Holstering your Sidearm

finderella1

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a KWA USP .45 as a sidearm. The safety on that particular gun is non-functional and cosmetic only.

I would insert the loaded magazine into the gun, chamber a round, press down on the safety switch to decock the gun to allow "safe carry," and then put it in a holster with the magazine in the gun. I used to carry the pistol unloaded, but experience taught me that quick-drawing is all that matters.

"Even so, I'd always prefer to walk back to a spawn-point rather than losing a £30 mag."

That is a *suitcasey* mindset, you fight until you run out of options, you don't give up options before the game starts, so you cheap (or RS nylon) holster is dropping your mags? maybe its time to get a good holster for your gun, and by good I mean plastic/krydex, and keep your self in the fight.

And you read the part where I said that never once in 10 years of airsofting have I been shot while trying to load my pistol mag?

Dunno about you but, if I have to sling my AEG and switch to a pistol, I prefer to take cover while I do it rather than standing out in the open like a heroic BB magnet.

Beyond that, if I was earning millions from playing airsoft I might consider changing my playing style. Until then, I'm happy to carry on with my "*suitcasey* mindset" and keep remembering that airsoft is fun rather than life & death. :)

Nope. Doesn't happen to mine. If it's not cocked, and the safety engaged, then the hammer comes back to half cock, but when the safety is engaged, it won't go off no matter how hard (short of breaking it) I pull the trigger.

Great...now I broke it and it does disengage <_<

After pulling the trigger a dozen times in rapid succession with the safety on...

Funny, I seem to be alone in my pistol holstering technique.

I rack the slide to cock the gun and load a BB.

Then take the mag out and stick it in the mag pocket that almost all holsters have.

When I draw the pistol I also load the mag and it's ready to shoot. In 10 years of airsofting I've never lost a pistol mag and, honestly, I've never yet had an occasion where somebody's got the drop on me while I was loading the pistol mag.

Even so, I'd always prefer to walk back to a spawn-point rather than losing a £30 mag.

Just curious as to which pistol/s you use. I've never had a mag accidentally come out of my WA 1911 even when rolling around on the floor. The USP .45 on the other hand... *shudder* That's got the naffest mag catch in the world. I did have a mag drop out of my Glock 18 when I carried one but I soon ditched that in favour of the 1911.

Anyway, mine goes in loaded, cocked and ready to go. Sometimes I'll put the hammer to safe (the beauty of a WA 1911) and cock it on the draw. I don't use the safety catch when it's cocked, I rely on the safety grip and no, I've never ever had an AD. I did however fast draw down on someone when the hi-cap spring in my AEG suddenly went *whiiiiiiiiiirll* but that's one of those "so-cool" stories best kept for swapping over a few pints with some skirmish buddies :)

I use a hip holster as well, I tried some thigh holsters they just bugged me and didn't feel natural to draw from.

I'm wondering what state your sidearm is in when its holstered, as I'm not exactly sure as to what to do with mine! 

Do you keep the safety off, hammer cocked and ready to go, or the opposite, or anywhere in between? 

Your personal recommendations and reasons why please!

This depends very much on the pistol operating system & specific holster.

For example:

1911a1 in a 6004, you have to have the pistol "cocked & locked" to secure the thumb break. I put the manual safe on when holstered like this but it is very easy to wipe it off without noticing & I place no trust in it. I then just remove the mag before going into the safezone.

Glocks in general. I carry these uncocked in all but totally CQB environments. Mainly so that the hammer spring isn't permanently under tension, not really a safety issue more wear & tear.

I pretty much eschew pistols with decockers & don't like manual safeties either. As a compact gun the P7M8/M13 is a nice solution to making the gun safe when loaded. I've owned various MK23's & USP's and the operation on these has annoyed me in the long run.

In airsoft yeah, Id always keep my gun ready to shoot the second i pull it out. The chances that the trigger will go off in your hollister are very slight.

Although, with a real gun you would want it to be on safety for sure. So if realism is what your going for then, sure keep it on safety. Just practice at home maybe a few dozen times flipping the safety off after you pull it out of your hollister.

I forgot wether you named what type of hollister you are using. But if it requires you to undo a button or anything then Id go with ready-to-fire. If it is a quick draw holster than your best bet should be safety. Not only because a quick draw hollister would probably give you that extra second to turn off the safety, but your more prone to drop the gun, and if its not of great quality it can fall out during a scrim.

It also depends on the gun, some safetys on some pistols are alot harder to turn on and off than others. If you think its going to require 2 hands to turn off the safety, then dont turn it on. If on the other hand it can be turned off with the flick of a thumb then yeah, if you want, turn in it on.

Id have to say in all, no mater what gun or hollister, keep safety off. Its airsoft, not like your going to drop it and its going to blow a hole in your stomach. Or are you?...

Not to mention that you are supposed to keep your finger off the trigger unless you have a target sighted and are ready to fire. A USP in safe-carry mode has a stiff trigger pull and you are unlikely to get off an unexpected shot. Sidearms are supposed to save your *albatross* when your main weapon stops functioning. To do that, they have to be ready to fire in a snap.

Sidearms are supposed to save your *albatross* when your main weapon stops functioning. To do that, they have to be ready to fire in a snap.

And you know that, how?

A real squaddie is trained to clear jams from his primary weapon. If it jams, his training will compel him to carry out the drills he's been taught.

If he does decide that his primary is beyond repair, dumps it and draws a pistol (without bothering to take cover) then there might be a tiny amount of merit in having it cocked and ready to fire.

In airsoft it's even worse. I've honestly never seen anybody dump their rifle, draw a pistol and carry on shooting fluidly enough that it'd save them getting shot.

Hell, half the airsofters I know don't even notice their mag is empty until they're told to stop dry-firing!

If the average airsofter is hosing away at a target and his gun dies, completely, then he's most likely to stare at it, give it a shake, replace the mag, give it another shake then scratch his head before switching to his sidearm.

I'm sure lots of people will now post to say how they regularly toss their rifle on the floor and continue pluging heroically away with their sidearm and, what's more, I'm sure most of them are lying. <_<

Quick transitions are something geardo's practice in front of their bedroom mirror. They're not a skill you use in a skirmish.

If you actually realise your primary is dead before you get shot then I'd suggest ducking is the appropriate course of action. ;)

I've honestly never seen anybody dump their rifle, draw a pistol and carry on shooting fluidly enough that it'd save them getting shot.

I'm sure lots of people will now post to say how they regularly toss their rifle on the floor and continue plugging heroically away with their sidearm and, what's more, I'm sure most of them are lying.  <_<

Consider me one of those people. :D Key phrases are bolded for qualification.

I've only had to transition drill once in all the time I've played, and I did get two people.

Did it save me? God no. I got lit up by a M249 a split second later because I was standing out in the open. Durr.

But I had fun doing it. Transition drills are great for Airsoft amusement, and shouldn't be mistaken for an actual high-speed tactic.

(And my rifle was on a single-point sling. I'm not dropping my prized rifle on asphalt, thank you very much.)

(And my rifle was on a single-point sling. I'm not dropping my prized rifle on asphalt, thank you very much.)

Well, now you mention it, that's another thing...

If you are standing erect then you can hang the rifle from its sling.

Of course, that begs the question of why a person who's so milsim about their transitions would be stood like a shag on a rock in the face of hostile fire.

If you're crouching then your gun IS gonna hit the deck when you dump it. If you're prone then I guess you can lay it on the ground.

In either of these cases, however, the chances are that your transition is going to be a bit clumsy and you won't be drawing your pistol smoothly and whether it's cocked or not is hardly going to matter.

The "average" situation should dictate that you're hosing away with your rifle and it stops firing. In the blink of an eye you drop it, whip out a pistol and continue your assault.

And that just never happens.

Please don't think I'm having a pop at you BTW. :)

This is just one of the things about airsoft that I think people can get a bit pretentious about.

If you enjoy practicing this sort of thing and deliberately draw your pistol when your mag is emptied then go for it.

A few days ago somebody accused me of having "a bad attitude" because I holster my pistol without a mag in.

I should be prepared to lose mag's in order to push for a team victory.

Death or Glory!

Victory at any cost!

What a load of nonsense! :rolleyes:

I'm happy for anybody who plays airsoft to do whatever they like to do. What I DON'T approve of is when people start saying that they do the things they do because it's "better" than what others are doing.

I guess that's why it's so satisfying to find a hardcore geardo and light him up like a christmas tree. :P

Archived