Gun Haven No. 3 Schofield

MarsdenH

I got mine today. Since I wanted it to be able to shoot the homemade shells I use in my other revolvers, I had to disassemble it to bore out the chambers, and had a look at the barrel assembly while I was in its guts.

That piece that looks like it might be a hop-up unit is just metal, forming an interface between the barrel and the cylinder. There's no hop-up.

Since I have a busted WELL Webley lying around I might take apart its barrel and see if there's an easy way to retrofit a hop-up into these guns. Because there's that vertical alignment bar I'm inclined to think it should be easier than on other Wingun revolvers.

Edit: Okay, so I took a look at the WELL, and it's basically the same design. The difference is that the 'cylinder plunger' as Brigg calls it is made of rubber, rather than metal as on the Winguns, and it has a nub that projects into a corresponding groove on the barrel. That gives the fixed hop. I'm not sure how easily something like that can be replicated, but I'll think on it.

That's a slick process, it's basically identical to the Sugru R-hops I've seen around, but without needing to go buy Sugru to do it with.

I actually just cut a section of AEG barrel to the right length (so a 'blank' length of barrel), cut a hop-up window, and transplanted the cylinder plunger from the broken WELL Webley. Muzzle velocity is good and it seems secure, but I won't be able to test actual effectiveness of the hop-up until Sunday.

Plastic grips :(

tell me real wood is available from somewhere? I came close to getting the webley. still might.. but this looks even jucier, except for the grips

All the CO2 revolvers have plastic grips, because they have to go around the CO2 capsule housed in the grip. If you were to buy wooden grips, you'd have to essentially hollow them out, making them extremely susceptible to breakage. I'd prefer wood grips too, but it's not viable with the design of the guns. The Webley at least has plastic grips on the real thing.

Anyways, here's my Schofield. It's the black finish, but I've rubbed Renaissance Wax into the surface to give it a better 'blued' sheen. I've also bored out the chambers as mentioned to accommodate my homemade shells.

Thxo0HR.jpg

CDeg8Cv.jpg

crhLsBq.jpg

YBMrL7L.jpg

FbSgFnR.jpg

Lack of hop-up aside, this is a pretty good replica. It feels solidly constructed, locks up well, and sounds impressive. The only part I'm concerned about is the cylinder alignment pin on the extractor, which is the same design as on my WELL Webleys, both of which sheared their pins under stress. That said, the Wingun seems to be made of better materials than the WELLs, so it might not prove to be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

The shells say 'Webley' on the base, so it appears that they are, in fact, Wingun Webley shells. The cylinder appears to be identical to the Webley's as well.

Yup I confirm well shells fit just fine too

Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived