Holstering your Sidearm

finderella1

depends on the gun

if its a gun with DA capabilities safety off and hammer down

SA only, locked and cocked.

In real life i carry my M1911A empty chambered because im not in a combat enviroment, my revolvers are carried loaded and hammer down(they have a transfer bar safety)

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I carry my TM P226 with a chambered round and the hammer down in my Safariland 6004. I would have it cocked as well, but the safety hood won't work with the hammer up. Also, the small side safety doesn't work holstered in the Safariland, since it'll push the button back in.

If I had the choice, I would keep my safety off anyway, since the only time the P226 would be in my holster would be for it to be drawn and fired.

Yay Airsoft - the sport that promises all your weapons will be fired at least once before the day is out. :D

I use a Glock AEP so it's effectively already chambered and if I leave the main safety off the trigger safety handles everything else. Means I can draw and open up on folks in one quick motion.

Only thing you have to do is not draw it whilst holding down the trigger, a surprisingly simple manoeuvre to learn :-)

I don't often carry a pistol, but when i do, it's often uncocked. This all came about from owning a glock 19 a while back, which has a pretty light trigger and no safeties, so it often went off when drawn from the holster. It takes a fraction of a second to cock a pistol, after drawing it.

Something to conisder - how many people actually safe their pistols when walking back into the safezone? I've seen a lot of people fire their AEGs, use a GBB, then swap back to an AEG in game, then walk into the safezone with a loaded, cocked pistol. To my mind, thats a good reason to at least apply the safety catch before holstering a pistol.

Chambered, cocked, safety on. Using a 1911 with a Safariland means it has to be cocked to holster it or the hood won't close on the 1911 6004 holsters.

WOW some of you guy's in here have some huge bags of McCains on your shoulders :blink:

Seeming the P226 doesnt have a safety (at least in the real world) how safe is it without employing the hidden one? (As Im thinking along the lines of how safe do you want a gun when in the safe zone which doesnt have a true safety catch)

Ive been practicing with mine, bit of gas in the mag (so I know if I accidentally fire on the draw) and have been ok, guess its just getting used to it and keeping your finger off the trigger till you need to fire.

The offending passage. Again. Better people than you have had it happen to them.

You didn't hurt my feelings. You insulted people who have bled and died for their countries.

Well first of all its an expression, its something you say that doesnt need to be taken to heart. DO NOT insinuate that I insulted those who fought for my country. As I said, we are talking on an airsoft fourm about airsoft matters. No where did I say people who've been killed by ADs are morons. The phrase was in reference to airsoft in a joking manner.

He trains using real steel techniques.

Well then him not using proper safety during training is a result of his choices not mine.

I'm not on a high horse. You're just at the bottom of a really big hole filled with your own *beep*.

Im not at the bottom of any hole, I've shown what I said to be accurate in the context of the conversation.

Im dropping this now, but I needed to respond to someone saying I was insulting real operators when they read way too far into something.

1911a1 - loaded, cocked locked and tumb strap closed over under the hammer

TM 9m - hammer down and loaded, safety off tumb strap accross back of hammer

Glocks - loaded and shove in there, tumb strap closed just make sure finger not on trigger :)

I use an M12 holster with drop leg and tumb strap attachments :)

Well first of all its an expression, its something you say that doesnt need to be taken to heart. DO NOT insinuate that I insulted those who fought for my country. As I said, we are talking on an airsoft fourm about airsoft matters. No where did I say people who've been killed by ADs are morons. The phrase was in reference to airsoft in a joking manner.

I didn't insinuate anything. I out-right said it.

Well then him not using proper safety during training is a result of his choices not mine.

Your definition of proper safety being to go nowhere near a loaded gun, I take it?

Im not at the bottom of any hole, I've shown what I said to be accurate in the context of the conversation.

Im dropping this now, but I needed to respond to someone saying I was insulting real operators when they read way too far into something.

Good. Because the first step of getting yourself out of a hole is to stop digging.

I like my USP cocked. I've noticed that when I decock it, it takes longer to pull back the trigger. When I need to make a fast shot, the resistance makes me twist the gun a bit and it goes off target.

With it cocked, I barely have to tap the trigger, and I can get off a shot alot quicker and more accurately.

And secondly, if a guy in japan is using airsoft to practice real steel techniques he should practice as one would practice for real steel, not airsoft but I guess that wasnt clear in the disclaimer I include in every post.

You do know that he can't practice with real guns in Japan, right? And Jagdraben already pointed out that he was practicing as one would practice for real steel.

1) Its airsoft its not gonna blow my leg off

2) Unless your a complete tool, your gun wont go off while drawing

3) This is my safety (holds up index finger)

I've tried that argument before--there's this thing called "complacency". Look it up in a dictionary.

And I've had a POS KWC P99 go off while I was holstering it....

But hey, if you ever use a real gun, and shoot yourself or someone else because of your "safety", it's not my problem.

I carry all my pistols ready to fire. I used to use safetys but I'm a forgetful bugger and I was forever forgetting they were on so I'd pull the trigger and get nothing and like Verymanynames said its feckin airsoft I'm not likely to kill myself or anyone if I have an AD when I'm drawing or holstering my pistols.

It really grinds my gears when you get people in the dead zone bitching about people not putting safetys on, unless its lunch or in the safezone safety glasses/masks should be on at all times so even if you do get an AD its not going to seriously hurt/maim anyone.

It really grinds my gears when you get people in the dead zone bitching about people not putting safeties on, unless its lunch or in the safezone safety glasses/masks should be on at all times so even if you do get an AD its not going to seriously hurt/maim anyone.

I was going to comment something about people's freedom to do as they please, because even I recognize it's only airsoft. It's my personal choice to use these more like training tools, while someone else just has a good time playing games, and it doesn't matter if the practices would be unsafe with real guns.

But don't whine back if other people are around you and feel you are not playing safe. When you are with other people, you respect them and play by the common rules. You can shoot your nuts off in your backyard if that floats your boat, but a bit more consideration is welcome at skirmish sites.

-Sale

At my local sight you can keep mags in your pistol as long as it's holstered, as soon as it's out of the holster the mag comes out. As a result I like to keep my USPc cocked in it's fobus but on safe while in the safe zone incase it did go off for any reason.

i keep my Glock 18C ready to fire in the holster, but when im in the safe zone i remove the magazine. that way i dont have to remember to cock it first. also at anywhere but the skirmish site its kept empty, selecter on takedown position so it cant fire, and with no mag in it as its got no safety, as one of my airsofting mates likes to pick up his/my guns, point them at me and pull the trigger as a joke. wasnt funny when he nearly hit me with his "unloaded and perfectly safe" GBB <_<

As a result I like to keep my USPc cocked in it's fobus but on safe while in the safe zone incase it did go off for any reason.

LOL is that a KSC USPc? Ever tried pulling the trigger with the safety on?....... Yup still fireable so on this pistol safety on or off makes little difference :P

Archived