Which SR25 ?

KingPandaswe

Hi,

I am interested in getting an SR25, but since there are many on the market that make them, I feel that I need some advice here from skilled SR25 owners.

There are models from G&G, G&P, Classic army, A&K, and the M110 from Ares... probably some makers that I dont know of.

We can start with that I have no interest in the A&K version, so that gets us down to 4. What are the differences between the CA, G&G and G&P ? The CA is at an fairly low price compared to the G&P, why is that? Is it just the licensed trademarks that make the price so high on the G&P ?

But most important, are they all easy to upgrade to achieve long range and tight groupings ?

How about the Ares M110, is it easy to upgrade aswell ? Its safe to say the externals look top notch on that one !

TL;DR breakdown:

Some G&Ps, All Classic Army and all A&K use the extended cylinder and piston V2.5 gearbox. This is important, because it means you have much more volume to push heavier bbs through a longer barrel, which means if you want to use it as a DMR that is good.

Some newer G&Ps and the G&Gs use a standard V2 gearbox with a longer nozzle. This is not good, as it means you have less air volume to push heavier rounds through a longer barrel. This is bad for making DMRs.

These brands all use the G&P standard SR25 magazine, which means you can get midcaps from G&P, G&G, A&K, CA and PTS. Nice.

The ARES/STAR M110s use a standard v2 gearbox with a standard nozzle, which means both less air volume and also propietary magazines. ONLY ARES magazines will work in these.

Of the external quality, I would rank them as follows:

1) G&P

2) ARES

3) G&G
4) Classic Army
5) A&K

Internally, they are all different. Classic Army SR25/M110s should have their new 9mm bearing gearboxes with quick change springs, a rotary drum metal hop-up unit and they also have an m110 variant with a keymod rail and ambidextrous controls.

G&P are G&P. Standard stuff, though the newer SR25 variants are all using the same old V2 gearbox and hop-up unit.

G&G, again, standard stuff.

A&K, have pretty awful hop-up units but you can slap any normal M4 AEG unit in there. Neodymium motors as standard, which is nice.

ARES have their EFCS mosfet gearboxes inside, which have a quick change spring system, but their mosfets tend to go poof if you push them past basic set ups.

Also worth noting is that ALL of these brands have different magwell specs.

A&K have slightly looser magwells (by about 1mm front to back) so they can take all the magazines easily. G&P is slightly tighter front to back and will have a bit of trouble with A&K mags but will fit all the others. G&G is similar, though some report that PTS mags don't always fit. CA have the tightest magwells and will only reliably take CA magazines without modifications (IE, file that magwell at the inside FRONT).

As a side note, you can modify the v2.5 gearboxes to take standard v2 pistons and gears, effectively short stroking the setup when AOE is corrected, giving a nice trigger response. Someone on here years ago was selling kits. BTW the A&K is not worth is unless you plan on replacing most parts in it, motor is good though.

TL;DR breakdown:

The ARES/STAR M110s use a standard v2 gearbox with a standard nozzle, which means both less air volume and also propietary magazines. ONLY ARES magazines will work in these.

Sort of standard. They still have some unique one off parts like the tappet plate. A standard V2 will not fit, you have to source a spare via ARES.

The ARES has a mix of nice and frustrating parts. The hopup is propitiatory since it has little ears that lock into the gearbox for consistent feed and seal but they're fragile and to remove the chamber you need to remove the whole gearbox to turn it all the way and unlock.  

TBH with regards to trigger response in the longer V2.5 gearboxes, I find that with SHS SR25 gears and a high tpa neo motor (say, an SHS hi-torque) you can get about 30rps with an output of about 1.5J on a 11.1v. That translates to a cycle speed of approx 33milliseconds. More than enough trigger response.

BTW, just remembered: The CA SCAR-H AEG uses a V2.5GB and SR-25 magazines, which makes it unrealistic for a SCAR-H but also quite good for DMR work in airsoft. Ambi controls and a nice drum style hop-up unit too.

Archived