG WTF I WASNT POINTING AT YOU ANYWAY

25939197111_817df965d4.jpg

Guarantee I'll still have people reading this thinking they're infallible and couldn't ever possibly *fruitcage* up and bring a loaded weapon back in the SZ.

Only time I look down my barrels is if I know it's safe.

My gas guns, that's easy, take the upper off no bolt.

An aeg, pull the barrel out easy.

Basr, can't do that easy and you shouldn't.

Gas sniper put a flashlight at the end look in the breach.

Still this sounds sketchy to me.

Horrible, but this is why everyone should take weapons safety completely seriously at all times. As CKinnerley says, some people act damned stupid with airsoft replicas (as with anything that has an element of risk), airsoft sites need to operate a zero tollerance attitude toward general dicking around. Your airsoft replicas are only loaded when you're in the field, during play, or when you're getting chronoed or zeroing aim. You point you guns at people when you're in game, in the field, not in the safe zone "for a joke" because that's exactly when things go wrong. The sites I go to all conduct visual checks to make sure people have removed all magazines from all guns before they're allowed back into the safe zone. I'd say maybe age and inexperience were a factor in this but I've seen mature, seasoned players pull some really stupid stuff too, it's not always 14 year olds not listening to the safety brief then wandering into the safe zone with a loaded rental AEG (though obviously that does happen).

Precisely.

End of the day, the mags-removed checked only actually works for GBBRs.  As we know, spring and electric guns (which easily make up 90% of what's used at games) are still perfectly capable of holding a BB in the hop and firing it off without their magazines.  If people could learnt to not flag others in the SZ, the issue would be almost entirely mitigated minus the odd mega-freak ricochet.  The only other step I can think of is to have marshals check and watch people fire their guns after removing mags, maybe start enforcing eye pro at all times.

I genuinely hate to even make such suggestions because it panders (with the exception of faulty guns) to the idiotic at the expense of the competent which is definitely one of my biggest hates, but I'd take it vs too many people losing eyes and airsoft having even more politicians go after it.  Actually I think the paintball style barrel covers they have at some places in the states would be a good idea, much easier to enforce since they're very clearly visible and definitely goes a very long way to negate the risk.  Everyone fits them, takes them off as they come out of the SZ and stuff it in a pouch/pocket, goes back on before re-entering.  Weighs almost nothing, cost a couple of quid tops.

Mag out fire in safe direction as you enter safezone. Don’t ever point gun of any sort at something you don’t want to shoot. Simple.

Throw in dehydration, blood sugar lows, recent adrenaline come down, annoyance at other players, over excitement and simple goes out the window.

I think I'll pick up a pair of glasses for safe zone use.

Never look down the muzzle end of a barrel. EVER.

If you need to check it for any reason, you look down the breach end.

If it was the boy shooting himself by looking down the barrel, then it's still a massive breach of firearm safety. He should have been taught it, drilled it. Firearm safety is a MUST, it is word one of using guns.

From what I have heard about this incident from a friend who told me about it a day or 2 ago, this was a group of lads all similar age who were either mucking about in the safe zone pointing guns at each other or it was self inflicted. He was flown by air ambulance to hospital IIRC. And while terrible it has happened it sounds like this wasn't the marshaling team failing to do their role which is good at leaat.

I wouldn't say never. There are cases even in real steel where it is required for inspection of proper function. I'd say never look down the muzzle of a barrel when it has not been rendered inert.

Yep, I look down the muzzle end of rifle barrels every day of the working week, but the gun is in at least 20 pieces by that point.  Only way to fully inspect the inside and check all the rifling and it can't be done from the chamber end.

Of course you don't do it when the gun is any state even close to being able to actually fire and even then I'd probably have some eye pro on with airsoft.

Why risk it though?

Accidents, mishaps, negligence, disrespect, arguments etc. can all lead up to someone losing an eye. 

B)

I also look down the barrel of my airsoft guns sometimes. After checking them once or twice and running a cleaning rod through the barrel. Magazine out of course :P (GBB/GBBR)

Think wearing eye pro in the safe zone a bit ott... its not as if things have got more dangerous. An accident happened. Airsoft is still a very safe hobby.

I almost never take my eyepro off untill i switch to my bike helmet to go home. Partially because I don't trust people and partly because my goggles are super comfy

I'm the same. Either take off my mask which my glasses fit with and the glasses stay on or mask of then glasses on. I haven't seen many ND's in SZ's, even less people shot in SZ's, most were intentional if someone got shot. Never experienced anyone losing an eye ,touch wood. The fact I have seen them brought me to the conclusion why risk it.

Archived