Holstering your Sidearm

finderella1

well first off lol at Verymanynames for ripping off Hoot from Black Hawk Down.

and a holster, screw that!

personally i just rock out with my glock out! and any way, it doesnt have a safety

but in all seriousness, use a glock 17 with a Blackhawk Industries SERPA holster mounted on my thigh. Since my Glock has no safety i practice drawing. Not that it would be engaged anyway(Unles it was a 1911 with backstrap safety).

I break it down into 3 steps.

1.The Grip. Basically i move my hand down to my pistol. I wrap my fingers around the grip with my thumb over the back of the slide. Also disengaging the lock on the holster.

1.5. Moving Between 1 and 2, index finger never touches trigger.

2. Draw and move to standard Read Position. I use a close in ready position, not like in the movies with the whole arms out thing. I keep my arms close to my body. For two reasons, you tire yourself out quicker by exerting yourself keeping the pistol up, and two, smaller target and make less of a shadow. Oh yea almost forgot, in this position your finger is never EVER on the trigger.

2.5 Transition from 2 to 3. Index Finger Moves to Trigger

3. Aim and Squeeze. Basically the last one, and the title is self explanatory.

I go through all of these even when i am going to fire or just have a problem with my long gun(except for going to step 3). I practiced going through these motions hundreds of times in front of the mirror. Now i can draw consitently and always have a good shot picture and grip when drawing in time of need or not.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When my pistol is holstered the mag is out, so I don't go accidentally dropping the mag out in the middle of the field. When I need my pistol (which is rarely) just unholster it, slip the mag in and rack the slide. It doesn't take very long and ensures that I won't loose my mag on the field. If I needed my pistol more I would probably invest in a different holster, one that wouldn't have the chance to accidentally drop out my mag. Then I would have the mag in and the pistol hot with safety off, so I could draw and fire in the same movement.

Cheers!

- CapaciousZepher

Well I'm sure all this "clearing chambers" thing is a good idea, but exactly how are you supposed to clear the chamber of the average GBB?

Take mag out, cock it, as on a real weapon - still a round in the chamber.

Fire off round in chamber - unless its the last, it will just chamber the next round

Fair enough, to put an empty but gassed up mag in to do it, but who actually carries one of them? Any mags I have go out with ammo in them.

For storage, yes, fire off the last round or use a cleaning rod or whatever, but not practical during breaks in play.

In the field, I carry my USP decocked and safety off, because forgetting the safety tends to get me "killed". With it decocked it wont go off without actually pulling the trigger - not gonna happen with it holstered, and finger off when I'm not actually intending to shoot.

My local site requires pistols to only be holstered in the safe zone, so if the holster is on my belt then thats where it will stay, same condition as in the field. If it comes out, it will be mag out, safety on.

Well I'm sure all this "clearing chambers" thing is a good idea, but exactly how are you supposed to clear the chamber of the average GBB?

Take mag out, cock it, as on a real weapon - still a round in the chamber.

Fire off round in chamber - unless its the last, it will just chamber the next round

Fair enough, to put an empty but gassed up mag in to do it, but who actually carries one of them? Any mags I have go out with ammo in them.

Push the slide stop lever up as you shoot the BB in the BB trap or other designated safe direction.

-Sale

Archived