WE ARAK-21 AEG

TheFull9

Saw this on facebook somewhere a little while ago.

14435049_877640599006826_195970084925115

The original system they're ripping off replicating is a long-stroke gas piston AR-15.  I think it started out just as a drop-in upper kit a bit like the 416 did, a way to easily change your AR to a gun that doesn't make the BCG super amazingly dirty after a mag or two; but now they sell complete rifles and all sorts.

http://faxonfirearms.com/arak-21-upper-receiver/

Not at all convinced the receivers will be made of actual, decent aluminium which will quite possibly make the upper very very heavy, but we shall see.  Fingers crossed the lowers are (best case scenario) blank.  Personally I do quite like the RS original so I wouldn't mind a replica, but I'd be infinitely more interested if it was done by someone like Krytac in a similar way they did their LVOAs i.e. licensed trades and really high quality internals with a MOSFET.

What 'NUPROL's other AEGs are like I don't know, I think this a nice little addition to the market though.

I have physically seen AEGs in shops here before claiming to be WE, plus there was that 'Katana' line.  How separated Nuprol is.. no idea.

Pretty certain they'll be entirely bog standard pot metal at sub-£300 as well.  Not that that's the end of the world, far from it, but I wouldn't say it's really aluminium...

Well there we go then.  Makes sense actually, obviously some of their things are WE originally but given the range of different stuff with their name on, they're obviously more of an Echo1 type outfit.  Seem to have a pretty strong presence here, I think their HQ might be in England actually.

The first time I came across the brand name Nuprol, it was with the green gas WE was peddling.  Is that where "Nuprol" started?  Or were there products before that?  Judging by that LandWarrior site, and comparing to Evike, it has a much bigger presence in GB than USA.

Far as I recall, it was gas first yes.  I think they marketed it as WE gas initially, specifically for WE pistols, makes anything run perfectly in any weather conditions etc etc etc.  Then it was other consumables like BBs and oil, then small gear like ACM holsters, goggles and lower face pro put in to Nuprol packaging.  Now guns it seems.

Nuprol certain;y work closely with WE if they are not a subsidiary, they are also European based.  As for not being pot metal not ally, the add says CNC’d Aluminium, so it must be or the are leaving themselves open to be sued.

Edit : 2 seconds on Google reveals a pretty good clue as to Nuprol.

http://www.weairsofteurope.com/eu/

As for not being pot metal not ally, the add says CNC’d Aluminium, so it must be or the are leaving themselves open to be sued.

Come now, I've seen this done tons of times.  Pot metal is mostly alu right?  Plenty of these cheaper brands call that 'good enough' to bang on about "CNC'd aluminium" in their ads, even though it's just standard cast zamac finished on a machine

G&P did an AEG a little while ago that had proper aluminium receivers, steel barrel etc, cost somewhere around $1000 at WGC.  I've got one of those same receiver sets, cost me about $350 (literally just the upper and lower) and that was heavily reduced down from something like $500+ RRP.  At a sub-£300 price tag, unless WE (or whoever) have set up some massive new manufacturing facility churning these things out at the rate FN USA churns out M16s, I'd bet both my legs they're standard pot metal.  Of course it'd be amazing to be proved wrong and I'd buy one in a heartbeat, I'm not seeing it though.  Usual 'close enough, they won't know any better' grey-area airsoft marketing I'm pretty sure.

Ps Ckinnerley, mind linking me that gnp? I'm on the lookout for a quality AR, but that's OffTopic.

http://gpairsoft-uk.com/shop/en/50132-gp-airsoft-deluxe-sentry-magpul-gp-gp-dxe002.html

I have no clue where that company actually is, not known anybody actually buy from them.  That site has been around for a long time, but given the amount of stock they claim to have I find it very very hard to believe they're in the UK.  WGC ran out of stock of that particular gun long ago, this was the first hit google chucked at me.

G&P did an AEG a little while ago that had proper aluminium receivers, steel barrel etc, cost somewhere around $1000 at WGC.  I've got one of those same receiver sets, cost me about $350 (literally just the upper and lower) and that was heavily reduced down from something like $500+ RRP.

I think this really isn't the case anymore, even CYMA does CNC aluminium that is actually aluminium, after all it's just aluminium, not aircraft alloy that is harder to machine or very expensive. RA-Tech does forged 7075 receivers for less than $500 (in fact, only $250-300), CNC aluminium is pretty saturated to a point it's almost a norm by Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturers for anything that isn't casted. Think "steel kit" for TM AKs used to cost upwards of $700 by Guarder back when it was rare, now an E&L or LCT guns are full steel at less than half the cost of just that kit. 

If you say so mate, I'll believe you, but that G&P I'm referencing wasn't made many years ago, just seems surprising to me they'd have completely changed their manufacturing around.  ICS for example released a factory tour video literally a few months ago showing them smelting their pot metal.  Not seen any actual evidence of other low/mid level companies doing their stuff to a higher standard.

Emphasis on "anything that isn't casted" in my post, the difference between zinc and aluminium in material cost isn't that much, in fact metal price indicates zinc is actually pricier, however it runs much cheaper for casting due to it being easier on the mould and has a much lower melting point, but if you're going for full CNC anyway, then using "aluminium" isn't inherently "higher standard" unless it specifies which type of aluminium alloy it is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not really, no.  For starters while there is a lot of casting it's from proper aluminium, not airsoft pot metal.  Casting decent aluminium is, as already mentioned, much more expensive to do.

Secondly, the cheapest AR receivers are cast, better ones are forged, the quality brands are machined from billet.  What the ratio is of each I've no idea, but bargain-basement ARs are a fairly new (comparatively) phenomenon and would most likely make up a small portion of all the ARs that exist now in the states.

Hk hates the us market, the mr556 is super expensive and makes the action slightly cleaner but not worth the higher bore sight or the heavy piston action.

In order to use the mr556 upper you have work to do and no different in reliability tbh.

Yeah it takes the gas and dirt from just one spot to 2 spots and doesn't effect reliability in the least.

Please look up iraqveteran8888, if it wasn't for the cut of the barrel it would of kept going.

Heat, barrel wobble, bad cut design it rivaled many other meltdown guns.

This post is 190% useless but hk hates the us market and thinks their *suitcase* is made of God.

From what I know anything pre 86 that isn't Colt is cast

Sure, but again, it's not manufacturing technique that has been the thrust of my case at any point in this thread.  My point has been that the advert displayed in the OP is using some grey-area language and lying just because they know they can get away with it; with regards materials used in this AEG.

Yeah I get what you mean and the shady language is your issue but the assumption that billet cnc or forgings is better than castings is something that makes me facepaw and has since the start. Not saying you have that assumption of course but its the kind of people that believe that that will lick up this adcopy

As long as you use decent quality metal you're gonna be fine and honestly for what we are doing Zamak would be fine for about 90% of the parts we need. Look at High Point for example what they use isn't too dissimilar from WE et al in terms of metal just with higher QC and they make probably the only one of the SNS type guns that will go bang every time unlike bryo/jennings/jimmiez or whatever their company is called this week.

He'll a Hipoint will take an overload around 1.5 times it's calibre's proof load and the gun will still work and if you do manage to kill it they've a lifetime warranty

Archived