TO ALL JAPANESE AIRSOFTERS!

FarEast

Just to let you all know the new laws on Airsoft and replica Firearms went through on August the 1st 2006.

The new laws have not changed drastically and we are still legally allowed to own and shot replica firearms in a safe manner on private land or Government land were permission has been granted for Airsoft/Survivor Type Games.

The new law regards power of ALL your Airsoft or Airgun replicas. The new law states that it must shoot under 0.98 Joules. There are no exceptions or exemptions to this new law regardless of your local sites FPS for guns.

Just to let you know how serious the government are taking this I will tell you about what happened on the evening of the 4th of August. The owner of the company 1st (or 1st Factory) was raided by the Japanese Police, the spot checked several Airsoft Replica Firearms and found that they were over the new limits imposed by the new laws and taken into custody. The homes of several workers for 1st were also raided and they also taken in to custody for breach of the Japanese firearms and swords laws passed on the 1st of August.

Now you think that was bad, later that evening the Police entered the premises of 1st and went through the accounts and also the sales ledger, taking the details of all customers who had had their guns upgraded by 1st. These people were also raided and taken into custody if their guns proved to be over the legal limit.

All of these people were heavily fined and received criminal records for breaching the new laws and may also be sentenced to a custodial sentence later.

For a westerner in Japan this could have major complications, for anyone teaching as a JET, ALT or as an English teacher for a company such as NOVA or the likes this will result in instant dismissal from your job, The Japanese police will not hesitate to contact your employer regarding your legal dilemma, as guarantors for both your visa they are also guaranteeing your behaviour while you reside in Japan, non compliance will result in your visa being revoked and deported from Japan. In doing so you will be black listed from the US, Canada, UK and other British Commonwealth Countries.

If you find yourself detained with a revoked visa you will be moved to the illegal immigration holding centre at Narita, do a search if you wish to learn more about this installation.

I just thought as a lot of you don’t speak the language a heads up would be appreciated! Just to recap.

ALL GUNS MUST BE UNDER 0.98 JOULES REGARDLESS OF TYPE!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note, if you are importing guns from overseas let them know that the limits on all AEG's and Spring Guns (Bolt Action) is other wise you might find yourself in a pickle not of your doing. WGC and REDWOLF offer a service to down grade the power of guns.

Raided? I hope not by the same officers who ran away from baseball bat-wielding man.

I'm not horribly surprised by the draconian efforts made by the Japanese police, but going from house to house and arresting people is just a little over the top. I would expect heavy fines, but jail time? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Do you have a link to these laws or their effects? I'd like to know more about the 'sword' part....

Raided? I hope not by the same officers who ran away from baseball bat-wielding man.

I'm not horribly surprised by the draconian efforts made by the Japanese police, but going from house to house and arresting people is just a little over the top. I would expect heavy fines, but jail time? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Do you have a link to these laws or their effects? I'd like to know more about the 'sword' part....

Ok this is not over the top in anyway the new laws have publicly being advertised with posters up in all shops and magazines for the industry. 1st Factory has blatantly ignored this rule and has continued to upgrade guns knowing it was illegal. What the Japanese Police have done is enforced this law, If the police didn't enforce it then the new laws would be meaningless and we would end up with the situation like the UK which is an impending ban on all replicas.

Japan, thanks to the US's governing (And I’m not being sarcastic, I think a total ban for real weapons or a heavily monitored system is good) after WWII has been very tight on its gun control. Japan has one of the largest populations for its land mass in the world yet the violent crime rate is unbelievably low, Gun crime is non-existent!

Why because of the tight controls and the active policing of those laws. So if a company who should be setting an example breaks the law and upgrades guns for customers who also know the law then it only goes to stand that they are made an example of.

As for the police officer that ran off when confronted by the guy with a bat, well there is a flip side to that story, the office in question was a local community officer (these are police officers that live in a community all their lives and the police station is their house.) he was basically up for retirement and when a young man confronted him with a bat he went for back up, these local community officers do not carry firearms like standard police.

But hey "Unarmed Local community Cop, up for retirement runs from bat weilding maniac" doesn't sell papers! ;)

So the laws passed into law on 1 August? Or did they enter into law before and then go into effect on 1 August?

But hey "Unarmed Local community Cop, up for retirement runs from bat weilding maniac" doesn't sell papers! ;)

Whatever happened to going out with a bang? :P

Also I would like to point out the definition of raided here in Japan.

Unlike HollyWood's depictation of the Police bursting in with riot sheilds and gasmasks the poilce here turrn up at you door with a warrant to inspect and test your replicas. You have no choice but to let them in.

They already have the equipment and an expert to test the guns (Normally a 3rd party expert so that no one can complain) the guns are tested there on the spot infront of you and if the gun continuosly fires over the limit you are read your rights and taken into custody.

did they raid the houses of all people who had guns uprgaded, or just people who had guns upgraded after the law was passed? because if they raided ppl who upgraded their gun before the law, that would be a bit unfair, as the owner may be in the process of ordering parts or finding some1 to decrease the power of the gun. if the owner upgraded the gun after the law was passed though, i see no problem with them being raided.

im sorry that this law has passed in japan, but tbh im quite impressed by the police, acting so fast after the law had passed and not only raiding companys, but also raiding individuals as well.

Laws are laws at the end of the day. While arresting people might sound harsh, if they knew they were breaking them then they deserved to be dealt with. Considering there was advanced notice of the new requirements given with regards to power output, i personally would have made it a priority to ensure any airsoft i possessed wasnt a "hot" replica.

Out of interest, where do these new laws put AEG's such as the TM G36C & M14 which generally come out the box above the 0.8J limit, but are made in Japan ?

In agreement with Dist though, the efficiency of the police is kind of impressive. I dont think many countries could claim to be so well organised and fast on acting inline with new laws.

But of interest, where do these new laws put AEG's such as the TM G36C & M14 which generally come out the box above the 0.8J limit, but are made in Japan ?

All new TM's operate at or under 0.95Joule shops by law need to test them, so if you buy one and its over the limits the Shops are responsible not you.

did they raid the houses of all people who had guns uprgaded, or just people who had guns upgraded after the law was passed? because if they raided ppl who upgraded their gun before the law, that would be a bit unfair, as the owner may be in the process of ordering parts or finding some1 to decrease the power of the gun. if the owner upgraded the gun after the law was passed though, i see no problem with them being raided.

Posters have been up in all Airsoft, Toy shops, police stations and boxes since the beginning of the year, thats 8 Months, stating that your gun needs to be under the new limits. Everyone has had fair notice of the new laws and it was upto the individual to make sure his or her gun was compliant on the 1st of August, one work round is to remove and destroy any spring from a gun that takes it over the limits, that way it is not possible to opperate the gun. I currently have 1 sniper rifle in that state as i need to get a replacement spring from the manufacturer and also 2 AEG's from HK with both spring and motors removed. These are compliant to the new laws as they are not able to be operated.

This is a sad thing to hear, another nail in the coffin of the japanese airsoft manufacturers...

Don't talk utter rubbish, Japanese Airsoft guns have never gone over 0.98 Joules straight from the box. The law was set up in conjunction with major Japanese Airsoft manufacturers and Teams and alot of research was done.

The limit was set to 0.98J because of the following:

No game site in Japan allows any AEG over 1 Joule on the skirmish field

Japanese Manufacturers do not produce guns that powerful.

So tell me, how is this another coffin in Japanese airsoft?

Come on people lets use our brains before posting! :)

This is how the Law should be administrated, It's great that the Japanese goverment is working closely with the Manufacturers and the players to bring in a law that is not only fair but protects the sport from idiots that over powered thier guns to 4~7 Joules and then shot at passing cars, or do drive by shootings while also actually using that law against offenders.

the laylax and x-fire websites still show 210 and 380 springs for APS series as available for purchase....I wonder if all the springs, reinforced bolts,cylinders etc will eventually disappear and or when new guns come out there won't be any hyper upgrades available from Japanese manufacturers. That would cut back on lot of new developments from these manufacturers...it is a significant event not only for Japanese softers but also for foreign softers who don't have these restrictions...will we see more Chinese manufacturers filling this void?....very interesting to say the least...

i think they were wrong to just raid homes after 4 days of the new law. thats just witch hunting. seriously they could have had a grace period or gone round and asked nicely that now the new law is in could they please downgrade their weapons. btw we'll be back in a week to check.

and i thought british police were bad.

pete

Ok this is not over the top in anyway the new laws have publicly being advertised with posters up in all shops and magazines for the industry. 1st Factory has blatantly ignored this rule and has continued to upgrade guns knowing it was illegal. What the Japanese Police have done is enforced this law, If the police didn't enforce it then the new laws would be meaningless and we would end up with the situation like the UK which is an impending ban on all replicas.

Ignorance of the law is not defence - and particularly not when that law has been drafted with the active participation of manufacturers and players representatives, and has been WIDELY publicised for several months before it came into effect.

I'm particularly impressed by the way they involved those effected by the changes and by the amount of publicity they put into it.

Sounds like the UK government could learn a thing or two from the Japanese about how to draft and enact proper laws, and how to publicise it so that people with innocent intentions don't get caught out.

Archived