Holstering your Sidearm

finderella1

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mines ready to shoot soon as i pull it out of the holster. but ive got a 1911 with the weird grip safety. saying that, its no different to any pistol i used. its always ready to shoot soon as i pull it.

using a pistol for me tends to be a last minute decision. rushing up to a building, dropping my gun on the deck - i dont use slings - and pulling my pistol as i enter the building. i dont need to be fannying about pulling slides and switching safeties off at the same time.

I always keep the safety on when my USP is in the holster. I use a thigh holster, so by the time the gun is at chest level, I've had plenty of time to flick it off with my thumb. With a little practice, I can disengage the safety quickly enough so that it doesn't make too much of a difference.

I just think that it is a good habit to keep your sidearm on safe unless you are shooting, airsoft or not.

With my P226: Decocked.

With my Desert Warrior (if/when it gets here): Cocked and locked.

With my MP7A1: Locked.

If I had an M92, USP or similar: Decocked and locked.

In real life (if I were to carry a sidearm in real life):

Greenside military:

-Completely safe. No round in the chamber, hammer down, safety engaged (if possible). If you need a handgun in Woodland you're probably going to have plenty of time to get it ready.

Everything else (blackside military, LE duty carry, LE tactical, concealed carry, &c.):

-Ready to rock and roll, with all safeties engaged. If you need a handgun in these situations, you're going to need it ASAP. The only thing you should need to do to ready your handgun is deactivate your safeties. If your manual safety is deactivated in your holster, so long as you have a good quality holster, you should be fine. But I would keep mine on: I'm not quite as crazy as Hoot.

The safety thing is just good practice. You will find that most people (stereotyped here so don't jump at me!) that use real steal will be most pedantic about it in airsoft as its a bad habit you really don't want to develop.

My pistols? Safetys off, hammers de-cocked.

But knowing how I play airsoft, I'm never letting myself near a real pistol! :P

Does anyone else however find that they fiddle with safeties when camping for a while, or waiting for an ambush?!?! :D

Dont real life M9s decock when the safety is engaged anyway? (something the WA do which the TM's do not)

Yes.

Now personally, I know that simply keeping my safety off for airsoft is not going to effect my real-steel dealings.

For other, more habitual people, it might be a bad idea.

For me its extra round in the chamber all safetys off unless im in a safe zone. Reason being:

1) Its airsoft its not gonna blow my leg off

2) Unless your a complete tool, your gun wont go off while drawing

3) This is my safety (holds up index finger)

Edit- Really mature neg rep jagbden. Im sorry one word hurt your feelings. For your information, note how my number 1 reason is this is airsoft not real steel. Number 2, I have heard those reports of people ADing with Serpas, however that can be corrected through proper training and muscle memory. Last I checked we were on an airsoft forum discussing how we carry out airsoft pistols. If we were on a real steel forum I would have posted a different style of carry for different reasons. I also love how you can predict what my claims to fame will be before I even reach them you are really some psychic. Oh and so my post is wrong because some japanese guy might read it and hurt himself? Well Im flattered that people would take my posts to heart but firstly, this is how I do it, where did I say everyone should copy me? Should I have classified it by region? "Hey if you're from the US do whatever you want, for my Asian Brothers be safe, for those in the UK you cant own fire arms anyway (j/k guys :) ) And secondly, if a guy in japan is using airsoft to practice real steel techniques he should practice as one would practice for real steel, not airsoft but I guess that wasnt clear in the disclaimer I include in every post. Get off your high horse. But really, the neg rep hurts me, a lot. :rolleyes:

Tell that to the expirience operators who have shot themselves in the foot and leg drawing their sidearms from SERPA holsters. And the Japanese guy who only shoots real steel once a year (he shoots AS the rest of the year while in Japan) and has won a number of highly competitive awards but was D/Q'd because his gun went off prematurely when drawing his gun. In any case, there are all number of real operators with much greater claims to fame than you will ever have who have had accidental discharges.

2) Unless your a complete tool, your gun wont go off while drawing

The offending passage. Again. Better people than you have had it happen to them.

Im sorry one word hurt your feelings.

You didn't hurt my feelings. You insulted people who have bled and died for their countries.

And secondly, if a guy in japan is using airsoft to practice real steel techniques he should practice as one would practice for real steel, not airsoft but I guess that wasnt clear in the disclaimer I include in every post.

He trains using real steel techniques.

Get off your high horse. But really, the neg rep hurts me, a lot.  :rolleyes:

I'm not on a high horse. You're just at the bottom of a really big hole filled with your own *beep*.

I'm currently using a G18C, so there isn't really a lot in the way of safeties or hammer functions. I keep it cocked on semi (relying on the trigger safety only, since airsoft glocks are single action as opposed to 'safe action'). You can't really use the selector as a safety (disassembly position) because it's VERY fiddly to move when you start it in the middle. Going semi to auto and back is easy, but anything in between and it gets stiff and you have to push it into the slide as well as pull the slide back a bit while moving it into the desired setting. Also, keeping your selector in the disassembly position is a good way to lose your selector switch retaining pin - if the grub screw loosens and your selector is in the middle, the pin is free to fall out.

I used to carry a TM Mk23. That one was hammer back, thumb safety on, slide stop (slide lock safety on the TM) off.

I try to keep my 1911 cocked and unsafe whenever i remember too, and i keep my finger off the trigger while drawing untill i have a valid target.. thus saving my own leg from self-inflicted pain. :-p

Archived