43 replies to this topic

#1 Cesare

Cesare

Regular Poster

• Regular Poster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

Hi just saw that NPOAEG released a full steel aeg airsoft AK12. For you who don't know what an AK12 is; it is Russias next standard assault rifle replacing the AK74m.

This is what npoaeg ak12 looks like
325e168dc4a4d3d1eb08a68a421314cc.jpg

I think I heard about it a year ago and really liked the futuristic look. I was also impressed that it was released before the real thing made a real entry. But I guess there is a downside with being too fast. About 6 months ago the Russians declared that they will not adopt the AK12. Instead they will go for the AK12. Confused? Actually they changed the general design of the gun more or less completely but kept the name AK12. See old prototype above and new design lower.

a03fbf8f65887c3007da346b9d3fbf51.jpg

This makes this new release just an odd prototype rather then the next standard AR of the Russian army. Kind of a let down if you ask me. I wonder if they will produce the real AK12 too? I guess now they more or less have to, right?
  • gisburn20, jal3 and Dimitri MdP like this

#2 Bastel

Bastel

Regular Poster

• Regular Poster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:27 PM

Ugly bit**!!!

#3 mightyjebus

mightyjebus

Regular Poster

• Forum Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

NPO are basing there design on the GEN2 AK12 where the Russians might adopt the GEN3. The original GEN1 looks like this:

AK-12-0_zpsizbfotq0.jpg

Externally the changes are cosmetic and the rifle is still based on the original AK design. The concept was to bring the AK74 design into the 21st century. This included fixing the top cover in place so that optics would hold zero, make the fire controls more ergonomic, have ambi controls, use polymer furniture where possible and fit RIS rails for 21st century atachments.

• gisburn20 likes this

" I could tell you tails that would bend your bones..."   - Dom Joly

#4 ninja master of coffee

ninja master of coffee

Regular Poster

• Forum Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

And then there's the AK74m upgrade kit which adds a retractable stock, fixed dust cover, ris rails, etc and is already in service. I will believe the AK12 has been adopted when Russian troops are shown using it combat in numbers.

#5 Wingmann

Wingmann

Regular Poster

• Forum Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

I've seen a video with close ups on those plastics and they are awful.

= I have practiced fourteen hours a day for thirty-seven years and now they call me genius -Pablo Sarasate, musician and composer =

#6 SuperCriollo

SuperCriollo

Adv Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:05 AM

The plastic furniture looks like SRU 3D printed models. I guess they didn't have the capital to invest in expensive injection molding tooling, which is perfectly understandable for such a niche product.
Maybe they should have finished the surfaces differently ?
I don't know...

#7 blobface

blobface

Regular Poster

• Forum Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

I'm surprise they didn't manage to source real furniture to go with their NPO products, instead they keep using what I suspect are casts, the level of detail is very poor I suspect due to the mold wearing as the batch goes on. For what they charge and how well machined their steel is, going with anything but real steel furniture isn't satisfactory. 

#8 DarkLite

DarkLite

Yes, commander, my hat is large and my cloak is billowing.

• Commercial User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:26 PM

I'm surprise they didn't manage to source real furniture to go with their NPO products, instead they keep using what I suspect are casts, the level of detail is very poor I suspect due to the mold wearing as the batch goes on. For what they charge and how well machined their steel is, going with anything but real steel furniture isn't satisfactory. 

This.

I get that they make small production runs but the crappy 'cast out of a 3d printed mold which we didn't even try to acetone vapour smoothen' plastics - which on the first VAL AEGs were not even plastic but resin - are totally unacceptable for the prices they are asking.

Plus, watch the RedWolf product video:

The fake bolt literally hits the hop-up adjustment lever, so you can't let it go forward unless you want to break your hop up unit, you have to bend the hop-up lever into the gun first.

On an $800USD AEG.

They couldn't make a slimmer hop-up lever.

On an $800USD AEG.

Let's not even get onto the lack of a detent for the selectors, so there's no defined 'spot' where the selector will sit in any fire mode, or the fact that the selectors are way too stiff to move properly, or the fact that the shimming sounds utterly abysmally tight, or the lack of a mosfet and a proper burst mode...

On an $800USD AEG.

• Habakure, Kalashnikov_kid and PureSilver like this

Posted Image

#9 Gunmane

Gunmane

Regular Poster

• Regular Poster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:41 PM

Sigh, always makes me sad that most of these "premium" Kalashs and other pattern rifles remain subpar compared to their armalite competitors, considering how robust the version 3 gearbox is.

"In our hearts we- have done good and bad... we have exchanged fire, at both military and civilian during conflict. We have been around the world since our time in the red sand of Afghanistan. We have been waiting for war. Waiting, waiting. War is all we love" Kapitan Balalaika

"Hotel Moscow will show no mercy to anything in its way. We will reject it and annihilate it. Family, friends, even the pet dog if necessary."

#10 hitmanNo2

hitmanNo2

Your friendly neighbourhood hitman

• Forum Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,016 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

What's up with the fire selector markings.  Looks like safe, 2 round burst, 2 round burst, semi auto.

gallery_3510_769_19216.jpg

.......   .....  ....00110001 00111001 00110001 00110001
                    Wanted - Prime/PGC MEU metal frame for WA

#11 Bando

Bando

Regular Poster

• Commercial User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

just and FYI but Nuprol are also releasing one soonish (but you didnt hear it from me :P )

a worrying collection of 'authentic' and repro Nazi badges and other paraphenalia. Felt like i was in Mel Gibson's house, all it needed was a few posters of himself and a few other questionable things and it could have been.
'FireKnife'

#12 Habakure

Habakure

Regular Poster

• Forum Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

Fingers crossed it isn't $800 or *suitcase* ingly manufactured. Bending parts past each other, poor form.

Edit:- swear word filter.

Edited by Habakure, 20 February 2017 - 05:15 PM.

HABAKURE

#13 howitzer

howitzer

Regular Poster

• Regular Poster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

Sigh, always makes me sad that most of these "premium" Kalashs and other pattern rifles remain subpar compared to their armalite competitors, considering how robust the version 3 gearbox is.

Interesting, always had the opposite opinion. That you get more bang for your buck with a Kalashnikov AEG.

#14 blobface

blobface

Regular Poster

• Forum Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:29 PM

You do for the budget lines, but when it reaches the very high end, you have less choices. Hopefully now that the AK PTW and KSC AK ERGs are out, we might start to see more innovation, what we need is KSC's ERG system inside a real sword / E&L body, or at the very least, LCT. 

#15 Gunnman

Gunnman

Regular Poster

• Regular Poster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:40 AM

NPO should stick with what they're okay at, making kits. Once they build full replicas at higher retail price, they lose the market with a sub-par product.

Frankly, I don't think there will ever be a market for Soviet military weapons like the market for American military weapons.

Edited by Gunnman, 21 February 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#16 howitzer

howitzer

Regular Poster

• Regular Poster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

You do for the budget lines, but when it reaches the very high end, you have less choices. Hopefully now that the AK PTW and KSC AK ERGs are out, we might start to see more innovation, what we need is KSC's ERG system inside a real sword / E&L body, or at the very least, LCT. 

Fair point, find the LCT/E&L roughly on par. Real sword is another level, but haven't seen much of their stuff in stock anywhere. They also seem to have stopped development of newer offerings.

#17 Brigg

Brigg

Regular Poster

• Regular Poster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

Just wondering for everyone who isn't happy that the ak12 doesn't use real furniture. How would they even get real furniture for a prototype rifle? I can't imagine there's stockpiles of the stuff laying around.
  • Dimitri MdP likes this

Gas Blowback Technician.

Current toys:
TM Desert Eagle (with custom metal body), TM Glock 17 (PGC metal), TM VSR10 Gpsec, KSC M9 (taiwan version), KWA M226 PTP, VFC Mp5a3, Custom WE/RS M16a2, GHK AKM, WE M16a1, KWC Mini Uzi, Custom suppressed Gletcher Nagant M1895, Gletcher Nagant 1895, Custom TM 'M9 Dolphin'. KJW 1022 select fire with RS stock and custom sights. KWA M9 PTP, WE T91, ACM metal Maruzen PPK clone, Tokyo Marui M870, WE L85, Custom WE/RS Colt M639 Slab sides carbine, KWA Mac-11 with custom wooden stock, grip and ported barrel extension, ASG GL-06, Custom WE/RS M727 w/ M203

Previous toys:
2x KJW M9s, 2x KJW M1911a1s, KJW M4, far too many ACM M500 clones, SRC AKS74U,  WE G39C, KWA Mp7a1, Maruzen P38, VFC Mp5sd3, GHK AKM, KWA M226 PTP x2, KWA LM4, Custom WE M16a2. Marushin M500 SSB 8mm, KWC Mini Uzi, KWA Tokarev, WE KAC PDW, TM/Bell M1911a1, Custom KJW Muzzelite 1022, KWA MK23 SOCOM,
KWA Mac11 with custom "RE2" extension, Custom WE/RS M733, Custom KJW M700.

WANTED: G&G FNC (or any manufacturer). working or not.

#18 blobface

blobface

Regular Poster

• Forum Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

I thought they were out of prototype phase a few years ago? But in any case, it isn't exclusively about this rifle, NPO has produced replicas with very good steel bodies, but very poor resin cast furniture for their other models too. As for how one would even go about getting real steel furniture, that's not really a question the consumers have to answer, the same way I don't question how Real Sword make their stuff with real steel furniture, I just appreciate it for the price tag they demand, and IMO, NPO is the closest thing to Real Sword on Russian replicas, and they seem to have had access to real steel counterparts at least during the design phase, they have contacts, so the expectation for it isn't unreasonable, whether or not it's achievable is a different story.

#19 DarkLite

DarkLite

Yes, commander, my hat is large and my cloak is billowing.

• Commercial User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

Or even if they could just cast the stuff in a proper polymer.

Posted Image

#20 blobface

blobface

Regular Poster

• Forum Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

Yeah exactly, or CNC them out of machineable nylon (no idea how expensive they are), but they come in black and bakelite-esque colours. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Site Meter