G&G UMG un-boxing and initial impressions...

staticzero

The purpose of this thread is to give you a look at the new G&G UMG. Hopefully there's something here you haven't seen before. I only got it an hour ago (swung by Airsoft Extreme during lunch), so this will be pretty superficial for now. I'm going to write an in-depth analysis later on. However if you have any questions ask away! :)

A few quick notes:

1. According to Sean at AEX (who's opinion I have faith in), the hop rubber is kind of poor. This isn't unexpected, frankly. He says he's had good results using a replacement Systema part. I'll be investigating this in greater detail myself.

3. Sean reported to me that the production units chrono at 320FPS. Nice! I'll be testing this myself later, of course.

4. The only battery available (at the store) that would fit was a 8.4v 600mAh stick battery. However, in the manual a custom "G&G UMG Type" double-column 9.6v 1000mAh pack is pictured. No more info on the battery pack is available at this time AFAIK. I presume it is built with 'AA' or smaller diameter cells, there's no way a double column pack made with 'A' diameter cells will fit. I have a theory, if sub-C diameter cells fit, perhaps a high capacity (3000mAh or greater) 7.2v stick could work. If it had a high enough discharge rate, it could yield a high ROF while having longer life than packs based on smaller cells. I'm going to look into this, and other battery options further.

5. The whole thing feels extremely solid! I'm a very happy camper at the moment...

On to the pictures (Due to ten-per-post limit, this will be in multiple parts):

The box

IMG_6701.sized.jpg

The Foam

IMG_6705.sized.jpg

The Lowcap say's it's a Hicap?

IMG_6706.sized.jpg

Mag end markings

IMG_6707.sized.jpg

Side rails, screws, loading tool, cleaning rod, manual. They've thoughtfully included an extra screw in case you'd like to remove the handstop/front sling attachment. The manual is very nice too! It has great instrustions on proper use and take down. I'll try and scan it later

IMG_6709.sized.jpg

UMG, stock folded

IMG_6710.sized.jpg

Front, barrel cap on

IMG_6712.sized.jpg

Selector lever and markings

IMG_6714.sized.jpg

Serial number plate and other markings

IMG_6715.sized.jpg

'Trademarks'

IMG_6716.sized.jpg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mag well area

IMG_6717.sized.jpg

Grip end plate

IMG_6718.sized.jpg

Rear body pin

IMG_6719.sized.jpg

'Bolt' open, hop up unit visible

IMG_6720.sized.jpg

Field stripping (sorry, my hand obscured the flash a bit)

IMG_6721.sized.jpg

Field stripped. You can see the inside of the upper receiver. Also note the cylinder appears to be a full, non vented cylinder. Odd. We'll see if this is true for sure once I open 'er up.

IMG_6722.sized.jpg

Hop up unit released

IMG_6723.sized.jpg

Hop up unit and inner barrel

IMG_6724.sized.jpg

Major components

IMG_6725.sized.jpg

Some casting imperfections, it'll be easy to clean up.

IMG_6726.sized.jpg

Battery compartment door

IMG_6727.sized.jpg

Battery compartment open

IMG_6728.sized.jpg

Battery in place

IMG_6729.sized.jpg

The UMG

IMG_6731.sized.jpg

Rear sight, ghost ring

IMG_6732.sized.jpg

Rear sight, 'V' type

IMG_6733.sized.jpg

Bolt Lever. Yes, you can do the Hk slap! It remains to be seen if it will hold up though.

IMG_6734.sized.jpg

Here's a link to the gallery if you want to checkout the high res pics: http://photos.returners.org/gallery/UMG

Thats it for now!

I wonder what that "M.I.T." stands for?

Nice pictures, as always. :)

It's kind of strange that the box art shows one with suppressor, but the actual gun doesn't come with one.

Thanks! :)

Good querstion RE the M.I.T. Hmm..

The foam actually has a spot for the suppressor, but the box states that it is not included. It will, however, be available separately. AEX is expecting the supressors and the hicaps later this week. The proto suppressor I got to check out was just a metal tube, no baffleing at all, so it will probably be purely cosmetic.

I love the way they've stylized the G&G to look like the H&K logo :D How cute :wub:

Heh, yeah. I'm just glad the markings are subtle. I don't mind them being fake, as long as they aren't as flashy as the ones on the G&G armalite line. Yuck!

Great job, lovely photos! And congrats on your new purchase!

Thanks! I can't wait to get it home and really put it through it's paces. :D

Does it feel good quality?

So far, overall, yes. Though I expect I'll have more to say once I have a chance to nit-pick. :)

M.I.T = Made In Taiwan

As for the suppressor it's very strange as at the last BH Show they said it would come with one, maybe they changed thier minds to keep the price down?

Or to prevent snags shipping internationally perhaps? That's my thinking, anyway. I know US retailers have run into 'snags' in the past when guns come with suppressors, fake or otherwise. Though cost is a good reason too.

also bear in mind the US is getting a bit sniffy about supressor/silencer parts for airsoft guns- theres a fear, I guess, of them being converted to realsteel and used by johnny badguy for nefarious acts of naughtiness.

so possibly this may play a part.

or just so they can maximise theor profit margin, which is most likely the case...

I read somewhere that this gun requires you to cycle the charging handle before shooting and press the bolt release if you swap a part-finished mag.

Is any of this correct?

No. You may work the bolt if you like, however. The bolt catch does work, so if you pull the bolt back and engage the catch, the bolt will stay open allowing access to the hop up adjustment. You can then hit the bolt catch button to release the bolt with a 'clack'. You can also lock the bolt open they same way you can on an MP5, and as I mentioned you can even do the Hk slap! None of this is needed to chamber a round though. The 'bolt' doen't interface with the gearbox in any way.

I'll try and get some video of this later. :)

Is it metal ? (the grey hue makes me think it plastic

It's pretty much plastic, aside from the outer barrel, rails, sights, and a few other parts. As is the real thing, I'll add.

It's very solid feeling plastic, similar to the CA36 series' material. I'm not sure if it's polymer/glass fiber composite or what, but it feels really good! I do wish the 'bolt' was metal though, that would have been nice.

Looks Great! Congratulations!

Thanks!

One thing: "UberMachine Gun" ?!

Indeed.

Archived