Poseidon ice pick floating valve review

viking252200

I just picked one up today from sidearms in akihabara and here's my thought on said valve...

According to what I've read, it should make the gun cycle even when the magazine is ice cold and each shot should be more consistent.

Sounds good eh?!

So for the sum of 26us$ I got one....

Home, I retreated to my man cave and procceded to install the ice pick in my marui high-capa

This shoots between 80-83 m/s stock.

After all the fiddly bits were in place, I charged the mag with 134 gas and waited for the mag to reach room temperature

Firing 10 shots though the chrono, told the sad story....

Where stock showed a 3m/s deviation,the ice pick had a 7m/s deviation...from 84-77 m/s

Is it worth it?...maybe in another set-up it would work better, but as far as I'm concerned, save your money.

I wouldn't cast judgement right there myself. On rifles it's pretty normal to see 20fps deviation while not affecting medium range accuracy all that much. Plus you only tested it at room temperature. From what I've been told, the new valve excels in extreme cold weather where normal setups will simply stop working altogether.

I tested this on a Marui SIG and a WE M1911.  Both experienced FPS drop by 5-10fps, and increased in fluctuations.

I had guys swear that it has made a difference in their M&P.  But I believe its psychological.

However to really test this I would suggest testing also on a SBR or rifle for proper due diligence.

I have designed floating valves myself and it is very hard to get things right since there is no way to fully simulate the fluid dynamics during a violent ejection of gas (gas has nonlinear properties, such as turbulence and compressiveness).  It can change the efficiency, impulse of the recoil and consistency of the gas output to the breech.

• 2 weeks later...

When you play in 10C Weather...a functioning gun that fluctuates +/- 10 and takes the mag all the way down to "empty" is better than one that hiss and purges its gas.  Then its "no" consistency.

Sort of like driving a car when its -30C out.  It runs, you are warm and you get to work.  Who cares if you lose 10 miles per gallon...that's 16KM per 3.8L for you metric folks.

The venting is due to the flute valve spring tension and positioning rather than the flute valve design itself.

Most WE pistols and rifles I take 1 and a half turns of spring off the flute valve, and voila cold weather performance solved. 

Consistency is due to the valve shape and design.

I've tried to instal ICE Pick flute valves and turbo valves both with WE (MEU) and TM (1911/226) - the result is very dissapointing - in fact gas efficiency drops significantly, you get a cloud of liquid gas blowing into your face and not able to finish the mag. FPS drops as well. I've expierenced no low temp performance improvement at all. The story behind sounds so damn promissing though....

Maybe they've tested the product with some specific guns (WE tolarances may vary) or manufacturing let them down

I've tried to instal ICE Pick flute valves and turbo valves both with WE (MEU) and TM (1911/226) - the result is very dissapointing - in fact gas efficiency drops significantly, you get a cloud of liquid gas blowing into your face and not able to finish the mag. FPS drops as well. I've expierenced no low temp performance improvement at all. The story behind sounds so damn promissing though....

Maybe they've tested the product with some specific guns (WE tolarances may vary) or manufacturing let them down

I have seen exact opposite of this from direct testing.  Do you have a video of your GBB acting "normally" rather than how the valve was suppose to improve low temperature operation.  

By our posted videos

...what you describe is not an Ice Pick'd GBB.

Live Chrono too.

• 3 weeks later...

Maple leaf also has something similar to the UAC one.

http://wgcshop.com/product_detail1.php?search_From=&item=MLTW-ESD-TMCV&search=special&rs=&catid=&cat=&view_choice=b

Before I installed it the gun (TM G17 with a really long and intense history) had some cycling and venting issues. After it got somewhat better. I was lazy to do a chrono test as my chrono also started failing...

Archived