Well, I doubt anyone will read this, but I'd like to be able to track my progress, so here we go!
Having just purchased one of the new G&P 8mm M4s a few weeks ago, I decided it was time to "speshul forcez" it up a bit. There's quite a bit that I plan to do to it, and I'm going to need to pick up some new magazines and batteries as well, so this won't be cheap... my intial estimates place the final cost at about £900-950. Ouch. Then again, thats what a project is for!
I'm going to swap the stock 363mm barrel, hop and rubber for a Prometheus 407mm 6.03, a Madbull Ultimate hop-up and a soft Firefly rubber. A fireworks beta mosfet probably won't go amiss either. That should be the extent of my internal fiddlings, as apparently, G&P know their stuff when it comes to gearboxes. In fact, most of the price is centred around the external additions. The 14.5" outer barrel I plan to switch for a Pro-arms 16" one, and of couse the handguards will need changing to a standard G&P KAC RIS. Throw a rubber butt pad, storm grip and CAR-15 stock on there (as well as a C8 body) and we should be good to go. I am, of couse, ommitting the solid diemaco front sight and sling plate. Replicas are either very hard to find or non-existant for these, so I'll wait until perr_mike or someone else produces some replicas.
Optics was something that I've been pondering for a while, I was torn between a 4x ACOG, or a D.I.S. Thinking rationally though, since it was unlikely I was going to pick up a D.I.S. anytime soon, I decided I'd go for the ACOG. Then what do you know, a D.I.S. came up for sale! £65 lighter, I'd made my first purchase, and bought my first real steel part ever. However, in order to fund the intial stages of the project, I would need to break down and sell some of the parts I would be replacing on my G&P. Following an online guide, I broke it down all the way until I go to the part where the upper receiver is removed from the lower. I hit a snag: The fuse. Annoyingly, I had to snip the wires connecting it to the gearbox (I'll pop it along to a friend later who'll hopefully solder it up for me), but at least the wires now feed through the delta ring easily enough. I'm currently now trying to remove the delta ring with an AR-15 armourer's tool. So armed with a pair of of needle nose pliers, thats my next task. To end on a frustrating final note, I've also gouged a chunk out of the delta ring. Being the perfectionist that I am, that'll probably mean picking up a new one of those as well. Damn.
If you made it through my rambling, thanks for persevering. Next update will be in a few days.