Holstering your Sidearm

finderella1

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I carry my airsoft pistols the same as I do my real steel.

1911- Round in chamber, hammer cocked, safety on.

DA pistols- Round in chamber, de-cocked.

As far as the argument between Jagdraben & Verymanynames, I feel like I should throw in my 2 cents, so here it is.

Even real world operators can develop bad/unsafe weapon handling habits.

Having an A.D. does not make you a "complete tool" there is a reason it's called an "Accidental Discharge". Everyone makes mistakes.

I'm former military, have been shooting real steel for 27 years, and I've had 1 A.D. Luckily the only casualties were the corner of a bed & bit of drywall.

As far as SERPA holsters...I have 2 & I love them. I can certainly see how someone could have an AD while drawing. However I believe that the cases of this happening can be in large part attributed to the operator not being familiar with the holster, which (IMO) basically boils down to not enough trainig/practice.

Most of the cases I've heard/read about (and I'm by no means saying that they are limited to what I've heard/read) have involved LEOs. Unfortunately most LEOs do not get the amount of firearms training & practice that they should or would like to. Most LEOs I know (including the SWAT officers) would agree.

oh, one thing i think i should mention is that my brother had an M92f Tactical master that he left on safety all the time, it stopped working and it was apparently the spring that pushes the saftey parts back to normal operating position when safety is released was knackered, dont know if its a one off, but now he and my mate leave theres safety off while the pistols are away in their boxes. just thought id let you know

Glock 19's (KSC) on the field loaded and made ready, holstered in a fobus roto holster ,trigger is fully covered firm grip on the pistol , sharp pull and it's free ( passive retention on the fobus range) ready to fire.

But when we clear (remove mag, fire a couple shots on semi, apply safety catch) our AEGs before going into the safezone we ALWAYS clear the pistols too ( and remove moscarts from launchers! )

I am very attached to my eyes , and the safezone is supposed to be SAFE.

Down at Lasham if someone enters the safe zone with a mag in they will be given some pushups as a "gentle" reminder ! same penalty for taking your eye protection off on the field.

Jim

Thats the bonus of a gbb, all you need to do to make it completly safe is remove the mag as then theres no gas to fire the chambered round.

Best to always check its empty after the game though, wouldnt be good if at home to load a gased but unloaded mag and not know theres one in the gun.

Your guns are not going to AD sitting in a holster, YOU are going to have a AD messing around with loading and unloading entering and exiting safezones.

If you really want to be as safe as posible, get a hardshell holster, load up your gun so it will fire when you pull the trigger, place in holster, don't mess with it until you have to use it.

Your guns are not going to AD sitting in a holster, YOU are going to have a AD messing around with loading and unloading entering and exiting safezones.

If you really want to be as safe as posible, get a hardshell holster, load up your gun so it will fire when you pull the trigger, place in holster, don't mess with it until you have to use it.

"Your guns are not going to AD sitting in a holster, YOU are going to have a AD messing around with loading and unloading entering and exiting safezones."

hmm, you mean ejecting a mag is dangerous ? as soon as the gas supply is removed it's safe , and if you can't load a pistol safely when you step out onto field why are you there ?

Its about safety , how often do you see people in the safe zone showing off there pistols aegs etc to interested people ? IF a pistol stays in it's holster it's safe. if someone wants to look at it try it out etc, how safe is that? . I have heard people express these opinions before, and it depends on the site management what rules they want to impose.

With regards to entering the safezone, experiance has taught me that other people can be idiots therefore i rarely remove my glasses even when in the safe zone. Most days they never even leave my face from start to finish.

Ive seen most AD's/ND's resulting from either lack of practice in drawing, using cheap/cordura holsters or from the person being a ######!

Question, if the guy trains with his airsofts using real steal techniques for when hes in shooting comps with his real steal how come his gun went off early? Forget to safety it that day?

No. When you're in a high stress situation, your fine motor skills are shot to hell. Unless you do high stress training regularly and often (or have liquid nitrogen for blood), you may find yourself pulling the trigger way too soon: Without thinking, your finger will go into the trigger guard and pull the trigger (and this is in addition to other possible side-effects of a high stress, life-threatening situation: tunnel vision, temporal distortion, and conscious loss of hearing). And training only reduces the odds, it doesn't reduce them to zero. Even if you've been using firearms your whole life and using them professionally (as a soldier or LEO) for decades, it can still happen to you and it does happen to real people. Fortunately, most of the time when they happen, it's in competitions, where the only thing you should be able to hurt would be either yourself, paper/steel/plywood, and maybe a really unlucky bird or deer. The main reason that it happens primarily in competition isn't because it's necessarily higher stress (I've heard from some who have been shot at that they feel that competition involves higher stress than actually getting shot at, different strokes, I suppose) so much as it is that these skilled folk draw, holster, and put more rounds down range during competitions than they do in real situations.

having been a regular user of both real steel and airsoft for 17 years I do know a little about the handling of both and I think that comparing airsoft and real steel too much can breed complacency when dealing with the real steel not help !

Having differant drills for airsoft and real is fine as it will make sure that you subconciously keep in mind the differance between the two.

To confuse the two in use will do more harm than good.

Airsoft wise I usually carry cocked,hammer lowered,no safety (P226,USPc)

Cocked,no safety for most others.

In real steel the majority of pistols I carried cocked and locked although some pistols namely the Glock allows you to carry cocked using the safe action system instead of physical safety.

and why do you think it would be mandatory to practice safe handling on an aeg but not a paintball marker ?

The paintball marker fires at more dangerous powers than the airsoft gun !

hmm, you mean ejecting a mag is dangerous ? as soon as the gas supply is removed it's safe , and if you can't load a pistol safely when you step out onto field why are you there ?

Its about safety , how often do you see people in the safe zone showing off there pistols aegs etc to interested people ? IF a pistol stays in it's holster it's safe. if someone wants to look at it try it out etc, how safe is that? . I have heard people express these opinions before, and it depends on the site management what rules they want to impose.

Name of topic is "Holstering your Sidearm" not safe gun handling.

Funny, I seem to be alone in my pistol holstering technique.

I rack the slide to cock the gun and load a BB.

Then take the mag out and stick it in the mag pocket that almost all holsters have.

When I draw the pistol I also load the mag and it's ready to shoot. In 10 years of airsofting I've never lost a pistol mag and, honestly, I've never yet had an occasion where somebody's got the drop on me while I was loading the pistol mag.

Even so, I'd always prefer to walk back to a spawn-point rather than losing a £30 mag.

"Even so, I'd always prefer to walk back to a spawn-point rather than losing a £30 mag."

That is a *suitcasey* mindset, you fight until you run out of options, you don't give up options before the game starts, so you cheap (or RS nylon) holster is dropping your mags? maybe its time to get a good holster for your gun, and by good I mean plastic/krydex, and keep your self in the fight.

I am not trying to attack people, I may sound harder then I mean to in english, and just a game? well football is also just a game, some people kick a ball around and other people do the same and get paid millions, and it has something to do with mindset and skills, and you can work on both.

And having propper gear is a mindset issue, not the latest and greatest high speed low drag 100mph rangerseal whatever gear, propper gear that lets you do the job and don't slow you down, keeps you in the fight, there is nothing better then over comming a problem in game and keep fighting.

Archived