W&S Airsoft Full-Travel Kit for GHK AK Series!

Sturm

I have been wanting something like this for about as long as I've known about GHK. A full travel bolt kit for GHK AKs!

http://www.popularairsoft.com/news/ws-airsoft-ghk-ak-bolt-full-travel-kit

It apparently increases the travel of the bolt courses of GHK AK variants from 85mm to 115mm, which is quite a difference in length, and much more realistic to a real AK (which has a cycle length of around ~120mm). I measured the bolt course of my WE AK PMC, and it has a travel length of around ~118mm. This kit will basically convert the meagre bolt travel of GHK AKs to a length that is more or less 'full travel,' and has an equivalent cycle distance to that of a WE AK (which is also labelled as being 'full travel' as well). Quite frankly, I am extremely excited for this!

It is supposed to appear on the market sometime in April from what I could gather. I also contacted Samoon about it, and they are deciding whether or not to feature it for sale on their store. I cannot see why they would not want to offer it as a product! Starting next month, the WE AKs will have little reason to exist any longer! They will forever afterwards be known as WEAK!

The question remains though, 'why hasn't this been done before?'

Well, it could have a massive impact on performance, efficiency e.t.c.  I certainly wouldn't want to be a guinea pig for this.  Whilst unrealistic, the short stroked travel on the GHK AK is key to it being such a solid gun.

Well, it could have a massive impact on performance, efficiency e.t.c.  I certainly wouldn't want to be a guinea pig for this.  Whilst unrealistic, the short stroked travel on the GHK AK is key to it being such a solid gun.

It likely has some impact, but probably not a whole lot. Either way, it'll definitely perform better than the WE. There are also C02 magazines available, and those ProWin mags (which I heard are *suitcase*, but still). The compromise is that whilst the travel is considerably longer (as I said, it is pretty much full travel), the ROF is also much lower. It would likely end up using the same amount of gas with a full travel bolt and a slower ROF, compared to the standard GHK with a half travel bolt and a much higher rate of fire. You saw the video, right? It seems to be decently reliable from the little that was shown, even if it was filmed in Taiwan where it is presumably as hot as the devil's *badger*s.

This sudden distaste for WE AKs, does this have to do with you butchering two of them out of your own inadequacy?

Do we need to start this?

And an efficient one.

Sturm as much as I'm a GHK fanboy, I would fight the urge to discredit an entire platform when your experience on it (or the hobby) is still quite limited, the WE AK platform has proven to be viable by many, you'll keep rubbing people the wrong way if you just diss a whole system with unfounded pov... just saying. 

With DH modded mags, this could be a pretty serious beast, the kick on the gun in the video looks to be quite a bit heavier than the stock gun, I look forward to this kit. 

Sturm as much as I'm a GHK fanboy, I would fight the urge to discredit an entire platform when your experience on it (or the hobby) is still quite limited, the WE AK platform has proven to be viable by many, you'll keep rubbing people the wrong way if you just diss a whole system with unfounded pov... just saying.

With DH modded mags, this could be a pretty serious beast, the kick on the gun in the video looks to be quite a bit heavier than the stock gun, I look forward to this kit.

I hear you.

But, I feel that even if I was a fan of both platforms, I would still people off purely on the basis that there are a few prominent users on here that seem to dislike me so much. There is not much I can do on that front.

In which case, maybe we should skip the insults and keep the discussion centered around the product in question. Sounds like a plan to me.

Agreed, as was always my intention. However, every thread I create ends up becoming filled with drama and is a cringe-fest. Sure, I am not a popular person on Arnies, but I would also like to be treated like I am an actual person and not a block of text. I want things to remain peaceful and on-topic.

With a few exceptions, this thread has yet to become especially toxic (unlike one of the other threads I recently created), and I wish for it to remain that way. If anyone wishes to post anything derailing or insulting, please think. That is all I ask.

And the whole point of a forum is to share opinions and ideas.

Opinions and ideas vary due to perspective and expirence.

I myself try to stay out of threads due to my lack of knowledge in certain area of airsoft. So, if I mess up a gun forever, I blame myself and not the gun. I'm not saying there are no bullies on Arnie's; but we should all try to stay objective and non-bias. Especially on the news forum due to everyone being able to read this section (including non-members).

And keep the snot tossing and snarky comments to a minimum.

Just saying, people.

on a product before the alternative has even hit the market without any physical experience isn't really helpful so getting snark as a response shouldn't be unexpected.

I will be interested to see what effect this does have on the GHK performance as the length of travel does mean that more energy will be needed to move the bolt and therefore it will have an affect on the performance. Any increase in recoil could also change the stresses on the internals as well.

The GHK guns have impressed me so far and if i had the money and was buying into a new GBBR they'd probably my first choice I mean lord knows iv dumped enough money into a frustrating mess of parts with dodgy specs and aftermarket parts that don't fit over the years to appreciate the idea of a single manufacturer making their own system and having fairly solid control of the aftermarket because of releasing their own upgrade/mod parts. *glares at the agm WA system under my bookcase*

###### on a product before the alternative has even hit the market without any physical experience isn't really helpful so getting snark as a response shouldn't be unexpected.

I will be interested to see what effect this does have on the GHK performance as the length of travel does mean that more energy will be needed to move the bolt and therefore it will have an affect on the performance. Any increase in recoil could also change the stresses on the internals as well.

The GHK guns have impressed me so far and if i had the money and was buying into a new GBBR they'd probably my first choice I mean lord knows iv dumped enough money into a frustrating mess of parts with dodgy specs and aftermarket parts that don't fit over the years to appreciate the idea of a single manufacturer making their own system and having fairly solid control of the aftermarket because of releasing their own upgrade/mod parts. *glares at the agm WA system under my bookcase*

Hence why the W&S kit will come with a steel hammer, which afaik is the only such option for a steel hammer on the market, and there certainly is a reason why this may be.

Alright, I admit I was a bit hasty in putting down the WE AK system. Quite simply, I was pretty excited. Also, I might be replacing my WE AK if all of this ends up well, and because of that possibility, I was quick to *suitcase* on the entire system (to make my investment in the WE AK PMC(s) appear as if a useless effort).

However, regardless of what I said, I most likely would have attracted the same amount of disdain from certain users on here, albeit in a different but equivalent form. No matter what I say, I feel as if it will end up biting me in the *albatross* eventually.

However, regardless of what I said, I most likely would have attracted the same amount of disdain from certain users on here, albeit in a different but equivalent form. No matter what I say, I feel as if it will end up biting me in the *albatross* eventually.

Might be because you've proven yourself to be a *rickroll*.

Just saying.

Might be because you've proven yourself to be a *rickroll*.

Just saying.

This is what I am talking about.

How about you just stop replying to anything that involves me? At this point you are just looking to start a bunch of controversy. It's been like that for a long time now. Why not refrain?

And how am I such an *albatross* (or whatever you called me that the filter blocked out)? You may think whatever you want, but I've not been much of an asshat on here. I am always pretty civil, with the exception of when I get angry over constantly being nitpicked on.

I think of the Latin phrase 'persona non verba.' You know practically nothing about me. Who are you to judge? I understand constructive criticism, but the attitude you've expressed towards me in the past several months has been rude and occasionally offensive. I understand you 'hate' me with so much passion, but instead of wasting your energy with your personal vendetta(s), why not pretend I do not exist? If you despise me so, then ignore me.

This is what I am talking about.

How about you just stop replying to anything that involves me? At this point you are just looking to start a bunch of controversy. It's been like that for a long time now. Why not refrain?

And how am I such an *albatross* (or whatever you called me that the filter blocked out)? You may think whatever you want, but I've not been much of an asshat on here. I am always pretty civil, with the exception of when I get angry over constantly being nitpicked on.

I think of the Latin phrase 'persona non verba.' You know practically nothing about me. Who are you to judge? I understand constructive criticism, but the attitude you've expressed towards me in the past several months has been rude and occasionally offensive. I understand you 'hate' me with so much passion, but instead of wasting your energy with your personal vendetta(s), why not pretend I do not exist? If you despise me so, then ignore me.

How exactly are you a *rickroll*?

That's been fairly extensively covered in another one of your threads. Here's the link: Clicky

To save time though, it's the fact that you ask for advice, then ignore the advice people give you, then throw vitriol at people for getting frustrated at your intractable inability to follow the advice you asked for, then start rubbishing everyone and everything around you whilst playing the martyr.

Case in point:

In this thread you have posted about how this new kit for the GHK GBB AKs and how it will be amazing and make the WE AKs completely and utterly obsolete, despite:

1) People telling you to temper your enthusiasm as the GHK's performance depends on its shortened bolt travel (to which you have, without basis, declared that this kit will not impinge upon the GHK's function)

2) People telling you that the WE GBB AK system is, in fact, a perfectly viable system and in some ways (particularly in cost-to-performance ratio, weight, accuracy and range) superior to the GHK system, to which your response has been to whinge about how everyone hates you for some inexplicable reason.

A further note: There were 16 posts in this thread. 4 of them are by you, complaining about how people don't like you. That's a full quarter of the content of this thread.

Now: On topic -

This kit will likely need to have a new hammer and bolt carrier, as the standard GHK set up will jam badly if you run the gun without the short-stroking buffer block inside it. Perhaps even a new sear/trigger assembly. The BC in the video seems to have wear on it already, so it might be that they've managed to make the conversion use the existing bolt assembly - or that they've tested the new BC a lot before showing the video.

From the video, the rate of fire is down and there is gas vapour - I'd say it would probably be less gas efficient than the standard GHK, though as the GHK magazine's internal dual-reservoir system is fairly good at mitigating cool down I don't see that being a massive issue.

Still does nothing to sort the atrocious hop-up unit and the full auto sear breaking, or the feed lips being faaaaaaaaaar too tight and causing misfeeds and jams. Hopefully W&S can make harder wearing steel replacements for those parts too.

EDIT: I discovered a naughty word that the mods haven't added to the filter. Oops!

Starting next month, the WE AKs will have little reason to exist any longer! They will forever afterwards be known as WEAK!

That was uncalled for.  Don't act surprised when people react to this sort of comments. 

-----------------

WE's will still have a far better and more realistic "click" when the mag is empty, which is much more enjoyable than GHK's dead trigger on empty.

WE's also have a far superior hop up than stock GHK's, which means more accuracy and range. Even if you upgrade the GHK with APS TNT-X system (100usd), it won't even compete with an upgraded WE with ML setup (~40USD).

Price tag is also on WE's side.

Also CO2 mags for WE are now a thing, just search for the Well G74 mags.

---------

I celebrate the introduction of this system. It's something most collector-minded people wanted in their GHKs ever since they hit the market. 

Yet the full travel on a GHK will probably reduce either the efficiency or the recoil, depending on if it has some way to prolong the gas output time or not, respectively. Time will tell just how convenient the system is. 

-----------

This kit will likely need to have a new hammer and bolt carrier, as the standard GHK set up will jam badly if you run the gun without the short-stroking buffer block inside it. 

The kit consist in a new hammer and (WE style :D ) recoil rod

ws_ghk_ak_bolt_fulltravelkit_02.jpg

-----------------

All in all, I feel this fixes 1 out of my 3 complains with the platform. The TNT-X system fixes the horrendous GHK hop, so that's 2 out of 3. If only they had a way to make the gun click instead of that dead trigger, i'd be great.  Expensive as *fruitcage*, but great.

Until then, I'm staying with my WE's

Yeah, no. WE AK's are still better in terms of cost to performance ratio. I've yet to change the hop up on mine and that thing is a goddamned laser beam with heavy bb's. After changing to the steel triggers and reinforcing the triggerbox, they're pretty much bombproof. 

As for the GHK, well, there's a reason why manufacturers make a certain product the way they do. From experience, fiddling around with products, putting in heavier bolts/changing bolt travel and even switching out pot metal parts to steel tend to screw up certain parts of a gun since you're now putting in unknown variables that the gun wasn't designed for. Obviously there are exceptions (the WE AK's trigger, one piece trigger box for the M14) but my point making a gun do something it's not designed to do from the factory is asking for trouble.  

That was uncalled for. Don't act surprised when people react to this sort of comments.

-----------------

WE's will still have a far better and more realistic "click" when the mag is empty, which is much more enjoyable than GHK's dead trigger on empty.

WE's also have a far superior hop up than stock GHK's, which means more accuracy and range. Even if you upgrade the GHK with APS TNT-X system (100usd), it won't even compete with an upgraded WE with ML setup (~40USD).

Price tag is also on WE's side.

Also CO2 mags for WE are now a thing, just search for the Well G74 mags.

---------

I celebrate the introduction of this system. It's something most collector-minded people wanted in their GHKs ever since they hit the market.

Yet the full travel on a GHK will probably reduce either the efficiency or the recoil, depending on if it has some way to prolong the gas output time or not, respectively. Time will tell just how convenient the system is.

-----------

The kit consist in a new hammer and (WE style :D ) recoil rod

ws_ghk_ak_bolt_fulltravelkit_02.jpg

-----------------

All in all, I feel this fixes 1 out of my 3 complains with the platform. The TNT-X system fixes the horrendous GHK hop, so that's 2 out of 3. If only they had a way to make the gun click instead of that dead trigger, i'd be great. Expensive as *fruitcage*, but great.

Until then, I'm staying with my WE's

I did admit that I was a bit too harsh. Still, you could imagine my excitement on hearing about this?!! I cannot even count how many times I tried fapping to that video of it in action. Too bad the guy's long, nasty fingernails kind of turned me off.

Anyway, kinky *suitcase* aside, the half-travel *badger*s was what was keeping me from getting a GHK AKM or AK74. Yeah, the hammer blocking on empty is not as 'realistic' to the WE 'click' on empty, but both are realistic enough in the sense that they prevent the system from dry firing, and in that sense is realistic. Overall, I don't think it is a big deal. Personally, I'd much rather have awesome GHK externals (basically 95% steel with the Samoon steel outer barrel) and a full travel (as much as the WE is 'full travel') bolt course than a WE with mediocre externals and a 'click' on empty hammer function.

It is unlikely, but perhaps the steel hammer that comes included with the full travel kit allows the hammer 'click' function to occur? Who knows?

but both are realistic enough in the sense that they prevent the system from dry firing, and in that sense is realistic. O

Hey, at least is not the KWA / KSC / SRC retarded "ill just use the mag follower to leave the bolt out of battery when empty" gimmick . On a second though, guess I could live with that. Is not that I run my mags until empty anyway.

No. On the WE the bb follower tilts the valve knocker out of the way on empty hence the click. It's as real as it's ever gonna get and my pants more times than I care to admit in a firefight. On GHK, the follower tilts a lever which blocks the hammer much like an auto sear. You can't get the realistic "dead man's click" without changing a lot of other parts.

Hey, at least is not the KWA / KSC / SRC retarded "ill just use the mag follower to leave the bolt out of battery when empty" gimmick . On a second though, guess I could live with that. Is not that I run my mags until empty anyway.

Like the VFC MP5. Mag follower is too hard so it ends up breaking the nozzle loading finger. So people release harder, more durable nozzles. So the mag followers start breaking. So people release harder, more durable mag followers...

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a nice video showing the full amount of travel that this kit offers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=WL&params=OAFIAVgD&v=Tamoxgs6EcM&mode=NORMAL

The video is unlisted.

Anyways, looks to have about the same amount of travel as the WE AKs...about 118mm. W&S told me that production got delayed, so it is not out yet. *suitcase*...I am really bloody anxious! I hope it arrives before the end of the month!

• 4 months later...

Without hijacking the SIG 553 thread too much, RC, my kit's finally arrived and it's already doing the same wearing to the bolt as per the video you posted on the SIG thread, every now and then it would also get stuck if it misalign with the channel too much (which I presume will stop happening once it's worn to *suitcase*, but I'd rather not have that happen). 

In order to solve this I just bought a pair of bearings with similar OD and depth (lower depth to account for whatever screw I'm going to have to use to fix it), and place it as close to the channels as I can afford to while still being able to put the bolt in / take it out, let's see if that'll prevent further wearing. 

Archived