'Aged' AK Plastic Furniture

NegativeCambre

I've read the writeups by much more tallented people then me on how to 'age' your AK's plastic furniture to make it look more convincing. The other methods require paint, skill, patience, skill, and more money (and skill) then my method--but the results are probably better.

But, considering I was just sprucing up my 'loaner' 028 a little bit, I didn't see the harm in a little experimentation, and I'm glad I did--

gallery_17063_1068_136927.jpg

gallery_17063_1068_199531.jpg

All that was required was about 20 minutes, your standard black permanent marker, a bottle of acetone nail-polish remover, and a handful of paper towels.

Just color in various 'splotches' on the furniture with the permanent marker, and then wipe off the colored in area with a paper towel doused in polish remover. Repeat this until you get the 'shade' you want--

Also, if you want an even more beat-up look, knick the plastic with a knife or just a flathead screwdriver to dent it, and then use the marker technique. The results will be a more battle-worn appearance.

Note that the acetone polish remover will also remove some of the 'sheen' of the plastic furniture, which was an effect I was glad to have achieved.

Hope you find this helpful--

Steve

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Done mine! I'll try upload the pic tomorrow, its not working at the moment because tiscali is the -(CENSORED)- internet service on the planet

+1 for the idea

Thanks for all the responses guys. Yeah, like Fin, I'd love to see your own results using this technique. Post up your pictures!

I've been wondering how adding another shade of marker into the mix would look. I'm thinking about experimenting with a small patch with a red marker--but I'm not convinced that will look that great.

Steve

Its a bit darker than in picture but is a lot lot better than the TM furniture.

PICT0231.jpg

Instead of cloth dipped in nail varnish remover i found some boots (company) nail varnish removing pads which i could use straight away. I also ruffed up the surface lightly with a file before i did the work. Thanks again! :D

Its a bit darker than in picture but is a lot lot better than the TM furniture.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w255/Fin2233/PICT0231.jpg

Instead of cloth dipped in nail varnish remover i found some boots (company) nail varnish removing pads which i could use straight away. I also ruffed up the surface lightly with a file before i did the work.    Thanks again! :D

Turned out great! I think I'm going to go over mine with the claws of a hammer in some places to make it look more 'beat' on.

I'm actually happier with the appearance of my guns faux wood then I think I would be with a lot of the cheaper 'wood' kits. This looks a lot more in my mind what I think an Ak47 furniture should look like--

As my Army buddy said when he originally saw my un-touched CYMA... "there are insurgents in Iraq that would kill to have an AK that looked that new."

Steve

"Its a bit darker than in picture but is a lot lot better than the TM furniture."

well, that's not saying much :D not bashing, just joking...

glad to see how everyones' turned out. after seeing that thread i had linked a few days ago, it sort of made me want to, but this has kept the fire burning.

this weekend i plan on doing this and filling my two MP001s stocks with Great Stuff expanding foam and adding a few weights like in the guide that Baymyst wrote at ASR.

i also want to give my faux wood MP001 the aged look as well right now, but more like the guy's M14 in the thread i linked to.

i say all these ones i have seen recently top the aging guide that is over at Red-Alliance by far, though that gives a great base line.

EDIT

oh yeah, NegativeCambre, you should rough up your receiver/barrel some too if you give your faux wood some scars, just don't over do it of course. a buddy of mine's turned out bad after he sanded too much from his receiver, looks crappy now, but he is just to lazy to repaint it and start over, lol.

1) Thanks for posting this! Many people can benefit from it. Sharing this sort of things helps a lot of people out.

2) Ive used this technique before on a set of faux wood grips for an M1911A1 non-firing replica for my nephew's birthday. It comes out great, but comes off very easily.

A word of advice: Use clear or beige finish lacquer to lightly coat the work you have done.

I didnt do that. I was told that it would be fine by the Hobby Company shop owner. It faded after one handling. I attempted a touch up, but it came out looking terrible, so I used the acetone to whipe the grips clear and then redid it from scratch with some lacquer to make it more durable. Hasnt worn off yet and he handles it quite a lot. I with I had lacquered it to begin with. Save yourself the trouble when the permenant marker wears off. Also this restores the shiny glossy appearance of the furniture. They can be lost when the acetone disolves the plastic.

I am thinking of doing this for my modded UTG Paratrooper. I converted the folding stock to a full stock, I changed the body for a regular CM.028 body and I am soon going to order the final stock and connector part from a buddy on this forum. I want the Wood to look a bit better than it is in, the stock I am also getting looks like it needs to be more realistic. Did you also paint the whole front end after the and grip!? The gray paint on my paratrooper is coming off if you scratch it really easy. I might try this, it is removable right!? Thanks for the help.

Archived