LC-7-40 Ring Sight Builds

Greenmeance

Just curious if anyone else has had a play with LC-7-40-M16 ring sights? Perhaps some brave/brillant indiviual has managed to replace the long decayed light source inside or worked out other cool ways to illuminate them?

If you've never seen one before, these are old surplus sights made to fit AR carry handles and use ambient light to project a circle and cross reticle, originally they had a little internal light source for low light but these are long decayed.

Personally I really like them, they are fun to make up, simple, robust and best of all no batteries. They also hold their zero. They don't work well in low light and are fiddly to setup and use comfortably on anything other than an AR.

Here's one of mine:

IMAG0868_zps34ade2da.jpg
IMAG0867_zps5cb12d70.jpg

And here's Katotaka's (from over in the AR15 pic thread):

Ah, that aluminum illumination block, I'm cheap so I made my own version:

dzwcGUk.jpg

I'm also looking to illuminate the T reticle but it looks like it doesn't benefit too much from optic fiber.
It would be cool if the reticle is dual color'd.
Pity I didn't order extra one or two for taking it apart, just saw someone on ARFcom linked this.

Katotaka's clear block at the front likely gives better illumination straight on than the solid block on mine.

There is some really good detail and examples here, here and here. Anyone else had a play with these?

I've got one, from when there was a load available on ebay.   Not done anything with it so far, was waiting for someone to see what was inside and see if you can replace the tritium insert with a new mini element, much like I did in my SUIT.

Must admit, it's been a couple of years since I've looked to see what people have done with them.

Looks like a really cool product for it's time!

Interesting tidbit from the pdf:

"Reflex collimator sights necessarily have to reduce the light transmission through the
optical system to enable the reticle to be seen: this reduces the visibility of targets in low light (but the pupil of the aiming eye enlarges to offset this).  However the LC-7-40-M16
sight is designed to enable the skilled soldier to avoid this by using “split pupil shooting”.
 In low light he looks along the top of the optic (left clear of the housing on purpose).
Most of his eye sees above the optic and is unimpeded by it; the bottom of the eye (like
the NVG) sees the reticle, which appears to be above the optic, and can be put on the
target.  This does require aptitude and training but using this facility enables the soldier
to engage any target he can see with the naked eye, even in starlight."

• 1 month later...

Archived